Outdoorsmans tripod on 85mm spotter?

Thanks for splendid advice!

Now that the Slik 613 cf is out of production - what are my choices in that class?

A combination of Outdoorsmans + JW is out of the question a good set, however I plan to use th on the West coast of Norway, and in New Zealand (trying to make a trip every second or third year down there for thar and chamois..) which means I'll make a 1000m hike UP every day, preferably with all the gear. We often see animals on otpposite faces miles away worth checking out for another day - it is so steep, that to reveal the animals I often need to get up a fair bit..

My spotter is angled - and is what i find best when looking uphill. I also like to be able to sit backwards towards a rock or log, and place the tripod in front of me, legs spread outside mine, and get a correct height that way.

Have googled quite a few tripods tonight - a Slik Sprint Mini II might tick the box? 26lb only, with a ball head - I could rip the ball head off and replace it with a JW head and STILL have a low weight solution with good ergonomics?

The Slik 624 looks like its 1.8lbs, same as the short outdoorsmans. The 624 is 14in folded 45in max height. I know a few guys who use the sprint mini. I have never used one though. It may be too light for the big spotters, but would definately get the job done. If you dont touch anything it would't wobble. I may use my spotters different than others. 95% of the time I am parked behind 15x binos. I only use a spotter for a few minutes at a time to get a real good look at something way off. I wouldn't want to glass with a spotter only, and definately not off of a real light weight tripod. I do think the Sliks are a good bank for the buck compared to the other top tripod makes. You may wat to take a look at gitzo stuff. It is high dollar, but the photo guys rave about it. Ive never used one, but I've seen a few.

I use the slik mini with my Swaro 15x56's and it works well. One thing to be aware is that you can tighten up the screws/nuts on the legs before you head out and it will be much more stable of course that is not necessary when it is new only after you have had it for awhile. I also have a big bogen w/ a pistol grip but it stays with the truck, heeaavvvvyy...

I would not use the mini for my Swaro 80HD spotter it is just not quite stable enough. As Len mentioned the issue is that the lens is much further from the center of the tripod whereas the bino's center much better w/ the swaro attachment.

I am looking at the CF tripods as well. Looks like Slik, Vangaurd, Sunpak, and Benro all have less expensive models around 2.5 lbs but it is hard to find a place to actually get your hands on one. I am also looking at the Bog Pod system as it is light and offers some good options but my guess is it won't be stable enough for the spotter.

My dilemma is I want to carry everything I own and I will need to find a much better tripod to make use of the big spotter. I have a buddy that carries the big binos, a spotter, and a small pair of binos he wears and I used to make fun of him. Now I am trying to figure out how to carry all that and a +10lb rifle. :D

Just following up on this thread as I did purchase a CF tripod that may be of interest to the OP.

I took a chance on a smoking web price for a Benro C-058M8 and it looks good so far. I put a Monfrotto mini ball head and it comes in right at 2.5 lbs. Since I have less than $200 into the thing I think that is a pretty good deal. The unit has both rubber and screw type feet that are interchangeable and 3 position locks on the legs to widen the stance, it also has a post that can be used as 3/8 or 1/4 inch so it will take just about any head you may already have.
What I don't like; the Benro has screw type leg locks and my experience is the lever ones are much easier in the field and not prone to over tightening (stripping).

We will see how it does this season so far the price and weight are right and it is MUCH more stable than my Slik mini at only slightly more weight. If it works well in the field I will probably put a Jim White head on it as an upgrade.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.