Reloder 26

Awesome replies guys. I tried the burn rate adjustment prior to posting but like you said it put pressures to the point where I would thing primers would be flat, cratured, bolt lift issues and maybe hurt the rifle.

Bowfishn I will fill a case of RL 26 like you asked for. You guys amaze me with your skills on QL.

I like velocity like the next guy but I'm just hoping at 69.5 I'm not hurting my rifle. The first day 69.5 grouped well but the second day wasn't as good because I think the shooter (me) was needing and wanting it to perform so well that I was pretty amped up. Then I assumed the 70 grains would be too much pressure and I had almost zero concern or investment for it to shoot well and it was my best group. Now my brother in law pointed something out that was kind of interesting and I realize this doesn't count and am not trying to sound better than I am but I shot groups of 3, 5, 5 and he noticed 9 out of the 13 shots if they were superimposed would be in roughly a 1/2" area. In that way considering I've tried 1 seating depth and 2 powder charges I'm pretty happy. I obviously want to keep working at it and need to learn how to fine tune it so any tips on where to go from here would be appreciated. I don't want to hijack so you could PM as well. So let me look at some of the suggestions and I'll get back with you guys.
I had tested loads with my 26" build using RL26 and 143ELD-X bullets and had gone to 3054 fps with them out of my 6.5 CM without seeing any pressure signs. Primers looked good, no hard bolt lift etc. My Ql had showed the charge of powder to be within normal pressure range, but I had not adjusted my QL to match velocities I was getting. The following day I retested without my Magnetospeed attached to see if groups would change. I had about 100 rounds without cleaning my bore and this time when I reached the load that gave me 3054 fps I had extractor marks on case heads and 2 primer pockets were lose. When I looked into it I found that I needed to adjust my Burn Rate Factor / ba to match my velocity. That put pressures to a much higher than CIP rating and why I was seeing pressure signs with a dirty bore. It was producing pressure around the 70K+, remember pressure signs won't show until you are usually over pressure. When you see over pressure signs you need to back down to a safe level. My load with the 143 ELD-X is at 3000 fps now with HBN coating and RL26. When you are at the point with pressures with the load you are using it dose not take much for pressure to spike, Temperature, dirty bore, etc.
Just saying be careful.

I'm headed out today with some fireformed peterson and norma brass
147's 45.5 ,46, 46.3,.6.9, 47.3
I have 150 sierrias 46.6.9 and 47.3in peterson only. I didn't shot them in the norma brass when I shot them to see if they would shoot in my 8tw.
These are all coated with WS2(tungston dilsulfide ) Naked had flat [email protected] however @ 2.855 was a normal looking load.
I have 5 ea powder charge at the above 2 coal's in peterson brass. I have been shooting a few rifles that have shown the 45.5 in peterson to be very good. In my own I have been pushing them with the 47 and 47.3
The norma brass is all 45.5 with 10 ea of 147eldm at the 2 above coal's
For those interested the 150's will seat base to ogive the same as a 142 just because of the loooong nose check your mag length.

Bowfishn, I'm in my way to Mexico and I hurry and weighed a once fired brass filled to top with powder and it's 87.8 grains. Also I dropped my charge from 69.5-70 to 68.5. Grouped well and avg velocity of 5 shots 3050.

Well I shot what I had loaded except the 150 sierras. After the first 4 it was obvious they wouldn't stabilize so I pulled the rest. The overall result was -100ish fps at each point. The 47.3 was promising @2.820coal but the speed is down to 2782 @6ES for 10 shots. Everything at 2.845 wouldn't tighten up beyond 1/2" center to center. I don't know if I can get back to the node with the 2.820 coal. I'm going to try with the longer load as well.
In the Norma brass I can get there I believe there is more capacity. First 4 coated bullets 45.5 were 2889, 2862, 2832, 2799. Second 4 @46.6 went 2758, 2757, 2752 and 2753 @ 2.820 coal I shot 3. 2shot groups with the longer 2.845 I didn't bother continuing after the second shot when they were so far apart and At least 25fps apart. The lower charges were 33, 31 and 29fps apart At 46.3, 6 and 9. I shot 4 At 47.3 34ES At 2789. I plan to just seat them to the shorter coal for tomorrow.
I did not shoot all 10 of any charge. it was getting dark and the crony wouldn't reed the bullets. @ 300 on steel I hit the 2" gong repeatedly with the 120's naked and the 147.3 naked with no misses. I ran both my mags with a change in 25seconds. If I can get back 2850 I'd be happy. I think the longer coal really is too erratic below that. From 2879-2920 naked ran single digit ES. I'm running about 003 neck tension(needle is closer to 003 than 002.
I loaded up the 36pcs of brass with 4ea 47.3 47.6 47.9 48.3 and 20 @ 47.3 naked. need these for a silhouette shoot Sunday. I don't think I will get my stuff done as we have 4 rifles to sort out also. The 308 wasn't shot be me today idk what was going on however the same varget load I shot before was running 150fps faster @ 2750with 44grn Varget in Lapua and peterson brass over the Ohler 43. I think it was the machine but IDK

Reshot the 308 This is a new gun just finished Avg velocity with 44varget 175smk was 2788 decent es of 12 for 10 shots. Oh it's a 22.25" so much for velocity loss. Nice round primers to boot.

