S&W 460V trail gun

I have a 5" .460 as well with a Leupold Delta Point, very accurate, nice gun, but pretty big and heavy for packing all day. I also have the different 10mm's-Glock, Dan Wesson, Springfield…
But the gun I like the most is a 1911 in 460 Rowland, basically a .44 mag in a 1911 without any harsh recoil. Worth looking at….

I have a 5" .460 as well with a Leupold Delta Point, very accurate, nice gun, but pretty big and heavy for packing all day. I also have the different 10mm's-Glock, Dan Wesson, Springfield…
But the gun I like the most is a 1911 in 460 Rowland, basically a .44 mag in a 1911 without any harsh recoil. Worth looking at….
I'll give the 460 Rowland a look. Learn something everyday.

A CNS hit is the only thing you're concerned with in a bear defense situation. Permanent wound cavity, energy into target(which doesn't even matter in a hunting scenario) are irrelevant as the bear will keep coming.

Making the CNS shot is indeed the only way to permanently and immediately immobilize any animal……however, a bullet that creates a powerful shock to the nearby nerve centers can often temporarily disrupt the system. That temporary disruption "may" give the shooter the opportunity to more carefully place a killing shot.

The bullet that creates minimal hydraulic force, "shock wave" or whatever one may prefer to call it, doesn't offer the magnitude of this force as does a moderately high speed "blunt" object slamming into flesh……which is composed of a high percentage of water!

Assuming that both projectiles penetrate deeply into the animal….I prefer the one that gives the greatest "hydraulic" force to the animal's system!

I don't rely on my expert marksmanship skills to perfectly place the bullet…..I want all the help that I can get! But…..that's just me!

For this conversation…..I'm only addressing the "Penetrator" series (which was the initial bullet mentioned) not the other offerings by LeHigh. memtb

Please elaborate on the kinks.
Just dug into a few forums and videos about the failure to feed issues. As I don't have one, I try to find folks with real experiences, good or bad, especially with new models no matter the manufacturer. I'd rather buy tried and true than shiny and unreliable.

Just dug into a few forums and videos about the failure to feed issues. As I don't have one, I try to find folks with real experiences, good or bad, especially with new models no matter the manufacturer. I'd rather buy tried and true than shiny and unreliable.
Had to search what you are talking about and found a couple guys with mag issues. I have had one for a year and have not had any issues with Underwood ammo and LAX FMJ range ammo, has performed flawlessly. Running gear in competition sorts out gear that is prone to failure, maybe will shoot a match with X10 to see if dirt/fouling/technique create problems. Definitely good practice for shooting under stress at the very least.

Had to search what you are talking about and found a couple guys with mag issues. I have had one for a year and have not had any issues with Underwood ammo and LAX FMJ range ammo, has performed flawlessly. Running gear in competition sorts out gear that is prone to failure, maybe will shoot a match with X10 to see if dirt/fouling/technique create problems. Definitely good practice for shooting under stress at the very least.
Everything I saw about the Underwood ammo was very positive in regards to the X10. I like your approach to shooting competition with the X10.

Wow, you guys made me read the article in American Riflema today. They reviewed the Taurus Raging Hunter .460 in 10". This sucker weighs 74 ounces unloaded. The .460 ammo I shoot weighs about 3/10ths of a pound for each cartridge! that would add 1.5 lbs to the total weight. I know this is not a carry weapon (like the T/C Encore in .460), but it was still interesting to me. Even the S&W 460 XVR with a 3.5" barrel weighs 59.5 ounces empty. But the S&W is a carry weapon and it still weighs 3.75 lbs. We are almost talking the Walker Colt in weight.