Scope field evaluations on rokslide

Happy too.
Currently in the process of "upgrading" my scopes. I know my Razor Gen2 will fail. Happy to test it officially but it doesn't like tipping over on the bipod. Despite being heavy, she is delicate. Just got an Arken EP5 for my Rimx than has been great, happy to test that and see how it compares. Just picked up a Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 nto check out in person. If I keep it I will certainly drop it.

Trying to decide on my replacement for my Razor Gen2. Looking at the Minox Zp5 5-25 MR4 or March FX 4.5-28. If Nightforce had a decent reticle (imho) I would already have an Atacr.

Happy to buy a TT if they are as durable as a Nightforce now that they have a decent reticle. Would like to see some other test or a money back guarantee before dropping that much money on an unknown.
I love NF Mill XT and Mill C. I have both ATACR's. They are Fantastic love those reticles. What don't you not like the reticles?
That's one thing I have learned here is that reticles are very personal. What some love others hate.lol

I also have the Vortex Razor Gen III 6x36x56 on my recently finished custom RIM-X from desert precision. Kenny did an Amazing job on her. That gen 3 is freaking ridiculously awesome. Love that reticle too.

I love NF Mill XT and Mill C. I have both ATACR's. They are Fantastic love those reticles. What don't you not like the reticles?
That's one thing I have learned here is that reticles are very personal. What some love others hate.lol

I also have the Vortex Razor Gen III 6x36x56 on my recently finished custom RIM-X from desert precision. Kenny did an Amazing job on her. That gen 3 is freaking ridiculously awesome. Love that reticle too.
The Nightforce Mil XT/C feel very busy/cluttered to me for quick hold overs and the main stadia are not bold enough at low power for the feel of a good duplex. I much prefer some like the MR4 in the Minox or Vortex EBR7. My Arken EP5 has a very good reticle, feels uncluttered, illumination is only the center crosshair and main stadia are bolder. Not a perfect reticle but much more user friendly than the current offerings from Nightforce.

I feel Nightforce knows how to make a good scope but no idea about reticles. They bought Horus after basically everyone had already moved on from such crazy busy reticles.

Would love to hear your explanation of Leupold's reticle designs.
They have mastered the art of offering a lot of "stuff" and a duplex reticle. I really don't see anything they offer that is current or leading edge.

They offer a lot of FUDD reticles like BDC, second focal mildot, etc that have absolutely no purpose in modern shooting in my opinion. Most of these people like to have a reticle that "does stuff" but still either use it like a Duplex or just kentucky windage it.

Their attempts at modern mil precision reticles are usable but certainly fall short of many others in the industry.

I do applaud Leupold for still offering the reticle change service and at a reasonable price. And they offer a multitude of duplex style reticles for target shooters of different tastes.

If they could made a VX6 durable I would be forced to order it with one if their illuminated Duplex style reticles and special order mil turrets which they offer for European customers. Unfortunately for them their are other options out there from companies that have not sat on their laurels.

Butt that's just my opinion and Leupold isn't asking for my engineering help

Have you no Christmas spirit it is the the season to be thankful. Thankful that there are still guys willing to buy all of these "failure" scopes we are trying to rid ourselves from. 😁

I was really surprised the Athlon Helos 2-12x42 failed so many times including their replacements. I was looking forward to trying one out for myself untill I read how horrible they tested in reliability.

How can a $530 scope experience zero shift just by riding in the back seat of a car?

The Bushnell Match Pro ED not too surprised that it failed. It didn't do too well on one of a YouTube reviewer's test either.

I was really surprised the Athlon Helos 2-12x42 failed so many times including their replacements. I was looking forward to trying one out for myself untill I read how horrible they tested in reliability.

How can a $530 scope experience zero shift just by riding in the back seat of a car?

The Bushnell Match Pro ED not too surprised that it failed. It didn't do too well on one of a YouTube reviewer's test either.
The athlon, like most scopes is built around a marketable feature set and price point, not around durability. Features are what most people demand when they buy a scope. 6x, FFP, illumination, locking turrets, etc.

Most have assumed the reliability was given. Or occasionally having to zero was a given. Hopefully the market changes, and demands durability, and the manufactures start giving better options. It's much harder to market than a list of features on the sales ad though.

Last edited:
The athlon, like most scopes is built around a marketable feature set and price point, not around durability. Features are what most people demand when they buy a scope. 6x, FFP, illumination, locking turrets, etc.

Most have assumed the reliability was given. Or occasionally having to zero was a given. Hopefully the market changes, and demands durability, and the manufactures start giving better options. It's much harder to market than a list of features on the sales add though.
Again I would argue you get what you pay for! At the $600 and below price point you can either have tough reliability or you can have features but probably not both. The Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 is absolutely reliable and tough as nails with exceptional glass. In my opinion it may be the best value out there but its price point is $1700-2000. That price point buys you a lot of scope. Surely people are not expecting to get the same quality in a $500 scope?🤔 The Ares ETR is a nice option as well but it is a $1100-1500 scope. Again when talking tier one scopes there are few options that will not do what you ask of them. The Helos is a $499 scope. It belongs in the same category as every other scope in that price point. The SWFA gives you rugged reliability but poor glass quality, not suitable for shooting in extreme conditions more than 600 yards realistically. The Helos offers better glass but lacks the ruggedness. You can have one but not both in most cases. This complaint and comparison is unrealistic. It is like comparing a Razor Gen 3 to a Diamondback and griping because your DB scope broke. They are not the same animal and never will be even though they have similar features. Its like buying a 2-wheel drive Silverado W/T and then complaining that it will not go or do what you buddies Z-71Trail Boss will. At the same time you may not need all the Z-71 has to offer. Again, need should drive your purchase. Don't buy more scope than you need or know how to use. Start small and work your way up as you out grow your present set up.

