Reloading Safety

Hikinghunter

Getting into reloading. After reading "the ABC's of reloading" by Phillip Massaro, I feel like I have a general grasp on the basics. What I'm looking for is the general "don't do this" safety measures that'll make sure I don't learn something the hard way. So far, it looks pretty simple. Anything I should add to the list below?

Note: I only plan to reload rifle ammo.

- don't mix up pistol and rifle powder (moot, as I won't be loading pistol)
- take measures to avoid spilling your primers all over the place. Keep them somewhere different from your powder.
- inspect your brass
-have a system for making sure you don't "double-load" (although it seems like if you double-loaded a rifle cartridge it would overfill and spill all over the place)
- don't smash your hand in the press
- don't light your can of powder on fire (ok, that one is a little too obvious)

Anything to add? Seems like a relatively safe endeavor if you don't do obviously dumb things. There's an endless amount of stuff to squeeze accuracy out of a round, but the basic safety measures seem pretty simple.

Why would calipers be a safety thing? I do have a good one, just wondering.
In my opinion if your calipers isn't consistent then you're not going to get the results you're looking for. Not only are you going to be checking over all lengths, you can check measurements all over your brass and get clued in sometimes before bad crap happens .

Do not load when you're tired, drinking, or distracted. I loaded for 15 years without incident, and then made a mistake that was pretty major. Using a published book load and high density powder, loading some low recoil loads for my wife, I ended up double charging a case. Very rarely can a rifle case accept a double charge of powder, but in this instance it was able to. My biggest mistake was loading early in the morning when I couldn't sleep, and wasn't 100% mentally on point. The double charge blew up a rifle and could have seriously hurt my wife. Thank god we came out of it better than I could have hoped, but it was a sobering reminder how dangerous the game can be if you aren't doing your part properly.

So, pay attention, double and triple check everything every single time, don't get complacent.

Do not load when you're tired, drinking, or distracted. I loaded for 15 years without incident, and then made a mistake that was pretty major. Using a published book load and high density powder, loading some low recoil loads for my wife, I ended up double charging a case. Very rarely can a rifle case accept a double charge of powder, but in this instance it was able to. My biggest mistake was loading early in the morning when I couldn't sleep, and wasn't 100% mentally on point. The double charge blew up a rifle and could have seriously hurt my wife. Thank god we came out of it better than I could have hoped, but it was a sobering reminder how dangerous the game can be if you aren't doing your part properly.

So, pay attention, double and triple check everything every single time, don't get complacent.
Point taken. I'm a naturally detail oriented person. I'll probably weigh each round after the bullet has been seated to ensure I didn't over load, and come up with some journaling system to ensure I don't use the wrong powder. I'm not inclined to load "hot" - seems like a good way to spend more time cleaning fouled barrels…

Glad you guys came out of the double load situation ok. Good point to think about any cases that might accept accidental double-loads.

With that said, I'm thinking more about any common newbie ******* mistakes that could be dangerous, rather than just goofy/pointless. Complacency seems to be more common with experanced hands - newbies are properly scared. Looking to learn from your guys newbie mistakes, rather than making my own 😁

For example - I used to homebrew beer. I was properly scared of the chemicals and compressed gasses with red warning labels. Turns out, the most dangerous thing I did in that hobby without giving it a second thought was carrying a glass carboy (think 5 gallon beer bottle) across a tile floor. Doesn't sound all that dangerous, but they are slick as snot, and it's easier than you'd think to drop those things and impale yourself on foot-long glass shards. To my knowledge, nobody has hurt themselves with the super-scary compressed gas cylinders used in brewing (which have enough energy to flatten a house), but plenty of folks have gone to the ER with serous injuries from glass carboys. Are there any equivalents in reloading - stuff that newbies do that old hands would never would?

Gday hikinghunter
I'll add a couple of things you may consider
If using a electronic scale or electronic powder thrower/dispenser
Keep your mobile phone away as your loads will be all over the place

If loading a batch of bullets prior to seating projectile just run a torch over ea shell & visually see if nothing's majorly out of whack & not a cigarette lighter lol

Stick to headstamp brass as cuts out potentially a issue on ammo mix up or more importantly projectile mix up eg 277vrs 284
( it's why calipers are also valuable If you don't know just check pills before loading & weigh them also )

Stay safe
Cheers

I like having good lighting at my press. You can get led strips that make your work area bright and easy to see. I look in every case before I seat a bullet to make sure case is charged with powder. One of the most dangerous things that can happen is to have a primer send a bullet into your barrel, and then fire another round. A friend and me were shooting his 45/70 with factory rounds and the primer went off, but the powder did not ignite, the bullet lodged a few inches into the barrel. We were able to drive it out of the chamber end, but I shudder to think what could have happened if someone had not considered that possibility.

Getting into reloading. After reading "the ABC's of reloading" by Phillip Massaro, I feel like I have a general grasp on the basics. What I'm looking for is the general "don't do this" safety measures that'll make sure I don't learn something the hard way. So far, it looks pretty simple. Anything I should add to the list below?

