New rifle

Wendet

I am in the process of getting a new rifle in .300 win mag and am looking for advice. So far I have narrowed it down to fierce, seekins precision, or proof rifle this will be my first semi custom rifle I don't reload so far I have tikka and a sig cross in 6.5 creedmoor. Plus various other ars and rifle but am new to spending a little more for a rifle this will be a hunting rifle with either a leupold vx6 or vx5 when I figure out if the difference in the two is worth the extra money. Any opinions or thoughts are appreciated.

I am in the process of getting a new rifle in .300 win mag and am looking for advice. So far I have narrowed it down to fierce, seekins precision, or proof rifle this will be my first semi custom rifle I don't reload so far I have tikka and a sig cross in 6.5 creedmoor. Plus various other ars and rifle but am new to spending a little more for a rifle this will be a hunting rifle with either a leupold vx6 or vx5 when I figure out if the difference in the two is worth the extra money. Any opinions or thoughts are appreciated.
The .300 WM is an excellent choice and remains my go-to chambering. I do not have hands-on experience with what you have on your list. I acquired all the components for all my full custom and semi-custom builds.

The .300 WM is an excellent choice and remains my go-to chambering. I do not have hands-on experience with what you have on your list. I acquired all the components for all my full custom and semi-custom builds.
What components did you put together and what was final cost and did you put it together yourself

What components did you put together and what was final cost and did you put it together yourself
The cost is dependent on your choice of components. It's not on .300 WM, but the following are the semi-custom budget builds I did using Savage LAs.

1707501566182.jpeg

.257 WBY:
As pictured...

Savage 110 LA = $300
Oryx chassis = $400
McGowen prefit = $432
MBM 4-port = $125
Custom bolt handle = $90
Recoil lug = $30
Barrel nut = $30
5-round PMag = $40

$1447

1707501759649.jpeg

.264 WM

Savage 111F LA with factory trigger adjusted down to 2.5 LBS, pre-fit 26" SS X-caliber 5R, 1:7", Choate sniper rifle stock, 4-port beast brake, Burris XTR sig rings, 20 MOA Weaver rail, and topped with Leupold LRP 6.5-20x50 FFP.

I do not remember the component price breakdown, but it was ~$1K.

1707502128597.jpeg

.270 AI (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/my-budget-270-ai.97745/#post-691221)

$199 - Savage 110 L/A
$370 - Lilja 30" barrel, 3-groove, 1:8, #6 contour (.750" at the muzzle).
$250 - square action, thread, chamber, crown, sand blast, and install (by Dave
Young, Sand Coulee, MT)
$110 - B&C Duramaxx stock (olive web)
$ 40 - EGW zero MOA rail (might have to go for a 20 MOA later)
$ 30 - lug

Last edited:
The platform is your choice, Fierce and Proof are my favorites. On Factory ammo, find what your gun digests with optimum accuracy. I have taken 100's of big game with my .300 Win Mag. and settled years ago on Hornady SF 180 Interbonds, now superseded by 180 gr. SST's in Hornady's SF line up. Never had a failure/problem, and have taken some big body mass critters at very good distances (for me) over 810 yards... Enjoy the experience...

My thoughts are start reloading before doing anything anything else.

My simple advice would be don't get a 300 Win Mag. SAAMI has no revision process. This means new calibers in new guns are much better matched chamber to ammo to accuracy. I would be looking at the PRC's.

I would also take a step down in caliber from what I feel is ideal. This is because a better placed lower recoil shot almost always beats a high recoil big boomer for lethality….well, except for Buffalo and Elephants.

I would pick a Tikka or a Rem 700 based action. Not a Rem 700, necessarily, but a gun that uses the Rem 700 triggers. I think Bergara, Fierce, Seekins, etc all fit that mold.

Since you don't reload, your focus should be shooting available ammo well.

It pains me to say these things as I think the Win 70 is the best hunting action, but it is a journey to get what you want from a Win 70!

Lots of animals have fallen to 300WM. Nothing wrong with the caliber choice. Usually can find it on the shelf since you don't reload. Can run a range of bullet weights depending on what you're hunting.

I'm sure with your selection you've read the good and bad of each of the guns your considering. If not check the bad to see what issues are reported and see what the trends are.

In theory the guns you have listed should be better build quality than the cheaper off the shelf stuff. That said Ruger Americans seem to be great accuracy cheap guns with their own issues.

Solid dependable hunting scope choices, seems like you're on a good track for the set up you're looking for.

I would definitely choose the proof. . I've owned five of them and they're all tech drivers. You can easily swap barrels with proof pre fits and you're not limited to one choice.