Pig hunting with knife and dogs

8C98CAEC-6A33-4352-B89F-105889CFCAB3.jpeg
AD3D88DB-105C-4076-B740-54D71798948C.jpeg
4443C5F9-CAE4-4CE2-A8B0-747FB6BAAC6D.jpeg
14C9F853-A4FB-4EFD-8C4C-B137B703B330.jpeg
I found some old photos this morning, sorry about the quality I just used my phone to copy. Pictures were taken in the early 90s. That's me in the creek at about 14 with my grandfather coming to help (he's in his 80s now and still fitter than most 18 year olds). A couple of good old dogs now long gone, two of the best we ever had actually, caught hundreds of pigs. And a pup in training. We never took any photos of the dogs on big boars, that was done once they were dead, priority was to help the dogs not take photos.

One of the coolest things I ever saw was a video of a Great Dane named Goliath. By his self he brought a 500-600 lbs pig to the point a hunter walked up and killed it with a knife. When they let the dog go I thought that dog was in trouble. That dog handled that pig the way my dog handles a wounded duck. It really was not much of a contest. This kind of hunting is not for me, but I fully support those it is for!! From an ethical stand point it was no different than my dog retrieving a duck and me wringing it's neck. In fact I would rather be the pig than the duck. Just my 2 cents.

"Ethical sport hunting" conjures up an image in my mind that does not include the taking of pigs as described. "Eradicating" nuisance animals is something different.
FWIW - I don't condemn any type of lawful hunting. I just don't consider this activity to be either sporting or in the best image of sport hunting.
But that's just my opinion and I realize that others may totally disagree. No disrespect meant towards anyone.

View attachment 107549 View attachment 107550 View attachment 107551 View attachment 107552 I found some old photos this morning, sorry about the quality I just used my phone to copy. Pictures were taken in the early 90s. That's me in the creek at about 14 with my grandfather coming to help (he's in his 80s now and still fitter than most 18 year olds). A couple of good old dogs now long gone, two of the best we ever had actually, caught hundreds of pigs. And a pup in training. We never took any photos of the dogs on big boars, that was done once they were dead, priority was to help the dogs not take photos.
Thanks for the pictures

"Ethical sport hunting" conjures up an image in my mind that does not include the taking of pigs as described. "Eradicating" nuisance animals is something different.
FWIW - I don't condemn any type of lawful hunting. I just don't consider this activity to be either sporting or in the best image of sport hunting.
But that's just my opinion and I realize that others may totally disagree. No disrespect meant towards anyone.
I agree I don't really consider this sport hunting I fee it is eradication of a invasive species by all means possible.

One of the coolest things I ever saw was a video of a Great Dane named Goliath. By his self he brought a 500-600 lbs pig to the point a hunter walked up and killed it with a knife. When they let the dog go I thought that dog was in trouble. That dog handled that pig the way my dog handles a wounded duck. It really was not much of a contest. This kind of hunting is not for me, but I fully support those it is for!! From an ethical stand point it was no different than my dog retrieving a duck and me wringing it's neck. In fact I would rather be the pig than the duck. Just my 2 cents.

Catch dogs don't seem to have a problem holding onto 300-400lb boars. They are so big not agile and wear down fast. 250lbers with 4" cutters kill more catch dogs than any and have relentless stamina. They are big, strong, quick, and if that dog ever loses an ear that pig will do some damage quick. Some how they will even cut through the Kevlar vest and make fatal lacerations in seconds. I would have never thought this style of hunting would have been looked down upon on this site from fellow hunters. These pigs expire quickly by knife. More quickly than a poor shot from a rifle that I've seen so many hunters make when I used to guide for whitetail and have to track up to a mile or more with dogs. These guys are not violent or trying to be badass's, it's just an effective safe way to harvest the animal when dogs are all over the pig and to avoid damaging their hearing. Then again I doubt most of these guys have gone out and shot or trapped 100's of hogs just to go back out to the same field's the next weekend and see a 100 more in the same area or see the damage they do to crops. Some areas in the South are overrun with feral hogs and at one time farmers used to pay hunters to come trap and hunt them. It may not be for everyone but it's not cruel and before you say it's not sporting you may try it first and see the challenges it presents. Everyone has opinions and that's all they are, I'm not calling out anyone in particular but I do not believe it's possible to pass judgement on an activity that one has not spent a significant amount of time doing first hand.

