Remington Alpha 1 revisited

.300 Dakota

There was a thread dedicated to this that started about 2 years ago in anticipation of the release of this new "upgraded" 700. Remington inexplicably delayed release... until now. They are available, but only in select short-action chamberings at the moment. Mainly .308, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .243. Street price now, as back 2 years ago, runs between $1550 or so on sale up to pennies under $2k with most being in the upper $1600s.

I have committed to buying one brand new in the box cheaper than I'm likely to ever see one again. I'm hoping I didn't get taken. Has anyone got to shoot one of these yet?

I'm curious to see if it's top heavy. It has a 22" barrel thick enough to support a 5/8x24 thread on the muzzle, yet it has an AG Composites Hunter (I think) stock. I would have preferred a .308, but the 1:8 .243 I have coming will be interesting. Unfortunately, surely it MUST have a SAAMI chamber. That will limit the utility of the faster twist. Guess we'll see next week.

Last edited:
I wish you luck and am curious how it will work for you. Perhaps with enough good reviews, they'll be a viable rifle. It's hard not buying a "custom" 700 action and getting known quality. In this day and age, everyone makes a better Remington rifle better than Remington.

If it were me, I would have bought a tikka in the 8 twist .243. I could get the barrel threaded and it still would be a cheaper rifle…and likely still a better rifle. But that's my opinion and YMMV.

Last edited:
Looking forward to your input on this rifle I've been wanting one in 308 since they first said they where releasing this rifle but like you said the price on them seems to keep going up and you don't hear of anyone buying them and they are hard to find in stock anywhere I've looked. I hope Remington hasn't messed up with this rifle and it end up like the 280 rem cartridge. I feel if they would have kept the price point at the original announced price more people would purchase them

Well, like you said, IF you can find one. Seems like an online-only proposition. I'm sure the huge stores like Bud's, Reed's, Simmon's, etc. might have a couple, although I haven't seen any of them advertising one. I was on the fence between this and a Weatherby 307 Adventure. Hopefully, THIS is not going to be an adventure. What made my mind up is the guy I'm buying it from locally, I've dealt with before, and he gave it to me for $1400 out the door. He was running it on GB, and I messaged him about it through the site. When it didn't sell there, he messaged me and made me the offer. I didn't ask questions on it other than to know it's a brand new gun in the box.

As far as building something better, obviously that could be done. I don't know that it could be done for $1400, but not much more maybe. Thing is I've done that. I've got a dozen better rifles in better configurations. Including Tikka and several aftermarkets. This was about having something iconic. I am gambling that Remington has done what they say they've done and are BACK. it would be awesome to have one of the first of a new legend that rolled off the assembly line. I thing it's a little odd of a combination with the heavier barrel and ultralight stock, but if it balances ok, it should make for better accuracy than a pencil mountain rifle barrel. I would still have to add a brake if I want one, and I'd probably change out the Timney with a Bix or at least TT Special. But that isn't imperative to be done before the rifle can be tested and enjoyed.