S&W 460V trail gun

Don, if the Springfield works better for you and you are uncomfortable with the grip safety….I think that you can drill and pin (keeping it in the off position) the grip safety the way that many people have done on the 1911's. Check and verify….It may not work on the Springfield! Just a quick look at my XDS without disassembly…..I think that it should be pretty easy! memtb
I'll check it out. Would be nice it worked. Than just have to buy another chest holster . 👍🏼

I may own a 460 someday, but more for a short range hunting round or shorter high risk walks. I could definitely pack a 460 for some of my spring bear hunting. Generally, I would not pack a 460 for fishing or general hiking because I just don't see the risk in those situations.

For me it is all about risk mitigation and a 10mm lowers the risk to an acceptable level versus the weight for the majority of my situations. I completely understand if someone wants to pack more pistol. I completely understand if someone wants to use a rifle. I just feel like a 10mm with a hard cast bullet will more than stop any bear if I can hold my stuff together and do my part!

There will be a Glock 20 10mm and (2) .357 with green dot CT grips for the 2 ladies. Also bear spray with 2 of us always.

I know the chances are very small but our last trip was May of 2021. A guide was killed 2 weeks before we arrived in West Yellowstone and a hiker was mauled the day after we left Mammoth. Another lady was dragged from her tent and killed a month after we returned home.

There was bear spray residue on the guide. None of the 3 employed a firearm as I'm aware.

I'm looking for a have and not need situation if possible. I prefer the revolver because it goes bang and the 460 is a lot of bang.

I do see the merit of the 10mm and the spray also. We will have each and a little extra.

I've enjoyed the posts. Thanks for everyone jumping in.

There will be a Glock 20 10mm and (2) .357 with green dot CT grips for the 2 ladies. Also bear spray with 2 of us always.

I know the chances are very small but our last trip was May of 2021. A guide was killed 2 weeks before we arrived in West Yellowstone and a hiker was mauled the day after we left Mammoth. Another lady was dragged from her tent and killed a month after we returned home.

There was bear spray residue on the guide. None of the 3 employed a firearm as I'm aware.

I'm looking for a have and not need situation if possible. I prefer the revolver because it goes bang and the 460 is a lot of bang.

I do see the merit of the 10mm and the spray also. We will have each and a little extra.

Well after reading this post when I see a guide being killed, someone that knows a hell of a lot more than me, that puts some fear in me. I realize that our AK members have more experience with wild animals than I do and most of them are in the bear spray camp. Maybe that comes from their outdoor experience. If you don't want to carry a heavy handgun, make sure you have a heavy rifle cartridge.

If a 10mm and two 357s won't do it, a 460 won't either.

Bear Spray can malfunction or not work at all:

Last edited:
I'd go with the lightest 454 Casull you can find or a moderate 45 Colt. Hit probability goes up the more rounds you get down range, and a hot load in a small gun is going to throw you off target and slow down your follow ups. At close range a hot load won't kill any more dead. Something controllable and moderately powerful is a better choice than something with a lot of power that more or less guarantees you only get one shot off.

I carried a S&W 460V all over the mountains in WY. I used the kenai chest rig and handloads. 325 grain hard cast lead flat nose bullets. I also own a Springfield 10mm and might switch to carrying it for less bulk. I do like the 460 and the added weight does make it easier to get on target accurately.

If I got my hands on the P320 Xten, I'm sure that would be my go to every time.

If a 10mm and two 357s won't do it, a 460 won't either.

Then…..neither will a 45-70! Which seems to be one of the "Sweatheart" cartridges of choice by many on hunting forums in bear related topics!

My 400 grain, wide metplat, cast bullets @ 1500+ fps mv surpass many factory load 45-70 loads.

And for those that believe in the fantasy that putting more rounds into the fray is an advantage…..I suspect that I can get 5 rounds into play as quick or quicker than most with a 45-70 lever gun! And I ain't nutt'n special with a handgun! 😉 Jus Say'n! memtb

Bear Spray can malfunction or not work at all:

The reason I suggested testing your bear spray!!! Very few of us go into the field…..never having fired our firearm! 🤔😉😁 memtb