I think the reason folks look down on it is the knife. Most folks picture it as a macho thing. I know I did before I went with those guys and my eyes were opened. I have been fortunate enough to have killed a lot of game, with both gun and bow. I learned that a knife can kill as quick as a gun, assuming a non CNS hit with the gun. Done by someone who knows what they are doing, death can come in just a few breaths. I fear knives just as much as a gun now. You CWC guys out there should be taking notes here. Done correctly, this is as humane a death as any. I am a pretty good shot, but threading a bullet in the middle of all that is going on would be really tough. Putting it in a vital area would be even harder. I understand that when they use guns they don't use the catch dog. They have to get really close, and the chase dogs are more vulnerable to the pig. We carried guns. They were for if a pig broke lose and we were in its way. Not an ideal place to be. Didn't fire a shot. They guy had well trained dogs that are worth a fortune, and knew exactly what he was doing. Very different world for me and definitely way out of my comfort zone. All of us hunters have to stick together and not judge what we have not seen. Please guys keep an open mind. This is not an easy hunt.

I was going to stay out of this as I feel responsible for starting the debate. I agree 100% about sticking together as sportsmen. We cannibalize each other worse than the republicans. I do not want to see more regulations against hunting particularly with a group of hunters advocating for it.

I have hunted lions and coons with hounds. It is truly all about the dogs. These sports are looked down on by the non hunting community "because the quarry doesn't stand a chance". In most types of hound hunting the quarry is treed or bayed up. This one is different because the dogs actually catch the animal and submit it. If allowed I am sure the dogs would finish the job without the hunter. The dogs are trained to kill the prey. Every good hound has to believe they can and will kill the prey. When we shot lions from the tree I am pretty sure the hounds thought they had killed the lion. The best reward for the hounds was to let them attack the dead cat. If you don't give them that reward they lose their desire to hunt/kill the prey. The term used was "letting the dogs get some fur".

This style of hunting with dogs seems one step short of the blood sports, with dogs, that are outlawed. Pit fighting or putting rodents into pens and see how many the dog can kill in a certain amount of time. Only difference here is the "pit" is much bigger. After seeing video of poachers in South Africa with their dogs and rebar spears poaching animals... I'll leave it at that.

I have absolute admiration for the dogs and their ability. They are very good at what they do.

Steve

I just think I would be a hypocrite looking down on these guys when I use dogs to chase and catch waterfowl. A sport I love and I deeply love my dogs too. This is why I am so passionate defending a sport I really don't care for.

Man has used dogs forever! For all sorts of tasks Indigenous people used them as pack animals. Purpose bred dogs are happier doing their job be it retrieving herding treeing
pointing. I admire anyone who really puts the work into a kennel of dogs and strives to maintain a standard..

I agree I have bird dogs also. Put untold hours in training. I have felt more pain when one of my dogs dies than I have for some people. I didn't want to start a big bitch session when I asked for info on doing this. That is the problem with today's society how about worry about your self and not what everyone else is doing. And god forbid we hurt someone's feelings! Oh I suppose I wasn't allowed to use the word GOD either ! Like the NFL I was at Omaha beach cemetery at attention when they played taps and were lowering the flag when I heard about kneeling for the flag. Never watched football again! I am done ranting now sorry

I think the reason folks look down on it is the knife. Most folks picture it as a macho thing. I know I did before I went with those guys and my eyes were opened. I have been fortunate enough to have killed a lot of game, with both gun and bow. I learned that a knife can kill as quick as a gun, assuming a non CNS hit with the gun. Done by someone who knows what they are doing, death can come in just a few breaths. I fear knives just as much as a gun now. You CWC guys out there should be taking notes here. Done correctly, this is as humane a death as any. I am a pretty good shot, but threading a bullet in the middle of all that is going on would be really tough. Putting it in a vital area would be even harder. I understand that when they use guns they don't use the catch dog. They have to get really close, and the chase dogs are more vulnerable to the pig. We carried guns. They were for if a pig broke lose and we were in its way. Not an ideal place to be. Didn't fire a shot. They guy had well trained dogs that are worth a fortune, and knew exactly what he was doing. Very different world for me and definitely way out of my comfort zone. All of us hunters have to stick together and not judge what we have not seen. Please guys keep an open mind. This is not an easy hunt.
I agree with the fear of knives in self defense. I own a tactical shooting range and we do a lot of knife defense training. A knife is way more deadly than a gun. A gun can be taken out of the fight by jamming or empty or redirecting line of fire. But a knife stays deadly the whole encounter and is a much closer and faster attack.

I make some really cool Tantos. They will pierce things that will stop a 9MM or a .45
It's all in the angle of the thrust and concentrated force on the point.
In Ky. I can carry a pistol, sword,switch blade,blackjack karate stars about anything that's classed as a deadly weapon .

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts