Remington Alpha 1 revisited

.300 Dakota

There was a thread dedicated to this that started about 2 years ago in anticipation of the release of this new "upgraded" 700. Remington inexplicably delayed release... until now. They are available, but only in select short-action chamberings at the moment. Mainly .308, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .243. Street price now, as back 2 years ago, runs between $1550 or so on sale up to pennies under $2k with most being in the upper $1600s.

I have committed to buying one brand new in the box cheaper than I'm likely to ever see one again. I'm hoping I didn't get taken. Has anyone got to shoot one of these yet?

I'm curious to see if it's top heavy. It has a 22" barrel thick enough to support a 5/8x24 thread on the muzzle, yet it has an AG Composites Hunter (I think) stock. I would have preferred a .308, but the 1:8 .243 I have coming will be interesting. Unfortunately, surely it MUST have a SAAMI chamber. That will limit the utility of the faster twist. Guess we'll see next week.

Last edited:
I wish you luck and am curious how it will work for you. Perhaps with enough good reviews, they'll be a viable rifle. It's hard not buying a "custom" 700 action and getting known quality. In this day and age, everyone makes a better Remington rifle better than Remington.

If it were me, I would have bought a tikka in the 8 twist .243. I could get the barrel threaded and it still would be a cheaper rifle…and likely still a better rifle. But that's my opinion and YMMV.

Last edited:
Looking forward to your input on this rifle I've been wanting one in 308 since they first said they where releasing this rifle but like you said the price on them seems to keep going up and you don't hear of anyone buying them and they are hard to find in stock anywhere I've looked. I hope Remington hasn't messed up with this rifle and it end up like the 280 rem cartridge. I feel if they would have kept the price point at the original announced price more people would purchase them

Well, like you said, IF you can find one. Seems like an online-only proposition. I'm sure the huge stores like Bud's, Reed's, Simmon's, etc. might have a couple, although I haven't seen any of them advertising one. I was on the fence between this and a Weatherby 307 Adventure. Hopefully, THIS is not going to be an adventure. What made my mind up is the guy I'm buying it from locally, I've dealt with before, and he gave it to me for $1400 out the door. He was running it on GB, and I messaged him about it through the site. When it didn't sell there, he messaged me and made me the offer. I didn't ask questions on it other than to know it's a brand new gun in the box.

As far as building something better, obviously that could be done. I don't know that it could be done for $1400, but not much more maybe. Thing is I've done that. I've got a dozen better rifles in better configurations. Including Tikka and several aftermarkets. This was about having something iconic. I am gambling that Remington has done what they say they've done and are BACK. it would be awesome to have one of the first of a new legend that rolled off the assembly line. I thing it's a little odd of a combination with the heavier barrel and ultralight stock, but if it balances ok, it should make for better accuracy than a pencil mountain rifle barrel. I would still have to add a brake if I want one, and I'd probably change out the Timney with a Bix or at least TT Special. But that isn't imperative to be done before the rifle can be tested and enjoyed.

Got my hands on it... guys the word that comes to my mind is IMPRESSIVE! This reminds me of the Barrett Fieldcraft I got 5 or 6 years ago except not as slim/skeletonized. This thing is SOLID and the balance is PERFECT! They've redesign the floor plate and put a nice, high side bolt release on. The trigger is a flat shoe, which may not appeal to some, as the feel is totally different. The machining of the bolt surface gives it a unique appearance, not the usual spiral fluting. I have not installed the bolt and felt the smoothness (or lack of), so I haven't actually tested the trigger yet either. I'll update when I get it home and see if the bolt throws the balance off. It does come with a Pic rail attached. That's a plus! The only other thingbI noticed was how the stock surrounded the barrel channel. The ledge around the barrel at the forearm tip is THICK compared to anything else I've seen. It's not blocky to hold or anything, it just has a lot of beef. In other words, the forearm material is heavily reinforced - I'd say 5/16" anyway in thickness at the tip and all along the channel. It feels like I described the Barrett when I got it - Indestructible!

WOW Great.
I've been waiting to hear that they are circulating. Thanks for sharing.
CONGRATULATIONS. 👍
Just got it out of the truck and snuck it in the house right past my wife, and up the stairs I went to my lair!🤣

They have put a threaded bolt handle on and a knob that is pretty small, but not exactly a ball and not exactly a bell or spool. It is totally replaceable, though if you don't like it. I installed the bolt. Buttery smooth precision, it is not. It's the typical Remington feel. There is no slop, however, and lockup is TIGHT. Almost too tight. As in it takes a little effort to close it and open it. The Timney trigger takes a Herculean effort to pull compared to my Bixes. That's what happens when you go from 4 - 12oz triggers to a full 3-pounder. Haven't measured the pull, and don't need to. It's way too stiff for me. I will see if I can get use to it. When it does break, it is clean and there is no creep or grittiness that I can discern. So for someone who's never shot a custom rifle or a Sako or higher end Sauer, this would be a dream, most likely. We'll see what it feels like when I break it in a bit. The previous owner told me the magazine length is not a standard SA length. He said it was designed to be loaded out a bit further. Not sure if it's a Wyatt length, but I will measure when I start loading. The guy thought it was maybe up to 2.950", but we'll see.

Having said that, after close inspection, I believe the gun has been fired and carefully (but not carefully enough) cleaned up to hide the fact. Got a Sauer like that off Gun Broker a couple years back and found out quickly why they got rid of it. It does not bode well for the possibility of pinpoint accuracy, however. The guy that had this has customs made off Defiance actions with carbon fiber stocks and barrels, so he's use to the finer things of shooting. He COULD have just come to the same conclusion I just did about the feel for someone who's only shot those for awhile. Generally, though, if you know something is a tack driver, you keep it, or at least show pictures of your targets and ask a higher price. He did neither, and he's a skilled handloader. Doesn't sound good for me, but I'll give it my best shot. Maybe it's from where it was fired at the factory, but I doubt it. Barrel looks clean inside, but it was the copper on the bolt face and a little tad bit of smut around the corner of one of the lugs that gave it away. I don't think it's been shot extensively, maybe 3 or 4 groups. If he only loaded for 1 particular bullet that it didn't like, maybe there's still hope. I'm going to load a 103gr Hornady, a 100gr Sierra, a 95gr Barnes, and a 95gr Nosler. Actually, maybe 2 100gr Sierras - a GK and a PH. About every .243 bore I've ever had would shoot the 100gr ProHunter if they wouldn't shoot anything else, and I've had multiple 8-twist rifles do so. I bet he didn't try that one!!