Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I have used mostly second focal plane scopes. When I started out there were a lot of 3/4 inch and one-inch tubes and mostly fixed power scopes around. One of the first scopes I used had the cross hairs repaired and there was a square knot tied in the wire near the edge of the view. It had a 3/4-inch tube both windage dials had small brass clips that pressed done on the knobs and into notches to keep them from moving. I don't think it was gas filled either as it would fog up with weather changes. My how things have changed for the better in the field of shooting in just a few years. There wasn't such a thing as repeatability in scope adjustments they would be close but not anything like today's scopes. The glass quality and coatings are so far advanced today. the precision that they are ground to is hard to compare to yesteryears glass. The advancements in tube construction with different alloys, instead of steel making lighter and more resting to damage in tubes. The quality of the threads is way more advanced and so precise now that you have repeatability in the adjustments and precise adjustments. The coatings are far superior to those of the past as well, the seals and gas fill are like no other before them. Even a low-cost scope today I believe will outperform the highest quality scope of 60 to 70 years ago. It's kind of like comparing cars and trucks from that time to today, what do you mean you didn't have air conditioning and the heaters didn't keep your widows defrosted, you had to crank your own window down how absurd. Gotta admire today's things we are truly spoiled by our access to convinces, when you look around the world and see that most peoples are still walking or don't have a car, that they are still struggling to feed a family and don't have adequate medical, or teaching, contraception what's that.

I was visiting a friend the other day and ended up with a Remington SPS tactical chambered in 308 with a bull barrel, one in ten twist and twenty inches long, for a job I did for him. It hasn't had any rounds down it yet. I'm thinking a Boyd's at-one stock to replace the plastic stock, and a Red Hawk bottom metal, follower kit for it then putting on a new barrel. I have a new E.A.Brown barrel that is 26 inches long, one in eight twist chambered in 260 Remington with a number five tapper. I will set the old barrel up dial it in and make it into a remage install barrel most likley. I have a nice one-piece steel base with a twenty-moa tapper that I will fit to the action and machine it for the ejection port so that the brass clears well. I have some 30 mm Burris signature zee rings that I will use to mount the scope. I got a Burris Veracity for doing some work for a guy new in the box that I think will work well on it once I get used to the first focal plane

Mr. Dave shoot it first as I m sure you can will. Mine is factory with a hogue stock that shoots 3/4" all day long it's 168g bullets. It is one of my favorite guns. Eventually the stock started to warp a bit and now it sits in a hs precision fiberglass stock I got from a member here for a reasonable price

Thanks

Buck

It is hard for me to believe that it is already the first of August. I have noticed over the years a few things about August, and I am sure that everyone else has as well. Soon the young skunks and racoons will be out running around after leaving mom's side. The month of weed growth and the smell of skunk has arrived. It is very dry out now here where I live, they say it's moderate drought here. The prairie is dried and golden now, the sage brush is dry and dusty, fire is a real threat. We still have winds blowing and haze from all of the fires around with temperatures in the mid to upper 90's and the humidity in the teens. I checked out both the Natural gear cammo and the Kings desert shadow, both are excellent cammo for my area. And I found that the British desert cammo in a light, BDU jacket, works well also. I was coming home the other day about 1:30 P.M. there were a couple of sandhill cranes out feeding the antelope and deer were feeding beside the cows. it was in the upper 80's that day and usually they wouldn't have been out, the moon had set at 12:06 P.M. . I enjoy watching the cranes to look at them you wouldn't think they could walk or fly, kind of like looking at a bumble bee flying with its big body and stubby wings, simple things fascinate me, a girl told me one day that she was so bored in a class, I looked at her and said I guess that I'm not smart enough to be bored I'm still learning things from this class and I've been doing this stuff for thirty years.

I've read this thread from page 1 and I have found lots of good info. Mr. sheets seems like a guy that knows the in's and out's of the game . I've visited with a local gov. guy here and they seem a lot alike. Any new predator hunters would benefit greatly by going back and start at the beginning.
Mr. "D" should write a BOOK!!!!
We very much enjoy reading his stories!

Thank You! I pursued coyotes for a lot of years, studied them and did the best that I could to learn from them, as well as people that were good at it. I took pride in figuring out who the problem was and taking care of them as fast as I could. I still get out and do some for friends at times.

