Rifle advice

Perhaps at longer ranges! I always test bullets @ "up close and personal" range……the ELD-X's disappointed greatly!

Nothing I hate worse than having to do a "reverse stalk" to put several hundred yards between me and the target! 😂 memtb
hahahahaha I had to do that to get my longest to date antelope kill. Backed up to exactly 800yds, set up my shooting pad, rear sandbag, yes I was and am ridiculed for doing it. Felt like just killing it and my ego is not so large I would do it again.

In my lifetime I've seen more elk killed at various distances with the 7mm Remington Mag Than any other cartridge. You could load a lighter bullet for the hogs and not ruin so much meat. I haven't ever hunted elk with a 7mm Mag since I've always used my 30/378 Wby. We don't have hogs here in Az but if I had the chance I'd probably use my .270 or .257 Wby.

In my lifetime I've seen more elk killed at various distances with the 7mm Remington Mag Than any other cartridge. You could load a lighter bullet for the hogs and not ruin so much meat. I haven't ever hunted elk with a 7mm Mag since I've always used my 30/378 Wby. We don't have hogs here in Az but if I had the chance I'd probably use my .270 or .257 Wby.
There you go. We've had 22 LR and 30/378 mentioned in this thread. Everybodies got to agree, somewhere between those two is the perfect cartridge. 😂😂😂😂

In all seriousness though, anything that offers reasonable velocity, bullet weight, and recoil is the right answer. A 7 RM would be a fine choice. A more powerful cartridge won't help if shot placement is poor, but will make you capable of clean killing from a wider variety of angles and distances.

There you go. We've had 22 LR and 30/378 mentioned in this thread. Everybodies got to agree, somewhere between those two is the perfect cartridge. 😂😂😂😂

In all seriousness though, anything that offers reasonable velocity, bullet weight, and recoil is the right answer. A 7 RM would be a fine choice. A more powerful cartridge won't help if shot placement is poor, but will make you capable of clean killing from a wider variety of angles and distances.

I only mentioned my wife's cartridge of choice…..I can't get her to even try mine! But, she's pretty much a sissy! 😉

I didn't mention mine…..not a factory cartridge! memtb

Last edited:
I used to own several 7mm rifles but sold all and switched to 30 cal because of so many more bullet offerings in 30 cal.
7mm killed just as good but bullets were harder to find way back then and now are much harder to find.
I killed many deer and hogs with a 7mm08 and they died as quick as my 308's but bullet offerings were much better in 30 cal until Hammer bullets came along and now I wish I had my 280 back!

I would have thought that with the increased velocity of the light bullet …..the bloodshot and tissue damage would have been greater.

Learn sump'n new everyday! memtb

Nearly always, take more than one, complete setup on any kind of once a season hunt. They could be as different as a 358 Winchester and a 300 Ultra Mag. It could snow or rain and a rifle couple pounds lighter, could make a better day out of it. Nice lever gun, ain't bad for a day in the conifers.

Nearly always, take more than one, complete setup on any kind of once a season hunt. They could be as different as a 358 Winchester and a 300 Ultra Mag. It could snow or rain and a rifle couple pounds lighter, could make a better day out of it. Nice lever gun, ain't bad for a day in the conifers.

That's one thing about having a hunting partner to share rifles with, if things go bad! I can shoot my wife's rifle, and she mine! LOPs will be a bit of a challenge, but zeros and bullet trajectories are virtually identical!

Though, she'll have to leave the "little girl" mindset behind….. my rifle gives 20 ft/lbs more "thump" to the shoulder than does hers. But, if there's game to be taken…..I have faith in her ability to put a little additional recoil "in the rear view"! memtb

Last edited:
i would buy a 308 tikka and a boat load of decent match ammo and start practicing as far as you can shoot.

the bullet has no idea what the headstamp says.

A 180 at any equal velocity kills same out of a 300 rum as a 308 win. If someone is ok shooting a magnum to 600 then they are ok shooting a standard to 500 (or wherever they cross)

Last edited: