Primers

I have had four 209 shotshell primers not function properly. I used to shoot trap and skeet during the winter in Alaska. Shells were ejected into the snow and I reloaded them the following day before they dried out. The following week I had four misfires and had to shake the shot out of the barrel and clear the wad. Lesson learned. I had one large rifle primer not go pop in over 35 years. I really don't know why.

I touch every primer I load.....

There is a a**hole in every crowd. 🤪

1727267719960.jpeg

Only misfires I've ever had were when I seated primers upside down……..
In the 70's we never touched primers, we used tweezers to handle them. I quit that nonsense in the 80's.
I bought a S&W 29-2 recently and bought a box of Winchester factory 44 Mag shells. I had several misfires out of that box. It looks like light primer strikes to me.

Only misfires I've ever had were when I seated primers upside down……..
In the 70's we never touched primers, we used tweezers to handle them. I quit that nonsense in the 80's.
I bought a S&W 29-2 recently and bought a box of Winchester factory 44 Mag shells. I had several misfires out of that box. It looks like light primer strikes to me.
If you still have the original main spring,you probably need a new one. They will take a set in time. My K-22 needed one when it was about 7 years old.

I have never seen a missing anvil from a primer in 60+ years of reloading. First time for everything! Only had one ever FTF over the years attributed to a primer. Small pistol. Ejected the round and tried second time. Still a nogo. Pulled the bullet back home and everything else was ok.
I have seen a FTF from a gummed up rifle firing pin in cold weather. Lesson learned.
Now I use synthetic gun oil.

30 years of hand loading add 10's of thousands of rounds loaded, I've had 5 no fires that I can recall. All were with CCI and the 250 size. Different lots also. I use Federal, Remington, Winchester also. Just the CCI's have failed. I never worried about touching the primers in all those years either.
Same here 30+ years and only one that did not go bang. Just recently CCI 250 (friend's primers) while working up loads for him. Switched him out to GM215M's out of my stash. Never had an issue with Federals of any flavor.