460 s&w

Few videos I saw with the TC encores looked like a handful at 5-6 lbs. I might look into a 45 Raptor Or 45VRAP. I would like a few hundred more FPS than what the socom can muster. 250's Maximus would be sweet going out bound at 22-2300fps. I got the 260's in .458 to expand fully but not shed the petals down to 1275ish FPS.

X frames have to be heavy in build to contain the pressures, why the cylinder has one less hole too. I too own a 44 Model 29-2 and while it's a great wheelgun, no comparison to the 460. I have a buddy with a 500 and I like the 460 better. To me, the 460 just handles better. There is a story behind my 460 that is way too long for posting. I'll pm it to you. Lets just say that Smith and Wesson stands 110% behind their firearms, I find that quite refreshing today.

Having used a S&W 629 with heavy load 265 grain SWC, and a X frame 460 with heavy load 400 grainers ..... from a shooting comfort comparison, give me the 460. The 629 is just plain "painful"! Obviously weight and porting helps the 460. With the additional horsepower and comfort....I'll use the X Frame 460. I guess though....if it comes down to "swimming across a raging river", I'd rather have the 629! :D memtb

Little update on my XVR. S&W has replaced not only the barrel but the firing pin and strain screws under warranty. I was having a sporadic no fire issue. S&W Performance Center handled it just fine. Seems as though some S&W wheelguns have under size (OAL Length) firing pins. 4 week turn around and Smith paid the shipping both ways.

Having used a S&W 629 with heavy load 265 grain SWC, and a X frame 460 with heavy load 400 grainers ..... from a shooting comfort comparison, give me the 460. The 629 is just plain "painful"! Obviously weight and porting helps the 460. With the additional horsepower and comfort....I'll use the X Frame 460. I guess though....if it comes down to "swimming across a raging river", I'd rather have the 629! :D memtb

I was just getting around to asking the difference when I seen this post. I have a 629 with 6" bbl and wanted the the 460 w a 5" bbl as a bear defense gun and because I do not have one.LOL

I was just getting around to asking the difference when I seen this post. I have a 629 with 6" bbl and wanted the the 460 w a 5" bbl as a bear defense gun and because I do not have one.LOL
My wife ran a cylinder full thru it when I first got it, her response, " Hey, that's not bad"!

Though I didn't need it....I'd like to have another, somewhere around 3 1/2 to 5 inches! memtb

Last edited:
Another Update on the 460 S&W rifle.

I read a lot about the hard cast bullets and was dying to try them because they were touted to be the best bear load.

I set up the recoil device and the chronograph to get plenty of data. I poster the velocities and energies earlier but will re post them for those that didn't see the test.

After testing the 395 grain hard cast, I was a little disappointed in their performance compared to other loads.
200 grain Hornady factory = 2999 ft/sec Average (In the rifle) with 3995 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.
300 grain XTP mag = 2492 ft/sec Average with 4137 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.
325 grain XTP mag = 2355 ft/sec Average with 4003 ft/lbs of Muzzle energy.
395 grain Corbon hard cast = 1900 ft/sec Average with 3167 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.

Velocity and energy was below all other loads and I assumed it was because of the lead bullets.

After getting the rifle home and using the bore scope with it just dry patched. I saw leading and proceeded to remove it. It was very stubborn and I ended up soaking the bore over night in Boretech Eliminator and continued the next morning. after getting the lead our I went back and looked at my XVR pistol with the bore scope and found lead in it from shooting the hard cast bullets.

Conclusion : The velocity and pressure is apparently to much for the hard cast lead in the 460 S&W and I for one will not use these bullets in ether weapon because of the leading. What others do is there decision and ok as long as they know what will happen to their firearm. The danger lies in the pressure that increases when a barrel is leaded if you shoot a jacketed bullet.

I'm sure many that use the hard cast bullet will disagree with my findings and that's ok to because I wanted to use the hard cast and bought 3 boxes for the 460 and 1 box for the 454 thinking they would be great for bear and hogs, But with the leading issue and almost a 1000 ft/lbs less energy that the 300 grain loads, the choice is simple to me.

We use to add more Zink to our lead cast bullets but still found that they leaded if pushed to fast and just didn't work in Magnum pistols that could push them over 800 ft/sec. I had though bullet makers had figured out how to keep the hard cast from leading a barrel and they may have improved it but not enough for the 460 S&W or the 454 Casull.

