Pig hunting near Colorado?

spdcrazy

Been itching to go hog hunting. Did some research and there "used to be" a ranch in southern Pueblo and one in grand junction. Can't seem to find them anymore tho. So if not southern Colorado, do I really have to go to Texas? Trying to make a long weekend trip from the Denver area to help fill my freezer (salmon/ling cod/bear) is getting low.

I hear parts of Texas are scared to let people hunt due to a church accident that happened a while back. Is this still the case? I could make a long drive to the panhandle if the price was right. What is your thoughts?

Two regulars to the hog hunting boards, djones and doublenaughtspy live in Texas and may be able to give more information regarding Texas hunting grounds should your Colorado search not pan out.

Another regular, Coy Franks has relayed that people are hesitant to let others hog hunt on private property due to an incident with a church group. Not sure if it is the same incident you reference.

That's an easy fix purchase your own liability insurance plan and give a copy to the land owner. It is very inexpensive I did this just in case and still no one will let you hunt there land. That really bugs me cause they are more than happy to take fed funding for crop damage. And most will sell hunts for this terrible problem but want a ton of money per pig.
I understand the accident things but if someone can come up with insurance and a few solid references from other guides or ranches should be no problem. This isn't just a Texas hog deal either. We have it here in Michigan with deer. People have whole crops taken out by deer but will let no one hunt the land, but have no problem claiming crop damage and getting paid from the state for loses. Anyway back on track I would just try and find a ranch that has a good track record and give them a try good luck. You will love hog hunting.

Two regulars to the hog hunting boards, djones and doublenaughtspy live in Texas and may be able to give more information regarding Texas hunting grounds should your Colorado search not pan out.

Another regular, Coy Franks has relayed that people are hesitant to let others hog hunt on private property due to an incident with a church group. Not sure if it is the same incident you reference.

Yes that is the same incident I believe. Read it on a different post on here....

So its back to the ranch's and $$$ huh... Well it is what it is, just need to get into he woods...

I'll contact the two you mentioned.. Thank you

Try the Texas Boars forum. You might also try the regional page on this forum.

It is sad that land owners are so cautious about letting people hunt hogs on their property, but it is a sign of our litigious society. Sue anyone and everyone when you are hurt as a result of your own stupidity. If I had hogs on my property I would probably not let others hunt for fear of getting sued should something go wrong.

Try the Texas Boars forum. You might also try the regional page on this forum.

It is sad that land owners are so cautious about letting people hunt hogs on their property, but it is a sign of our litigious society. Sue anyone and everyone when you are hurt as a result of your own stupidity. If I had hogs on my property I would probably not let others hunt for fear of getting sued should something go wrong.

Good call. I'll look some more when I get to work tonight!

the liability thing is a big part, but the other side is that there are people who will and have abused landowners. case in point...

i hunt a spot next to a couple of fields with a lot of hogs. they're there mostly because i have caused the survivors to move there. naturally i tried to get permission to hunt it by seeing if his neighbors could get me in. a reference from a land owner's friend is the best back stage pass i've found. however, the guy just didn't want any hunting.

then a neighboring landowner asked me to get his kid a hog. i said his buddy's unhunted field was the best chance of a guaranteed kill for a kid with minimal effort. they were best friends and the guy still didn't allow it.

finally i saw the land owner one day and stopped to say hello and introduce myself as the guy everyone was calling him about. turns out he's a super nice guy but explained that he wasn't even letting his family members hunt. he said over time he has had panel boxes, tractor windows, truck radiators and pivot tires shot up. because of that, he doesn't want anyone hunting, period.

poachers have no respect for property, wildlife or laws. they don't ask. they just take. then there are the folks who say all the right things and give a good first impression, get to hunt, then come back without permission and bring their friends. there are even people who have permission who cause an accident but won't own up to it. i suspect most land owners in prime hunting spots have seen it all.

so, while i don't always understand a land owner's decision, i've learned to respect it. after all, they have the right to refuse hunting to anyone and everyone for any reason or no reason... AND the right to file an insurance claim if the crop fails :)

the liability thing is a big part, but the other side is that there are people who will and have abused landowners. case in point...

i hunt a spot next to a couple of fields with a lot of hogs. they're there mostly because i have caused the survivors to move there. naturally i tried to get permission to hunt it by seeing if his neighbors could get me in. a reference from a land owner's friend is the best back stage pass i've found. however, the guy just didn't want any hunting.

then a neighboring landowner asked me to get his kid a hog. i said his buddy's unhunted field was the best chance of a guaranteed kill for a kid with minimal effort. they were best friends and the guy still didn't allow it.

finally i saw the land owner one day and stopped to say hello and introduce myself as the guy everyone was calling him about. turns out he's a super nice guy but explained that he wasn't even letting his family members hunt. he said over time he has had panel boxes, tractor windows, truck radiators and pivot tires shot up. because of that, he doesn't want anyone hunting, period.

poachers have no respect for property, wildlife or laws. they don't ask. they just take. then there are the folks who say all the right things and give a good first impression, get to hunt, then come back without permission and bring their friends. there are even people who have permission who cause an accident but won't own up to it. i suspect most land owners in prime hunting spots have seen it all.

so, while i don't always understand a land owner's decision, i've learned to respect it. after all, they have the right to refuse hunting to anyone and everyone for any reason or no reason... AND the right to file an insurance claim if the crop fails :)

Very true I've heard the same horror stories from owners. And I to have to respect if they say no. It is there land after all. I also don't mind if they decide to claim insurance for losses cause they pay premiums for that. In Michigan though they would get huge checks cut from the state for a lost crop which is not right. Insurance is one thing tax payers should not have to pay for others losses. Farmer that butts up to me had his insurance dropped from claims every year for losses and then decided to let his son in law use the crop damage permits. He killed over 60 deer that summer and fall and almost all went into a ditch and got burried and it took a tool on the herd. Said they couldn't find someone to take the meat. But he had a huge problem with others shooting his center pivots so I get the no hunting thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.