rifle

marcus_rubbo

Im still in highschool and i am planing on going to a tactical shooting school in virgina becasue i eventualy want to be a usmc scout sniper, (i dont need a speach about how hard it is to be a scout sniper,or that its not like it looks in the movies,ect. ive reserched and talked to a few snipers and i know this is what i want to do) To go to this school i need to have a precision rifle to shoot. i would like to have a quality peice of equiptment that i know will preform better than i can shoot. I know i want a .308 on a remington action with a mcmillan stock...im not looking for a budget gun but i want to know how much im going to need to spend to have a quality rifle setup (scope included) should i look at buying a gun from like hsp or gap? if not where should i look to buy from?

I'm guessing you're going to Central Virginia Tactical and if so Vern will probably have a loaner for you to use at that time.

I full blown "tactical" "Sniper" type rifle system will cost you about $4,000+- when all is said and done. (~$2,500 for a new rifle, ~$900 for a Leupold scope, ~$250 for Badger rings and bases, ~$60.00 for a sling, ~$50 for a torque wrench, ~$100 for a drag bag, ~$150 for a hard case, some more for little accessories, ~$150 for cleaning gear, ~$40 for a data book, etc, etc.) (I know, it can be done cheaper on individual pieces but you'll end up with the good stuff anyway so just buy it the first time and save yourself the trouble of broken gear and lost class time.)

AND

You'll never stop getting the lectures, its the natural order of life, older and/or perhaps more experienced folks are required to preach... its a law of nature! Old bears swat young bears, old dogs nip puppies, parents chide thier kids, geezer military guys educate fng's and there's always going to be someone older than you.
So now to meet my requirement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif : The military will decide where they want you, you don't get to pick what you'll do (your recruiter will tell you otherwise). It may seem at times that you are in control and get to select your job but in the long run the military is 10 steps ahead of you and you are only experiencing the illusion of choice. Give it a good go, they like enthusiasm!

[ QUOTE ]
fng's

[/ QUOTE ]

one born everyday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

d-a

Vernon can get you a loaner gun.

Recommend you go that route AND then decide on what you want. You can watch the guns on Snipers Hide and lot of GAP and others are there for sale at reasonable prices ($1000-1800 normally)

Vernon is recommending the IOR 3-18x scope and is putting a group deal on buying them.

Suggest you talk to Vernon before spending that kind of money and not being able to shoot the gun to its potential. Go to the course first and then decide on what you really want. Lot of guys switching from 308 to the 260, 260 AI, 300 WSM and might want to look at the 6.5x47 necked to 6mm. Less powder, cheaper bullets, flatter and less recoil. You are after a reasonably flat cartridge that is economical to shoot first in order to learn. Heavy hitting tactical cartridge can come later.

John Myer at Custom Gunsmithing in Boyce VA or Clay Spencer can put a top gun together also. Consider this. Used McMillan USMC M40 stock $200 (second shipment in couple weeks), Rem short action $300, Broughton 5c 12 twist $300, chambered and action trued, trigger adjust, new recoil lug $250, stock rebedded $100. That gun will shoot as good as any other gun out there and is certainly a precision rifle with cost $1200-1500 not counting scope.

Vernon knows both smiths well and couple more local that can do the job. Vernon also normally knows of 1-2 guns of the type you want for sale. Vernon also knows Charlie Sherrin (top local 1K BR smith) is having a barrel sale now on about 10-15 top barrels he has been stockpiling.

BH

Marcus, don't let anybody tell you, you want make it. Learn how to shoot well, get yourself in EXCELLENT SHAPE, and keep your mind strong. There is more to being a Marine Scout Sniper than just being an excellent shot, you need to also learn how to do the following, how to conceal yourself (camofluage) in different types of terrian, how to stalk, and LEARN HOW TO SPEAK ARABIC or FARSE. If you can learn how to speak the above mentioned lanuages, you WILL be a Special Ops Guy. Also, when deciding on the choice of caliber, concentrate on the 308, 300 Win Mag, and 223. These are the calibers you will be using. I know the 338 Lupa Mag and 50 Cal are also Sniper rounds, but you will need to master the 308, 300 Win Mag, and 223. My friend was a Marine Scout Sniper for many years, he told me about all the things he learned as a scout sniper. Good luck on your dream, and thank you for wanting to serve our GREAT COUNTRY.

[ QUOTE ]
The military will decide where they want you, you don't get to pick what you'll do (your recruiter will tell you otherwise). It may seem at times that you are in control and get to select your job but in the long run the military is 10 steps ahead of you and you are only experiencing the illusion of choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen to Dave very carefully. This is a very true statement. No matter how you think you've trained prior to the military, we have people who specialize in training and potential. I'm not being negative at all, I'm just telling you the facts. I hope you the best and be very picky when you go to the recruiter. Take you time because it's kind of like buying a truck. You've got to make the salesman think that there's nothing to loose. I hope this makes since, because I've been through it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Vernon can get you a loaner gun.

Recommend you go that route AND then decide on what you want.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]
Not knowing a thing about sniper school (but being an armchair general), that seems like great advice. However it may be reasonable to pick up a good shooting 308 for $500- $900. After Kirby sent me a factory 308 Rem with a trigger job and Holland QD brake - I'm of the opinion everyone should own a 308 (with a good trigger).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.