Outdoorsmans tripod on 85mm spotter?

Villreinjeger

I'm looking for a light setup for mye spotter. The 85mm will never get light, but I'd like it as light as possible, yet stable.

Ttoday I have this one, at app. 3,7lbs:

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/reviews/tripods-and-supports/127384/1/digipod-c2840.html

Looking into this one, medium size along with pistolgrip head, apparently 3 lbs all up:

http://shop.outdoorsmans.com/category.sc?categoryId=3

http://shop.outdoorsmans.com/category.sc?categoryId=2

My concern is wether it is stable enough for such a large spotter??

Would it work better with a 65mm spotter? i'd rather not trad down to a smaller one - gives med less power in field, and I use it for long range shooting at the range too.

Any views from those that have the same size spotter is much appreciated!

I use the Medium Outdoorsmans tripod with my spotter. It is plenty strong and stable for an 85mm scope. I currently use a smaller scope but have plenty of experience with larger ones up to the 85 to state my opinion.

But...I think the Jim White head is a much more stable head than the one you mention for such a big scope. I tried both and chose the Jim White for myself.

I sell both the Outdoorsmans tripod and the Jim White tripod head in the LRH Gear Shop.

Thanks for a splendid advice!

That brings the tripod+head weight down a further 200grams. Besides it is a better head than I currently have

Not a lot of weightloss, but it all adds up in the backpack..!

Outdoorsman med/jim white head is what I use and it holds a razor spotter very stable

I've just sold the Zeiss 85mm, and bought a swaro 65mm HD instead.

I'll probably go for the jw head, however, the pistol-grip head is lighter? Is it also as stable as the jw? If so, I might go for the pistol-grip as it probably is better to use with gloves/mittens?

I don't remember which is lighter. However -- I tried both before settlinig on the JW. In my opinion, with years of serious photography experience, the JW is more stable and less prone to slight shake or vibration.

If you envision the pistol grip, it is very tall. The scope is attached to the very top of the very tall pistol grip. Both are good with gloves/mittens on.

I chose the JW. Very pleased with its stability and function

The outdoorsmans tripod works well and I really like the outdoorsmans pistol grip head. It works well and is easy to use. Very stable!

There is an easy way to compare the stability of the pistol grip vs the Jim White head. I learned it from my experience of evaluating tripod heads for use with a long and heavy $9,000 Nikon telephoto lens for my $5,000 camera.

While the spotting scope is mounted and you are viewing a distant object, tap your index finger lightly against the forward portion of the scope.

This will introduce a certain amount of image jiggle. Compare the amount induced with each of the mounting systems.

The Jim White is an obvious winner in my actual test.

I've already decided on a package with the JW-head.

Had a gearbox-breakdown on my car, so have to wait a couple of months with purchase to see how expensive it all turns out to be..

Want a 65mm 25-50x65mm HD now that is considerably lighter than the 85mm one.

Do you think the smallest tripod model would be useful?
The spotter is angled, 'cause I'll be Spotting upwards at a 30+ deegre of angle.
I could live with a solution were I lie down to spot upwards, but still beeing able to sit when Spotting at animals at the same height or lower. Would the smallest tripod with JW head fit the bill, or too unstable compared to medium height?

Light spotter for swaro ATS HD 65mm?

I just got a second-hand swaro ATS HD 65mm in excellent condition for a fair price - lighter tripod next!

I've had a look around for lighter tripods as my hunting will be primarily backpackhunts alone.

Has anyone tried the Slik 613 CF on a similar spotter? Steady enough?
I thought of mounting the JW head on that tripod.. any other suggestions?
I'd very much like to save the extra 0,8 lb from the outdoorsmans medium if able to...

A third option would be the Vortex High counry tripod kit. athough, I'd rather have the tripod with a JW head in stead of the head that comes with it... Does anyone know who produces that light tripod for Vortex? This package included JW is considerably cheaper, and about 22oz heavier, than the Slik+JW.

I have K&K outdoors tripod and its great... light and tough. I highly recommend the outdoordsmans pistol grip... that is what i will upgrade to

Re: Light spotter for swaro ATS HD 65mm?

I just got a second-hand swaro ATS HD 65mm in
Has anyone tried the Slik 613 CF on a similar spotter? Steady enough?
I thought of mounting the JW head on that tripod.. any other suggestions?
I'd very much like to save the extra 0,8 lb from the outdoorsmans medium if able to...

QUOTE]

I use a slik 714cf, a few of my buddies use 613cfs. They both work well. The 613s arent tall enough to stand and glass. My 714 is, but it is quite a bit heavier however. The Jim White head is a very well built head. I don't like them because I can't run one very well. I prefer pan heads. If you are fine with the way the JW operates it is tough to beat. I prefer the 700rc2 heads. The outdoorsmans pan heads are nice, but not 3x nicer then the 700rc2 for my money. The long handle on the 700rc2 works well for spotters and video. I cant imagine using a pistol grip for a spotter. A pistol grip head is useless for me, with 15x or spotters. Besides that I feel like smackin guys who are glassin with pistol grips besides me. I can only take so much of "click click" every few seconds, amybe I'm easily aggrivated, but that "click click" is worse than nails on a chalk board for me.

I know exactly what your talking about! Clicking can be pretty annoying.. Same goes with some who click their pen time and again... Next time I hear that in one of my meetings I'll ask the person wether I'm boring him.. ;)

I'm willing to pay up a bit if I can save som considerable weight. I'd save heaps by getting a ligheter backpack - however my framed backpack is very durable and can take a heck of a lot of weight before it turn uncomfortable, which it does, taking the meat out. Freely moving hipbelt as walk aso too.. Weighs about 10lb.... Might seems ridiculous to save ozes when i have such a backpack, but that's how it's going to be.. it has to withstand the gorillas at the the airport fully loaded woth gear..

Would the shortest outdoorsman be sufficient for that particular spotter? I do not mind lying down when spotting or put it on top of a boulder.

Has anyone tried the Vortex tripod? That's the lightest so far - with the JW head...

The outdoorsmans are great legs. Not sure where you are located though. Otdoorsmans (in north Phoenix) will go though and clean your tripod legs and get them running like new for nothing, kinda difficult if your not in AZ.

I understand your thoughts on weight. If im helping, not trigger man, I usually haul my slik 714cf and a bogen 301BN both with 700rc2 heads. That bogen works well, but man is it heavy. I think you would be happy with the 613cf or outdoorsmans. I'd prefer the slik, just because the outdoorsmans are limited in height, I think most are 2 piece legs, or the ones that I've used are. I'm not sure which is lighter.

I know guys who swear by the slik cf, outdoorsmans, or the bogen cf($$$). Those good sets of legs are pretty much interchangable. None of the guys I know would refuse to use any of those. The 613 slik is prettsmall when folded up. Its hard to explain, but they take up very little room. Most of the time with spotters you want the tripod as low as possible on your tripod to minimize wobble. That's one of the reasons I prefer angled. You gould get away with a pretty short set of legs for long trips. I prefer the taller legs. I use them as shooting sticks or to video to to have the 15x's and spotter out at the same time. I have considered buying a set of 613cf legs for a light weight set for long trips many times.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.