Tripod Bino adapter- still carry a spotter?

Just as a follow-up, I ended up taking both on my mule deer hunt. I spent 95% of my glassing time behind the binos, but in the 5% that I needed the 48X to get a closer look the spotter was invaluable. I'd rather cut weight elsewhere and keep taking all the glass I can carry!

Just as a follow-up, I ended up taking both on my mule deer hunt. I spent 95% of my glassing time behind the binos, but in the 5% that I needed the 48X to get a closer look the spotter was invaluable. I'd rather cut weight elsewhere and keep taking all the glass I can carry!

Awesome! Sounds just like what I did.. sort of. Just got back from a cow hunt. Excellent, cloudy weather - was perfect. Terrain went from high ridges to thick timber in some points. Fog inhibited the hunt for quite a while. I took a lightweight, compact 15-45x60 spotting scope (sometimes used free-hand) and 10x42 binos. Friend bought a higher powered bino with tripod. I can tell you, we all used our binos nearly all of the time. I pulled out the spotter once, but it lacks the quality glass my binos had. Ended up leaving the spotter behind on the second day. Glassed solely with the binos and did the last of it with the scope.

Will be in the market for a higher-quality spotter, probably will stick with the same specs for my style and terrain of hunting. But, if it just doesn't have that quality glass, it just won't make the cut. My binos had way less power, but it was crystal clear. Wish I had the quality glass in my spotter like you did, then maybe I wouldn't have left it behind!

What tripod adapter are you guys using for binos? I've used the vortex adaptor but I don't like having to unscrew the 4-5 inch post when you load up. I've seen other adaptors but curious what people like and use.

Last edited:
I run the same set up, 10xEL on outdoorsman stud and micro pan head. For a spotter I'm carrying the Zeiss Dialyt. If you want to cut weight I'd look hard at your tripod and your spotter combo.

My Zeiss spotter, Slik 634cf tripod and the micro pan head together come out to 5lb 3oz!- which I think is fantastic for a weight vs quality compromise. The micro also handles that spotter just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.