Note: I only plan to reload rifle ammo.

- don't mix up pistol and rifle powder (moot, as I won't be loading pistol)
- take measures to avoid spilling your primers all over the place. Keep them somewhere different from your powder.
- inspect your brass
-have a system for making sure you don't "double-load" (although it seems like if you double-loaded a rifle cartridge it would overfill and spill all over the place)
- don't smash your hand in the press
- don't light your can of powder on fire (ok, that one is a little too obvious)

Anything to add? Seems like a relatively safe endeavor if you don't do obviously dumb things. There's an endless amount of stuff to squeeze accuracy out of a round, but the basic safety measures seem pretty simple.
I am just starting out too but here are the things I have learned so far and will probably repeat what others say.

#1. I know its a pain to load/test/load/test especially if you have a far drive to the range but DO NOT just pull something out of a load book and use it because it says you will get a velocity you are looking for. Consider the middle load your absolute limit until you can go check velocity. Also don't assume that your load is going to be good even though its safe and load 50-100 rounds its just a waste of components. Starting loads that are safe are also going to be very inconsistent since how the powder sits in the case is going to determine pressure/velocity. A load that has most of its powder away from the primer at the mouth of the case will behave very different than one with the powder filling the bottom half the case evenly. Full cases near peak velocity are much more consistent since there is less room for the powder to shift.

#2. Don't mix brass unless you have actually measured the capacity, also don't measure 1 and think that is representative I measure 10 and then average them out for general use ammo and then measure capacity and sort by capacity for loads I want peak accuracy from. Most .223 cases I have tested are between 30.5-31.4 grH20 if you don't know that brass is consistent don't use it for your max pressure loads.

#3. If you are using NATO/Military brass be very careful when seating primers if it doesn't want to smoothly seat a primer don't just grip it harder, stop check the primer pocket for crimps and chamfer the corners more if needed. This can also happen without crimped primers and chamfering the corner can help with smooth primer seating. Consistency in all aspects of reloading equates to accuracy/precision downrange. Also Always point the case mouth away from you when loading primers they are very energetic and even with glasses on you can get an eye full of hot gas. Don't touch your primers either slide the box back and dump them carefully onto your seating pan.

#4. Create a system when reloading and do the same thing every time and if you stop mid process write a note that says exactly where you left off. For example I have my cases sitting neck down in the tray after I seat primers, when I go to fill powder I flip one over, seat the funnel, dispense/weigh each charge then pour. Flip the next one over, seat funnel ect. I cant double fill just based on capacity/charge so that's not a concern I do this so I cant "get lost" on my tray and dump powder everywhere trying to double fill and I know exactly where I am if I have to walk away for a minute.

#5. When using your powder measure/thrower be as consistent as possible and until you develop a suitable safe load that can still be safe with an unusually small case and .1gr more powder measure every charge before pouring into the case.
Powder measures/throwers can be incredibly consistent as long as you are (provided the powder meters well) I marked my drum and casting on my measure/thrower so when I lift the handle to fill I have a reference mark and in order to be consistent when lifting I try to time the speed I do lift by saying/thinking "load" on the upstroke starting at that mark I should top out at the time I finish the word. I then I bring the handle down to the mark (about 50% of the way down to dispense) and drop it from that point.
I can't explain why it works exactly (I have theories) but if you are inconsistent with the speed or force you lift/lower the handle on your powder measure you will get .2-.3gr inconsistency. Try it yourself, be sloppy, go slow sometimes go fast others lift lower hard/gently and see how much variation you get.
Once I developed a method to ensure I lift/lower that lever with consistency I can set my thrower and get the same charge (to .1gr) every time and I trickle up to my desired weight (less than .1gr so its super fast) when loading for maximum accuracy and I just throw directly into that case on loads I know can safely handle a small case and a .1gr more charge. The larger the case the easier your loads can handle small variation. .223 is not really forgiving in this respect. I still weigh every 10th load when I dispense directly into the case just to ensure that I am still getting the charge I want. I haven't discovered a shift in charge yet.

#6. keep your reloading bench clean/organized and be sure to avoid plastic containers/storage boxes/organizers and clothing that like to gather a static charge. Don't leave powder jugs or primer boxes open. Open them, get what you need, close them and put them away.

#7. Until you have a routine and are comfortable with your system stop completely if you are getting distracted by something, do whatever you need to and then come back to reloading when you have time. This is good advice for expert re loaders too but I think its especially critical when you have to put conscious effort into keeping your system operating with consistency. Once you get a few hundred rounds loaded (provided your system/method is figured out and executed consistently that whole time) you can listen to music or a podcast/book to alleviate the tedium.

Welcome to the world of reloading have fun falling down this particular rabbit hole there is so much more to it than I could have imagined its not even funny. But its extremely satisfying once you get everything to work for you and you start making great ammo every time.

Last edited: