POLL - Best do all camo for all hunting

What is your preferred do-all camo pattern for all types of hunting in the US?

• Mossy Oak

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ASAT

• Sitka

• First Lite

• Kuiu

• Realtree

• Predator

• Military Digital (MARPAT, etc?)

• Flannel and blue jeans

• Total voters
This is an age old debate. The best part is when guys try to act like camouflage doesn't work. It does work, it doesn't need to be the most expensive, high-end manufacturers, but to act like camouflage doesn't in some way provide any sort of advantage is kind of ridiculous. A pattern, suit or some kind of clothing that breaks up your outline and can help conceal any movement that may get you caught is deff something that works. That being said I hunt in solids for most all big game. Sometimes if I'm archery hunting I'll wear camo upper to help hide or conceal any movement I make drawing my bow but generally I prefer solids. Another, misnomer is that we are paying high dollar for this said camo pattern. The brand behind the pattern is what we are paying for. In many cases solids are more desirable than camo and are now more expensive because they sell. Cheap garments from Walmart with realtree or mossy oak will conceal you just as good as Kuiu or sitka but in my experience when I pay for Sitka I'm paying for the fit and performance of the garment that was designed with my intent in mind. Not mass produced to sell on the shelves at Walmart for the general public. Generally, camo is overrated but I have seen it work. I move slow, wear earth tones and keep the wind in my face. This gets me close, but camo can help.

What is the consensus on the the camo that is supposed to block our electric field created or maybe generated from our bodys .Interesting in theory just curious what you guys would think.

Camo doesn't matter when hunting big game. Maybe waterfowl, but even then building a good hide and staying still is the more important thing. I wear a lot of solids.
I remember a couple times after I started wearing camo where I walked into an opening not expecting to see any game and got busted. One cow started giving me the head bob and stomping her front feet...then she started barking. Seemed to me like she couldn't make me out and was trying to get me to move. Very similar reaction another time on 3 deer, one of which was a buck I shot while they stood around looking confused.

Another time I was walking on a trail through a meadow headed for a tree line that was about 50 yards ahead when a guy on a horse headed the other direction came out of the tree line. When the horse was about 20 yards away it started shaking its head and jumping sideways...clearly he was not happy to see me. I got off to the side of the trail to let them by and as they did so apologized to the guy for spooking his horse. He said "don't worry about it, he doesn't like camo".

This is an age old debate. The best part is when guys try to act like camouflage doesn't work. It does work, it doesn't need to be the most expensive, high-end manufacturers, but to act like camouflage doesn't in some way provide any sort of advantage is kind of ridiculous. A pattern, suit or some kind of clothing that breaks up your outline and can help conceal any movement that may get you caught is deff something that works. That being said I hunt in solids for most all big game. Sometimes if I'm archery hunting I'll wear camo upper to help hide or conceal any movement I make drawing my bow but generally I prefer solids. Another, misnomer is that we are paying high dollar for this said camo pattern. The brand behind the pattern is what we are paying for. In many cases solids are more desirable than camo and are now more expensive because they sell. Cheap garments from Walmart with realtree or mossy oak will conceal you just as good as Kuiu or sitka but in my experience when I pay for Sitka I'm paying for the fit and performance of the garment that was designed with my intent in mind. Not mass produced to sell on the shelves at Walmart for the general public. Generally, camo is overrated but I have seen it work. I move slow, wear earth tones and keep the wind in my face. This gets me close, but camo can help.
This is the truth. I grew up hunting in a t-shirt and jeans, got busted frequently, particularly when stalking or walking into the edge of a clearing. Switched to some old ASAT stuff and now I get busted significantly less. When I do get busted, half the time the deer just stare at me wondering what I am. This didn't happen often in a t shirt and jeans. Now, I just laugh when the good-enough crew swarm to talk about how camo is a myth.

I wear Kuiu but there are plenty of good alternatives out there. Sitka is nice because you can find it on the rack where you can see, feel and try the stuff on before you buy it.

FWIW - my hunting buddy wears blue jeans and a dark jacket. He takes just as much game as I do. As I've said many times, I wear camo for the trophy pix. LOL

So what's your poison? High contrast? Specialty? Cool looking? Nothing?
Have to go flannel and blue jeans, or perhaps the cargo pants. Out grew my Silent hide in mossy oak and never replaced them, still have scent free base layer stuff.

Opinion questions are simply that, opinions. Everyone has one to offer especially when it costs them nothing. That's why there are usually pages of responses. Rarely will I try to impose my opinion on something as opinionated as a subject like best or favorite camouflage. But sometimes I think of another way to think about these queries. Such as...

We, the American people spent 10's of millions of dollars over years of investigation for labs and manufacturers to devise the best general purpose camouflage. Every possible variation from the type of light used for viewing to the wear and tear of actual combat usage. The end result?

Multicam.

Eliminate your movement, control your smell and you will be pretty much undetectable.

However, I used to experiment a little while deer hunting in the UP. I have hunted in the typical blue jeans and warm coat, I tried some diversified camouflage then total blaze orange. On one occasion, I was leaning up against a tree just enjoying the day when a doe walked into a little clearing about 25 yards away. Typical UP doe, nothing amazing but I had a doe tag... and I was in solid blaze orange. She would put her head down to browse and I would move slightly getting my Contender into position. She tasted just as great as any other deer harvested no matter which camouflage I was wearing.

Turkey hunting and duck hunting are completely different. Camouflage is required.

Enjoy whatever trips your trigger!

😊