Powder advise for a 280ai.

Since your barrel is long-ish, and you're including 175s in your performance envelope; a case full of H1000 or Retumbo should work well for good velocities and reasonable precision.

IMR 8188 has been discontinued 😞 but it works exceptionally well with long-seated 183/197 grain Sierras from my 28" McGowan tube. 2900+ fps from the 180s and 2750+ from the 200s. Loading 'em out to the edges of AICS mags at 3.4xx"

I am not looking to highjack this thread, just looking for advice from 280 ai shooters.....

I have a 10 twist 280 improved that shoots a variety of 140 grain bullets just fine, but I would like to give 120 TTSX or BT's a try because I have a bunch of each. I plan on using them on deer or antelope only. Any powder suggestions would be appreciated as would any tested loads to help conserve on components.

I am not looking to highjack this thread, just looking for advice from 280 ai shooters.....

I have a 10 twist 280 improved that shoots a variety of 140 grain bullets just fine, but I would like to give 120 TTSX or BT's a try because I have a bunch of each. I plan on using them on deer or antelope only. Any powder suggestions would be appreciated as would any tested loads to help conserve on components.
Them 120s should be fast in a 280ai. I tested them in my 7-08 and was easily pushing 3250 but my gun liked the 140 ttsx. I was under a moderate load of staball6.5.

If you want serious temp stability, then H1000 is gonna be the best option.
I run it alone in my precision LR guns in most cals, including 5 300WM's, have another unfired Rem 700 5R also in 300WM. In fact, other than RE25, I rarely use anything but H1000, Retumbo & H50BMG.

Cheers.

I'd opt for the Hodgdon powders 4831, 4350 if I'm not trying to push velocity.

Peak velocity is a secondary concern for me as well - temperature stability is much more important in southern states.

And you can actually find Hodgdon powders at many LGS (I love RE23 but I'm careful about where I use it now).

H4831SC since you already have it on hand. Another powder that I've had good luck with is StaBall HD. It's supposed to be temperature stable. My 280AI love the 168 Nosler Custom Competition with a load of StaBall HD - and I can find it at my LGS.