Scope recommendation??????

As far as your Burris, I have the same scope on a 6.5 Creed, it works well. I've had it to 1200 yards. I will be buying another some day. They are awesome scopes for the money.
But for ELR, I would use it if it's all I had, but would probably be lacking. It's a great scope for general shooting to 1000 yards or slightly farther.

Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56, second focal plane. I would not recommend first focal plane. The extra lenses in an FFP scope diminish image quality in low light situations and and add extra expense. If you are reticle ranging (a sketchy endeavor at best), you want to be on max power anyway so FFP gets you no real advantage.

The Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60 might be worth looking at if your platform is stable enough to use that much optical power and you should easily find one for around $1500.

does no one like the bushnell elite tactical xrsii? it is affordable, and it tracks awesome.
did my tall target test and ten mil up over 4 and everything was perfect....up over and back to zero, all was spot on...
the glass is great on this scope...it has the ed prime glass and I cant find anything wrong with the scope....I love it.

I don't know why folks are referring to their rig shooting 1200 when we're talking about twice that far which becomes an exponentially more difficult set of requisites. I'm not griping but it's meaningless in this conversation. Everything magnifies at those ranges and the overall optical performance required to resolve targets a mile and a half away is not what you need or can get by with at 1200. One should be optically comfortable when behind the glass and not straining with CA, (chromatic aberrations) casts, edge focus and resolution. A super crisp and clean reticle at high magnification is essential. To shoot well you have to be able to relax everything. With that said, in your price range, the Vortex Golden Eagle, Razor GenII, used Nightforce, Kahles or S&B. (Tangent Theta is my first choice but twice your budget) You may consider a Sphur mount as well, they are expensive but with as much recoil as is in the Cheytac I would not settle or compromise anything.

There is a HUGE difference between 1500 & 2500. I shoot 1500 often with excellent results. I have shot out to 2200. But for my own needs, 2500 is beyond my realm of needs or capabilities....unless I would see a coyote out that far.

I see a lot of people referring the Vortex Razor Gen II. I have had one, and sold it. Shot behind several others. To me, they are not worth the price range unless you get one used and in your price range. The glass is sub-par for a $2500 scope. I would buy a used S&B way before a used Razor Gen II.

E428F231-6441-4D69-8FBD-6D7501174592.jpeg
Pop

If it works, here's a list of what folks depend on versus some personal opinions that may or may not be based on hearsay. This should help anyone who is trying to put together some ideas for a gun build when shooting beyond 1760.

Osoh
JH

except he is not shooting 2 miles or even close.
i shoot a 5-22 nf at 2000, but am adding a 7-35 for my 338 edge.

i would save money for the 7-35.
100 moa internal, with a minor rail you can go from 100 out
if you truely start at 1000 or more ( more rail)then 2500 is not an issue
he never said what or how big his targets are ?

View attachment 112405 Pop

If it works, here's a list of what folks depend on versus some personal opinions that may or may not be based on hearsay. This should help anyone who is trying to put together some ideas for a gun build when shooting beyond 1760.

Osoh
JH

View attachment 112405 Pop

Osoh
JH
Interesting seeing a couple names at and near the top that I didn't expect, Bushnell and Burris....
Noticed there are no cup and core bullets near the top. And liked seeing Lehigh up there, that's a company I'm keeping a eye on.

I thought the chart might be of some use to a few folks for ideas, the original post stated something like a goal range for shooting 1760 to 2500 yards and yes its not 3520 but still comparable in what one would want in scope preformance.

I don't understand what the big deal is about the concern on target size and not knowing or asking prior to passing on info.

I may need to research more versus trying to give advice or help. Cheers

Osoh
JH

I'm going to try my Burris Xtr on the 16lb.
Edge . I have a 55moa base headed my way and I'm working on the 175 moa Ivey right now . Just getting things together now . I still need to heal up from my Open Heart Surgery this summer . I can shoot prone right now but not many shots . Still have some pain .
Thanks for all the info you guys have !

I'm going to try my Burris Xtr on the 16lb.
Edge . I have a 55moa base headed my way and I'm working on the 175 moa Ivey right now . Just getting things together now . I still need to heal up from my Open Heart Surgery this summer . I can shoot prone right now but not many shots . Still have some pain .
Thanks for all the info you guys have !

Ugh man that sucks. Hope you get better soon.

simply more magnification to hit smaller targets
or the middle of a score target.
i shoot with a group that does GROUP and SCORE at 2000.
yes size matters
I thought the chart might be of some use to a few folks for ideas, the original post stated something like a goal range for shooting 1760 to 2500 yards and yes its not 3520 but still comparable in what one would want in scope preformance.

I don't understand what the big deal is about the concern on target size and not knowing or asking prior to passing on info.

I may need to research more versus trying to give advice or help. Cheers

Osoh
JH

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts