Powder advise for a 280ai.

Looking for some powder to try in my 280ai. With Alliant not releasing powder to the public for awhile it takes all the reloader powder off the list.

The rifle is a nanook action with a 26inch proof 1: 8.4 twist.
I'm planning on testing berger 168 ,berger 175,hornady 175 eldx and giving the barns 145 lrx another try with different powder. Being in Arizona it needs to be temp stable powder so I don't get spikes.
I've tested the lrx with staball6.5 and couldn't get it to group . My 7-08 loves the stuff.
So I've got a few pounds of powders already.
Staball6.5 r22 (not temp stable)
4831sc r15 and r17
Retumbo
I know r23 is supposed to be magic but it's not available.
H1000 is a possibility maybe n560 or n565?
The 168s will be here in a day or so then I'll be ready to load another round of test ammo.
As for brass I'm running peterson and I've got 210 215 for primers.
I am also in Arizona, and I have had good luck with Ramshot Hunter under the Barnes 168 grain LRX. I average 2745 fps for sub-MOA loads in my 24" barreled Kimber 84L and have not noticed any spikes with increasing heat.

I have had good results with H1000 and 160 or 150 CX's and especially the 168 LRX. H4831SC works well for 175 ELD-X and 162 ELD-X.

Have you shot the 160 hammers ...Just wondering if they over 3K...thinking of building a 28 AI with a 22 in tube
No I haven’t tried any other Hammer bullet. Depending on what you’re hunting and how far you are shooting, I’d stay in the 130-145 grain weight range. Keep that impact velocity high. Also be sure to order a fast enough twist to stabilize your bullet of choice. All copper bullets are long and require fast twist barrels. My 280 AI has a 1-7.5” twist.

No I haven't tried any other Hammer bullet. Depending on what you're hunting and how far you are shooting, I'd stay in the 130-145 grain weight range. Keep that impact velocity high. Also be sure to order a fast enough twist to stabilize your bullet of choice. All copper bullets are long and require fast twist barrels. My 280 AI has a 1-7.5" twist.
Agree. I’ve tried heavier mono’s, but they are more suited to the likes of a 28N IMO. The beauty of the 280AI is the efficiency and mild recoil in a light weight rifle. I personally look for 3000+ fps as the sweet spot for the cartridge.

I’ve seen some interesting posts about Grand being good in a cartridge of the dimensions of a 280AI. It’s fairly new but sounds promising. I don’t know how it works relative to barrel length, 22” is pretty perfect for a 308 win, but the case capacity of the’06 family of cartridges should make much better use of extra length. I never understood why ‘06 cartridges are commonly 22”. I am pleased to see Browning building rifles with enough twist and length to make use of modern capabilities for older designs that are still very good.

Recent Posts