Last edited:
They have mastered the art of offering a lot of "stuff" and a duplex reticle. I really don't see anything they offer that is current or leading edge.

They offer a lot of FUDD reticles like BDC, second focal mildot, etc that have absolutely no purpose in modern shooting in my opinion. Most of these people like to have a reticle that "does stuff" but still either use it like a Duplex or just kentucky windage it.

Their attempts at modern mil precision reticles are usable but certainly fall short of many others in the industry.

I do applaud Leupold for still offering the reticle change service and at a reasonable price. And they offer a multitude of duplex style reticles for target shooters of different tastes.

If they could made a VX6 durable I would be forced to order it with one if their illuminated Duplex style reticles and special order mil turrets which they offer for European customers. Unfortunately for them their are other options out there from companies that have not sat on their laurels.

Butt that's just my opinion and Leupold isn't asking for my engineering help
Thanks for explaining this, I think….So, let me summarize….the greatest US made optics maker cannot define an exact purpose for each and every optic the build and then produce a "best in class" optic for that purpose?

Here is the recipe…

Fudd jr - 3-9x32 optic in gloss blue/black finish. Parallax set at 100yds. Duplex reticle…..turrets are about 0.25moa, except when they are not. Glass clarity is define as good enough to identify deer sex at 250 yds. 3" eye relief for guaranteed scope eye on big magnums. Sub-20 ox $200 msrp

FUDD - same exterior, but 40mm lens. 150yd parallax. 2FP BDC or moa scale or mi dot. Unreliable, but generally clicks 1/4 moa turrets capped. Clarity to 350yds by above test. 3.5"-4" eye relief. Sub 20 oz $250 msrp

FUDD XTREME - Same as FUDD, but one 2fp reticle option and matte finish…add weights to get to 20 oz $350 msrp

Hunter basic - 4-20x40 ffp reticle mil scale with no tree pattern. Reliable turrets in mil or moa. Real clarity. Adjustable parallax, Drop resistant. Still hits animal with under 3ft drops on all sides. Exposed locking turrets…zero stop….but not tall. Illumination. Locking eyepiece. Padded eye ring. 4" eye relief. 26 oz Made in Japan $800

REAL Hunter - 4-24x50 mil ffp scale tree reticle. Digital illumination. Reliable short turrets that lock and zero stop. Real clarity. Adjustable parallax, Drop resistant. Still hits animal with under 3ft drops on all sides. Locking eyepiece. Padded eye ring. 4" eye relief. Nub for easy magnification rotation. Can hammer between shots and shoot 0.5" group with capable rifle. 30 oz Made in Japan $1200

TIER ONE - 6-36x60 48ozmil tree reticle. Digital illumination. Reliable tall turrets that lock and zero stop. Best possible clarity. Adjustable parallax, Drop resistant. Still hits animal with under 6ft drops on all sides. Locking eyepiece. Padded eye ring. 4" eye relief. Nub for easy magnification rotation. Can hammer between shots and shoot 0.5" group with capable rifle. Made in Japan, USA, etc. $4000, but $500 discount for YouTube review and $1000 discount if 3 future buyers use your name!

sarcasm off

How did anyone, anywhere in the world ever successfully shoot an animal with a scoped rifle prior to 1992 ?
Back then 400 yards was a long shot. Most of us knew enough to zero our rifles at 200-250 and then hold across his back. If the wind was blowing we would throw in a little Kentucky windage and hope for the best!😉 Nobody dialed their scopes. If you were lucky you had mil-dots. We zeroed and left it and held holdovers. The first time I shot a 1000 yards I shot it with a Millet 6-24 with a mil-dot on top of a 308. It was a Kimber LPT. It was in the late 90s. What amazes me is all this debate over scopes and then some guys takes an 06 with adjustable sights and tattoos a 24" circle at a 1000 yards. All the fancy stuff we have now we could only dream of prior to 92. The Mark 4 changed everything. Those original scopes were 2nd FP with MOA turrets and mil reticles. How did we ever do it without a NF???🤔🤨😂 What the new tier one scopes allow us to do is really push the envelope on accuracy and distance. Nobody would have dreamed that a 2 mile shot (3520 yards) was even possible back in the 90s. If someone did make one it was chalked up to dumb luck. Now it is not only possible it can be done with some measure of precision. So again what do you want to do with your scope. A scope made for rugged reliability in the mountains under $1000 is probably not going to let you shoot beyond 600 in adverse conditions. The scope that will allow for that at the same price point is probably not going to be that rugged. One of the days we hunted in Norway was cold with a fog layer covering the mountain and a slight rain. We are talking about reliability to hold zero. In those conditions you need to know your scope won't fog up as well. While holding zero is agreed the most important function of a scope there is so much more at play when hunting in extreme terrain and unfortunately you can't really get everything you need for that in a modern sub $500 scope. At least not one I have seen. If I were in that price range for a hunting scope I would look for and Older VXIII gold ring. I am just thinking out loud here!🤔

Last edited:

Recent Posts