Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonCeret

The old machined case is part of the gauge. He fabricated an insert that's a slight interference fit in the shortened case & the same diameter on the larger end as the case neck diameter. As it's slowly chambered with the bolt closed, the insert will stop sliding in. after extracting his fabricated gauge, he measures the overall length. This measurement will tell him exactly how long his chamber it. That measurement is exact. Now he knows what the maximum trim length is for the brass that's used in a particular rifle.
Now all he has to do is trim only a few thousands less than max. This also allows for the neck of his case to be slightly longer, which he considerers an advantage to insure better bullet to case alignment, which in turn makes it possible to get better concentricity between the case & bullet.
At least this is the way I understand it.
Thank you very much, I've got it now, your plug gauge is not the ID of the neck, it is the neck OD (outer diameter) that will be stopped at the end of the chamber neck case length, to know overall chamber/neck length. With that measurement, we can shorten the neck to allow the maximum neck length without being too long. The plug should be machined to have a slight friction on the fired case with a very short part left at the neck Outer diameter.
Ogive diameter is not involved in this.
The measurement for base to ogive is for seating depth with different bullets.

I like the placing the fired cartridge in the rifle and adjusting the sizing die until the bolt closes easily. But then you are done. That is the best size for your rifle. Neck sizing works except for new cartridges. But we wanted to shoot them anyway. It just gets better and better.

Re: Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonC

I also enjoyed the article I have been hand loading for years. The pictures were a plus and I may have even learned something new.

Re: Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonC

Tres, where can I find one of those gauges to find out where to trim my cases? And from my understanding, the headspace gauges are cartridge specific, so how could I get a headspace gauge for my wildcat?

Sinclair International sells their bump gauges by shoulder angle,and caliber(large or small). Hope this helps.

I just wanted to say how much i liked this article . Very informative , it just goes to show that after nearly forty years of handloading that I can still improve my game !

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.