Just my experiences with them.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I'd look into both the 300 and 325 Swift A-frame for your 460. I load the 325 A-frame in my 7.5" casull to 1550fps and whack paper plates at 100 yards all day with my one-hole sight. It has put down moose and caribou with ease, but I load up 360 gas checks at 1500fps for bear. H110, W296 and Lil' Gun will be your go to powders, but for the heavies you may try some AA1680 or even CFE BLK. I'd also look into trying some Bear tooth bullets, they are worth the wait.

Reuben

I like the A Frames and bought both the 300's and the 325's to try in the 460 rifle but have not tried them yet. They are more expensive, but if they out perform the XTP's they will become my go to bullet.

J E CUSTOM

Few videos I saw with the TC encores looked like a handful at 5-6 lbs. I might look into a 45 Raptor Or 45VRAP. I would like a few hundred more FPS than what the socom can muster. 250's Maximus would be sweet going out bound at 22-2300fps. I got the 260's in .458 to expand fully but not shed the petals down to 1275ish FPS.

I decided up front to build a brake for mine just to make is fun to shoot. The recoil of the 300's and the 325's are almost identical and manageable with a brake. Without one it might be to much for some.

Recoil in the 300 grain loads in the 26" barreled Encore were 47.0 ft/lbs without a brake and 30.1 with the brake.
The 325 grain load produced 47,3 ft/lbs without a brake, and 31.3 ft/lbs with a brake. I am working on another design that I hope will be over 50% reduction.

I will say this, I have owned many 44 Mags and the 460 is easier on the shooter. It may be the weight of the X Frame pistol or the powder that the 44 mag uses that makes the difference.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
H110 and 296 are the most common powders to push the heavy bullets in 454 Casull. And the 460 is faster, but similar. My brother has killed moose, grizzly, and Dall ram with his .454s. But most Alaskans I know carry their pistols for bear protection, rather than as their hunting weapon.

Most load heavier hard cast lead bullets for deep penetration on large bears. They don't expand, but with the semi-wad cutter flat-faced designs, they still prove lethal, plowing through bones and all else.

300gr on up would be common for bear protection loads. I load 335gr hard cast gas check bullets for my .454, but I don't hunt with it. A local man stopped a large old charging boar brown bear with 360gr bullets from his Ruger Alaskan .454. Make sure to tightly crimp the bullets. This guy's revolver jammed after his killing shot because his bullets jumped their crimps. Had the revolver jammed one shot prior, he'd be dead.

For smaller game, expanding bullets would probably be fine. For large bears at close range, heavy hard cast semi-wad cutter bullets are most common and recommended.

MASS AND PENETRATION IF BEARS COULD BE A PROBLEM!!!!

IN A 44 MAG THE 300 HARD CAST LEAD IS THE TICKET ON EVERYTHING !!!

IN THE 460 THAT 380 HARD CAST @1800 WOULD BE SWEET MEDECINE FOR A ****ED OFF BROWN BEAR WITH ATTITUDE!!!

A PISTOL AND LIGHT 16" LEVER ACTION ON A SLING WOULD BE AWESOME AND REASSURING IN AN ALDER THICKET RECOVERING A MOOSE OR DEER!!!

Thanks !!

I have also used H 110 and Lilgun in my 454, but never tried the 296. I will have to get some and try it.

J E CUSTOM

I LOVE "LILGUN"

IN OREGON COAST 40* RAINING, MOSES LAKE WA 110DEG 0 HUMIDITY, ALABAMA 100DEG 100%HUMIDITY, KANSAS -10 10% HUMIDITY........

SHOOTS WITHIN 1" 1 LOCATION TO THE NEXT FOR ME @100 YDS!!!

NOT ALL POWDERS DO THIS FOR ME BE IT A 4.5", 7.5" OR 16" BARREL

BE IT REVOLVER, LEVER ACTION, SINGLE SHOT OR SEMI AUTO

WISH I KNEW OF A POWDER THIS STABLE IN 5.56, 264 WINMAG, 06AI, 28 NOSLER AND 375 H&H!!!!!

44 MAG 300 HARD CAST SWC

LILGUN DOES IT ALL

I was hopping that someone in Alaska or at least bear country would have some Experience and some suggestions for this cartridge.

Also some powder choices besides the H 110 and Lil'gun.

J E CUSTOM
I had one. I tried using H110 in it and always got a pile of crap back in my face, I figured I burnt powder out the cylinder gap never figured it out. I've used H110 in my 500 S&W and 44 mags with no issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.