S&W 460V trail gun

Moss

We are headed out west for a few weeks in the early fall. We will visit friends in Idaho and Montana. We will spend several days in Yellowstone and Teton NP's also. I plan to hike and fish both in and out of the parks.

I am from the South and we have very small black bear and the occasional cougar. I usually carry concealed more so for the trespassers than any animal threat. I will be carrying a S&W 460V on this trip.

I'd appreciate any advice on ammo or even handgun recommendations for this trip. I am no expert on larger dangerous game and their habits so that info is appreciated also.

If this is the wrong forum, please move or delete. Thanks>Moss

If a guy ends up needing a revolver to stop a bear attack, S&W 460V that'd be a good one.It can make use of 3 different cartridges, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 460S&W. HSM has a nice 460S&W load with a 325gr lead gas check, 1,824fps and 2,400 ft lb energy, their Bear Load! Ya probably might not even see a Grizzly but, sleep better at night with good personnel protection in the tent. Have a holster along that works for you, don't even worry about packN along a little extra weight and by God, good luck out West!

We rarely take a pistol for hiking and fishing. Bear spray and good bear country choices to minimize the odds of a bad situation are sufficient for me. Avoid surprising a bear and avoid smelling like an easy meal. Don't cook bacon and toss the grease on the tree next to your tent. We keep everything in ziplock bags within our packs and avoid smelly foods.

The pistol and bear spray both go if I plan to be sneaking around through the brush and packing meat. A bell is added protection if it is going to be dark or you are near a noisy creek.

I have packed a 40S&W during archery season, but I recently upgraded to a 10mm with bear loads after doing some research. I am mostly in black bear country. If I was in grizzly country regularly sneaking around and retrieving meat I would consider packing my 44mag, but I think the 10mm with 16 rounds of bear loads is sufficient. The hard cast or solid copper bullets seem to easily punch through solid objects.

The 44mag or a 454 or 460 would have more energy, but the key is to place the shot during a bad situation and then have enough punch to get through the chest or skull.

The best protection seems to avoid being solo. Just talking creates enough noise to significantly reduce the odds of surprising a bear in areas where an encounter could be an issue. Someone is going to have a broadside shot or another can of bear spray.

We are headed out west for a few weeks in the early fall. We will visit friends in Idaho and Montana. We will spend several days in Yellowstone and Teton NP's also. I plan to hike and fish both in and out of the parks.

I am from the South and we have very small black bear and the occasional cougar. I usually carry concealed more so for the trespassers than any animal threat. I will be carrying a S&W 460V on this trip.

I'd appreciate any advice on ammo or even handgun recommendations for this trip. I am no expert on larger dangerous game and their habits so that info is appreciated also.

Oh, good...a bear/pistol thread!

A. Save the last round for yourself, or
B. Get some bear spray, it works.

I had a 460V that I packed around Montana for an elk hunt. I'd never do it again. It's a ton of weight to carry as a "just in case" gun. I sold it and bought a Glock 20 gen 5 10mm. It holds a lot more rounds and you can get more shots on target.

I'm assuming that it's one of the short barreled versions…..in which case I'm bleeding with envy! 😜 If so, and you don't already have one, look into a cross-chest carry rig. It really makes the large, heavy handguns pleasant to carry.

I have a Galco Kodiak for my 8 3/8" XVR. It's pretty pleasant to carry but, with that long barrel….I won't win any "quick draw" contests! memtb

B. Get some bear spray, it works.

Most of the time! Just like a good handgun used by a proficient handgunner works ….most of the time!

If you're going to use bear spray…..make certain that all of your bear attacks come from "downwind"! 😜😂 You should also practice putting the spray into use quickly. And you should "test fire" it to be certain it works! No different that practice with your handgun!

Nothing is infallible….carry both! You can always "season"the bear after you kill it! memtb

Just ordered completely custom cross chest holster for Glock Model 40 from Hosking Holsters. Shipped within 48hrs. Arrived inside of a week. Currently using a armpit horizontal holster and looking forward to trying cross chest holster along with chest bino harness. Should be easier to draw. Not entirely sure how it will work with binos and drawing a bow.

I had a 460V that I packed around Montana for an elk hunt. I'd never do it again. It's a ton of weight to carry as a "just in case" gun. I sold it and bought a Glock 20 gen 5 10mm. It holds a lot more rounds and you can get more shots on target.

I've mentioned this several times…..carrying a handgun while rifle hunting is a huge waste of energy. If rifle hunting in grizzly country, the rifle is a bit more effect (unless hunting with small cartridges/bullets) and should be in your hands…..effectively making the handgun useless/senseles! Now if the handgun will be sleeping in your tent with you…..having a good handgun is great!

If I'm "handgun hunting"….I darn sure won't be carry a rifle as a back-up!

Oh and djacobs629, if the 460 was a 5" model, and you are interested in selling it (while not financing your retiremen) …..I might be interested ! memtb

Last edited:
Just ordered completely custom cross chest holster for Glock Model 40 from Hosking Holsters. Shipped within 48hrs. Arrived inside of a week. Currently using a armpit horizontal holster and looking forward to trying cross chest holster along with chest bino harness. Should be easier to draw. Not entirely sure how it will work with binos and drawing a bow.

It's doable with binoculars…..adding a bow into the mix adds another dimension to the equation! memtb