Tripod Bino adapter- still carry a spotter?

igordon81

This is an open question for anyone running a bino adapter for their tripod. Do you still haul your spotter, or do you find yourself only using the binos? I have Swaro EL 10x42s and I'm looking at the Outdoorsmans stud adapter. I would love to find an excuse to leave my 4lb Vortex spotting scope out of my pack, so I'd love to hear from some folks that have used only binos on a tripod in the backcountry.

Location really plays no part in the answer to the question,
same as no excuse is necessary for attempting to minimize the weight.
The real question is, is 10x enough power, and you probably already know the answer.
The better question might be can i change my optics choices to be more suitable to my particular needs, and that answer is probably yes.

I think it just depends on your style of hunting and your priorities. I definitely think you'll get a ton more utility out of your binos on a tripod, but I think for really picking apart shadows and promising bedding areas you'll miss your spotter.

I agree with the two above. In open/big country where you are glassing long distances, a spotter is needed IMO. It can save from an unnecessary stalk (time and energy) on an animal you don't want to shoot that could have been figured on with a spotter. In these areas I glass with 12x and throw on the spotter when I locate anything of interest. But it is really hunt dependent, I often only carry 10 or 12x Binos on bow hunts and those in thick areas.

I still carry my spotting scope and use at nearly every glassing point. I find deer that I can't see with binos even on a tripod at times and I can size-up the animal much better with the spotter. Some of country I hunt it is a several hour commitment to get close enough to shot and I the time and energy is wasted if get bere to find out that want to pass on a buck. Also I like to take pictures of animals through the spotter.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think I answered my question on a early scouting trip after I got the Outdoorsman's stud installed on my ELs. I left the spotter at my camp one day, and the mounted binos were definitely a passable glassing method and much improved over handheld, but there is no replacement for magnification sometimes. Obviously a lot depends on the country you're in, but for this upcoming trip (high country archery mule deer) the spotter will come along.

This is an open question for anyone running a bino adapter for their tripod. Do you still haul your spotter, or do you find yourself only using the binos? I have Swaro EL 10x42s and I'm looking at the Outdoorsmans stud adapter. I would love to find an excuse to leave my 4lb Vortex spotting scope out of my pack, so I'd love to hear from some folks that have used only binos on a tripod in the backcountry.
I think that depends on what you are looking for. If you are "trophy" hunting, then a spotter is a necessity to truly judge the size of the animal. If you are not concerned with the size of your game, then I believe 10x binoculars are enough to determine whether an animal has a rack or not. I always carry my spotter (Vortex Razor 65mm) at the beginning of the season. As my needs change as the season wind down I will leave it at home.

I agree with previous posters. Besides, some spotters are really coming in a lot slimmer and lighter weight these days. I think it really depends on how much usable detail you want at extreme distances - want to determine if it's a trophy worth going after? - spotter. Want general details to find and sneak up on the nearest herd? - bino. But, I know Swaro has that awesome glass that can easily provide more clarity than a cheap spotter with 3x the magnification. Happy hunting!

I agree with previous posters. Besides, some spotters are really coming in a lot slimmer and lighter weight these days. I think it really depends on how much usable detail you want at extreme distances - want to determine if it's a trophy worth going after? - spotter. Want general details to find and sneak up on the nearest herd? - bino. But, I know Swaro has that awesome glass that can easily provide more clarity than a cheap spotter with 3x the magnification. Happy hunting!
Well in fairness, power can ruin viewing quality regardless of the cost of the optic. You can see that all the time in your rifle scope. Optical quality simply wont improve poor conditions such as mirage.
You also cant compare using a spotting scope regardless of quality to that of using binnoculars.
If you think you can, then cover one eye when using your Swaros for an hour and compare the difference.
50 mm spotters can be made to excel over high quality binnoculars for glassing, and they need not be the latest high cost model.
But not as individual spotters.

I've expressed this opinion here before and it is unpopular. But it worked for me. I run my swaro 10X42's on a tripod and then use my 8-32x nightforce rifle scope for final determination. Obviously I'm not scoping something I don't have an interest in shooting. The binos get me close enough to know if I need to really look it over. Such as looking a ram over in Alaska. The chamber is empty until the final call is made anyway. That said, I've always hunted with a partner and one of us carried a spotter anyway. No need for two spotters in my opinion.

Especially in more open country, using your binos is easier for hill sides and basins, bitterbrush etc areas to glass into thats immediate to you. Seeing what you believe might be movements, or following what your hunting with the optic will be better served with the spotting scope, especially if you are trying to put it to bed. I usually break out the spotter after doing a quick snaked eye look of my immediate area and a few good grid scans into the areas in question once a glassing position

Especially in more open country, using your binos is easier for hill sides and basins, bitterbrush etc areas to glass into thats immediate to you. Seeing what you believe might be movements, or following what your hunting with the optic will be better served with the spotting scope, especially if you are trying to put it to bed. I usually break out the spotter after doing a quick snaked eye look of my immediate area and a few good grid scans into the areas in question once a glassing position
Much depends on where, and then how you prefer to hunt.
PA has for many decades been one of the top 4 states as for hunting license sales. Many of those hunters are long range only hunters, and some have been for a very long time.
The terrain in the NC region of the state is ideal for that type hunting due to steep mountains fairly close together, as well as some also having deep wide hollows to both glass and shoot across. However, it does not lend itself well to spot and stalk type hunting. Therefore virtually all long range hunting is done from a fixed location.
Locations are chosen, largely according to conditions such as sun angle, and changes in location are made for that reason as well.
In other words good in the am, poor in the pm,
or vice versa, unless of coarse it's an overcast day.
All the hunters will be using tripod mounted binnoculars, it would be extremely rare to see a spotting scope being used in conjunction with hand held binnoculars.
Some of the locations will be considerable distances to hike, and others will be very close to the vehicle. Regardless, the method of glassing wont vary.
If you were to spend an entire day driving from location to location, and saw 50 or more hunters in small groups, probably all 50 will be using 2 spotting scopes in machined adjustable brackets.
Some will be larger or smaller than others,
due to personal choice and of coarse cost, but all will be using them. Twin 80 mm Swarovskis or Kowas are now very common, as well as the now very old Bushnell scopes in both 50 and 60 mm which are by far the most popular. This is not a new thing, ive been using them for 45 years, and they have been around much longer than that.
Bausch & Lomb marketed them as a cataloug item in the 60s with their still excellent Balscope spotters.
As good as some of the modern day optics are, nothing can compare with twin spotters for extended long range glassing for various reasons.
Main ones being, power can easily be changed to match the situation by changing the eyepiece.
If they get knocked over and out of alignment, they can be fixed right on the spot easily unless glass has been broken.
No I don't sell them lol, but I might be helpful.

I have 10 days to figure this out .....
Needless to say, crunch time has arrived. lol
At this point I think you need to take a spotter.
But I don't think you need a 4# spotter either.
Id be going on Ebay and buying a good used one in 50 to 60 mm like several listed there right now.
Several will be bought well under $100, and another
probably just over that amount.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.