Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

That' very interesting DSheetz. We've used the traps before in the past and had good luck with them just haven't used them lately. Never thought to try dog food for a bait. Some of the greatest inventions ever in our times have been by complete accident.

Being curious is in my blood. I like to see if I can figure out a better way or something that works as well when I can't find what was available but now isn't. I grew up figuring out how to make do with what I had, and I just haven't gotten over it. Sometimes it just works out well and sometimes not so much. This time it was observation that led me down this path to try it.

Being curious is in my blood. I like to see if I can figure out a better way or something that works as well when I can't find what was available but now isn't. I grew up figuring out how to make do with what I had, and I just haven't gotten over it. Sometimes it just works out well and sometimes not so much. This time it was observation that led me down this path to try it.
Ever notice how bees like empty beer cans ?

I got a call from a friend who asked me if I could get a coyote that was scaring the neighbor lady on her morning walks. She said it came within a few feet of her trying to get her dog. It took me three trips out there, but I got it this morning at 125 yards with my 25 creed. Mission accomplished!View attachment 594976
Way to go, Windy.

My wife told me about that post. They said they were young coyotes of the year and not afraid of humans yet. I have killed a few from that area in the past. I was heading up Cold Springs Road one morning. Where the bed tic road joins it a couple of riders were trailing some cattle and putting them in the pasture just past it. The young lady's horse got tangled in some smooth wire from the old phone line of the 50's. I grabbed my fencing pliers and got out of my old Landcruzer and went to her and her horse while she took off on foot to finish with the cattle. I clipped the wire on his feet and had him ready for her when she returned. A big bunch of wire went with me when I left. Just down the road about a mile in December of that year a coyote ran across the road I grabbed my rifle and jumped the fence sat down as it stopped and stood broad side to me, with my back against the fence post I shot it turned and dropped into the draw in front of me, then popped out again a little farther up the draw. I shot again and it tipped over into the draw. At that time, it jumped back out of the draw and ran I shot, and it dropped. As I went into the draw to cross over and retrieve it, I was giving myself a little talking to about how badly I had messed up the shots. I couldn't figure out I could have missed that coyote twice. Down in the bottom of the draw was the first two coyotes that I thought I had made bad shots on over in the sage brush was a third coyote. I got 50.00 each for them the next day at the fur buyers unskinned, plus 50.00 each for bounty and a thank You from the landowner. It was a welcome payday. That same area is where I saw my only albino porcupine. I did a lot of beaver control up in the area of the lake for Robert till he got sick and sold his ranch. He's been gone now for over twenty years. I had a lot of good times and learned a ton of things up that road.

I and a rancher friend were coming out of Sunlight Basin headed back to Cody a week ago. As we got down the Chief Joseph Highway we passed through the Two Dot Ranch cattle along the highway.
On the North side the cattle were all staring at three coyote pups headed east though the bedded cattle.

We pulled over to look at the coyotes and I commented to my buddy about them being pups from April. They showed no fear or even real notice of the truck about 70 yards away.

As they passed on through and continued east I sent some kiyis at them with a howler. The smaller pup, which I believed to be a female, took off like a shot through the sagebrush. The other two stopped, looked back at us then continued on their way, unfazed by the ruckus.

The pups are due to be kicked off on their own this month and folks will see lots of roadkilled coyotes during their drives and notice lots of coyotes mousing in pastures along the roads. Grasshoppers will be a diet staple for a while, too.

Lack of life experience with vehicles stopping close by along the road will result in lots of pups not seeing winter, ever.

I made a net using the frame of a fishing net that was torn putting some fiberglass screen on it then I would drive along where the grasshoppers were thickest to catch them. I then put them in my bait blender with a small amount of glycerin and a touch of lanolin. This was used as my puppy bait for my M-44's at this time of the year. It worked well especially for the pups that had been orphaned and grew up living on bugs and cow manure, starting in June till October. Yup I'M goanna run right out and see if I can get Alec to teach me about revolvers because I always thought the hammer had to be cocked on them to fire if they weren't dropped on it and didn't have a drop bar.