Capt RB I am interested If you, or anyone else, have had any extraction issues with your Peterson brass on the first reload. I am shooting 45.5 g R26 with 147's. New brass worked fine. The first reload chambered fine but after firing I had extraction issues.

Capt RB I am interested If you, or anyone else, have had any extraction issues with your Peterson brass on the first reload. I am shooting 45.5 g R26 with 147's. New brass worked fine. The first reload chambered fine but after firing I had extraction issues.
Trim it to length. Check to make sure your sizing the whole case. I had issues with the once fired too. You need to check what your chamber is and what the brass looks like after you size it. I turned my sizer die down so the ram just cams with the rcbs die run it through and it is perfect. I plan on buying a set of bushing dies when I shoot out this barrel. I've settled on 47.3 215m with WS2 coated 147s. I have an sd of 3 and es of 6 @ 2853-59 A 2.820 At 2.820 and 45.5 coated 147's are 2755ish with 12es and .2.3, 4 shot (mag capacity) groups and no offset for my 120grn load @ 2880 to 300yds.
I shot to 500yds last week with the 47.3 load and had 6" of horizontal over a sod farm. I was holding for 8mph and at the target it was running about 13-15mph. Being on dead grass 1/2 mile from anything taller than an inch I felt pretty good about what I could do. The load has less than a bullet up or down for vertical at that distance.
Gun specs are
Savage 10 6.5 creed lands are at 2.857 when new now at 2.859 after 124rds 8 were final finish tubb bullets.
Burris XTR sig rings with 25moa inserts(20front/5rear)
SHV4-14 illum MOAR
I shoot most often on 4power for testing ammo. Before you laugh It helps me concentrate on my form and target. I also will shoot from cold to hot with a 2x change in magnification to tract how much offset for both retical and just change of power.
My rifle will shoot 1moa higher on 14 than 4 and 1/4 moa to the left from 4-14. Tracts .2moa for each 2x change. I've done it with 3 loads that shoot and it is what the mechanics of my scope do everytime I shoot.

If you worked up your load with new brass it could be too high of pressure now. Recheck your velocity and drop powder charge until it matches it it's higher now. Broz and several others including myself have noted a loss of accuracy with once fired brass. Come to find out the new brass was absorbing some energy from the powder as it was fire formed on the first shot. First reload then resulted in higher velocity and decreased accuracy.

I load the 124gr Hammer Hunter for my 6.5-284 Norma. Tried a few powders (RL 26, N 165, IMR4350) since I wasn't getting the results I wanted. Found H4831 to be the best. I achieved a sube moa load a little over 3200 fps with 55.0gr of powder. But I hit a velocity "flat spot" below 55.0gr. At 53.0 & 54.0 I got the same velocity of 3155 fps, so I split the difference and made my final load 53.5 gr. Nice ragged 5 hole group.
RL26 & Retumbo work great with the 140gr bullets, especially 140gr AB/BT and 143gr ELDX
Did you work up a load using rl26 with the 143's . I have a cooper 6.5x284 . Im looking some data on the 143's with rl26 to start with
I load the 124gr Hammer Hunter for my 6.5-284 Norma. Tried a few powders (RL 26, N 165, IMR4350) since I wasn't getting the results I wanted. Found H4831 to be the best. I achieved a sube moa load a little over 3200 fps with 55.0gr of powder. But I hit a velocity "flat spot" below 55.0gr. At 53.0 & 54.0 I got the same velocity of 3155 fps, so I split the difference and made my final load 53.5 gr. Nice ragged 5 hole group.
RL26 & Retumbo work great with the 140gr bullets, especially 140gr AB/BT and 143gr ELDX

If you worked up your load with new brass it could be too high of pressure now. Recheck your velocity and drop powder charge until it matches it it's higher now. Broz and several others including myself have noted a loss of accuracy with once fired brass. Come to find out the new brass was absorbing some energy from the powder as it was fire formed on the first shot. First reload then resulted in higher velocity and decreased accuracy.
After reading your post the light bulb went on. In once fired brass I never shot uncoated bullets. When going from nakid to coated bullets I lost 140-150fps in new brass. In once fired I had 3 different loads to try to get back to the 2850 range. Until I looked at my notes after your post I didn't catch it. My 47.3 load was back to the 2853fps with 6es no pressure signs. I measured some of the cases I have waiting and they are definitely soaking up alot of pressure without any tell tale signs your in the wrong neighborhood.