We got 3 tenths of an inch of rain last night, what a relief. The animals were bedded down this morning enjoying the cooler damp weather, the grass is soft and a couple of shades darker now, in the next couple of days there will be some short green grass sprouting and the animals will be loving it. With the cooler weather and a little moisture, the insects weren't as much of a bother either. I noticed some short green sprouts in the black burned areas by this evening already. I had the chance to see a young coyote pup of this year's crop today she was still pretty small but still adventuring on her own, a couple of weeks early from what I am used to seeing them. but we are having a bumper crop of fruit and little critters this year. If what the old timers used to tell me is correct, we might have a hard winter. When the plants bare plentiful it's so that you will have enough food to put up for a long cold winter, they always told me, as a kid it seemed to hold true. My wife told me the other day all the people we thought were old are gone now we are in their place we are the old people now. For the past several falls we haven't been the way it was when I was younger. We would get cooler rainy weather the first two weeks of September and get the world prepared for winter with enough moisture to get the root systems ready for the freezing ground. Sadly, it will only be a couple of weeks before the birds start to migrate from the high country, the western blue birds go about the same time as the hummingbirds early September. I was setting out and teasing one of the squirrels last evenings making their barking sounds with my lips and driving it crazy, I ended up with three of them all hugging the tree limbs looking like tree cancers till they would bark back at me and their tails would flop and flag giving up their locations. The squirrels here are what back east they called fox squirrels not the little grays. They eat so much bark and pine nuts I don't think they would be good eating but then if you're hungry a lot of things taste good that normally wouldn't.

I had to have my lower back, and my neck fussed several years ago so I was doing some physical therapy to get going again. I was listening to two of the therapists talking and one of them said yes, I carry a 9mm pistol in my car all of the time that I'm in it, the other one said that's kind of strange most people don't do that then turned and asked me do you have a gun in your truck? I looked at her and said no what caliber do you want I carry three with me, each one has its own use. If I get pulled over and asked for my driver's license and registration the carry permit is also handed out at the same time. I left the house one morning at 3:00, to go meet the helicopter. I was coming home at around noon topped a hill and got pulled over, my shot gun and rifle were in plain sight as was my dog, so after the initial meet I asked him if it would be okay for me to step out of the truck and to take my gun belt off. He told me he told me that he was good with that just do it with caution. He checked me out at his car, and we visited a little and he told me he appreciated the way I had responded to him about my firearms and how I explained to him why I had so many of them, and what I was doing that morning. Sadly, a couple of weeks later he made a stop on I- 25 just out of Douglas and the driver shot him in the face, he survived the encounter, I'm not sure what goes through people's minds when they do stuff like that. But then I don't understand why people are mean hearted all of their lives, yes, I know there are times and places that it is the way you must be, and yes, I have been there myself, I guess that I am fortunate enough to be able to turn it on and off and to be able to tell when and where it is needed.

In 2016 , I was driving through Cheyenne, Wyoming , on I 25 and I was stopped by Wyoming Highway Patrol for being slightly above speed limit ( I was going 75 in a 70 zone ).
I pulled to side of road , and had my Texas driver's license , insurance card , and Texas concealed handgun license in my hand , at the open window as the Officer walked to my vehicle .

When I handed my documents to him for checking , he returned my CHL , he laughed and said "Hell , everybody from Texas carries guns , so I don't even bother to check those now for Texas vehicles ."

The Officer said that the 75MPH speed zone did not begin until another 1/2 mile farther North , and issued a Warning Ticket only .

I thanked the Officer and told him that I would watch my speed .

A very nice Officer .

I got a call from a friend who asked me if I could get a coyote that was scaring the neighbor lady on her morning walks. She said it came within a few feet of her trying to get her dog. It took me three trips out there, but I got it this morning at 125 yards with my 25 creed. Mission accomplished!
100_0283.jpeg

I got a call from a friend who asked me if I could get a coyote that was scaring the neighbor lady on her morning walks. She said it came within a few feet of her trying to get her dog. It took me three trips out there, but I got it this morning at 125 yards with my 25 creed. Mission accomplished!View attachment 594976
The 6 Creed looks to be pretty effective with your bullet choice. At least if you don't save the hides. lol