One piece rests

Ok, on a serious note, here's my 2 cents. As we know, the sled itself (if set up properly) is supposed to disipate 95% of the kenetic energy of the fired round, thus greatly reducing perceived recoil. If done so properly, upon firing, energy disipates through the stock to the sled, through the bench and into the ground. I believe most any issues that arise may come from NOT having the sled properly weighted. It is supposed to be "anchored" with 40 to 50 pounds of weight - usually lead shot in a weight bag. The newer models by Caldwell include a weight bag.

What I have seen at the range is that alot of folks either don't "weight" their sleds or don't weight them enough. As far as killing scopes (and I said that tongue in cheek) What usually kills scopes is not mounting them correctly... especially if over torqued. The sled itself is not so much the culprit, however, I can see where it might change some points of energy disipation and may hasten the process.

These are only my own observations and definately non-scientific by any means. I don't care for them as they are heavy, bulky and just more stuff to tweak before getting down to business. My simplistic view is that if the sled is set up properly and a shooter is having problems grouping there are other issues at hand.

I have one. I thought it would be good to start load development with 458 Lott. No optic. The butt pad fell off. After that, I tried it with lighter guns and lower recoil. It was worthless.

What I find sells them is someone decides the need a new xxxx game rifle. It is easy to buy one or 2 levels bigger. Then that person struggles with groups. I don't mean 2 moa, I mean 4-5moa 3 shot groups.

Buying the lead sled gets the 338 super mag antelope rifle down to 1.5-2.0moa 3 shot groups. Scope still haywire, but often they cannot easily separate a bad scope on a boomer from a broke bad scope on a boomer.

When someone shoots under 1 moa with their rifle, that is just a good shooter testing.

I guess I'm saying the lead sled gets lost in the noise of oversized guns, bad scopes and poor shooting.

Something that I've noticed and I almost always bight my lip about is guys shooting off led sleds or similar type rests hoping to eliminate their mistakes. I've never seen this to work on any rifle with a decent amount of recoil. I always want to say something and help them out but through experience, I wait till either they ask me or someone points them over to me. If your groups look like crap when you're trying to shoot your light, unbraked magnum, it's not going to improve inside a led sled. It's more than likely going to get worse. Just something I've noticed through the years. Maybe others have some different insights on how to get a lead sled to work better than a good rest setup
What's the heaviest recoiling gun that you shoot?…not that you've shot…but own and shoot?
Thanks

I have 2 300 prc's currently. I get the feeling you're not agreeing that a lead sled or similar isn't the best choice for shooting good groups. Well, I've never seen one that did and I'm just trying to help someone before they waste the time and money on one. Maybe you have a different experience with one?

I have had guys bring me rifles they're having trouble with for quite a few years. Before muzzle brakes were a thing, I'd have to say the hardest recoiling rifle I've ever been asked help with was either the 300 or 340 weatherby. I couldn't hold a group with either one good enough to identify and repair the problem so I deduced the recoil would have to be reduced as the problem. I have recently did load work up on a 30-378 and can't imagine not having a muzzle brake. But I definitely wouldn't use a lead sled or similar device to do load work up.

Have you ever tried leaving a ~ 1" gap between the end of the buttstock and the "Lead Sled"/ One-Piece Rest, when you shot for accuracy?

So then the gun recoils 1" before hitting the "One Piece Rest", which your shoulders rests against.

This is probably easier for me since my LOP is 15 1/2".

I haven't but if that's something you've found that works, I will definitely suggest it if I run into someone struggling at the range. In my mind I don't see that being successful as it would move off target during recoil. I've watched a few rail guns struggle with this concept at the range ( they have a competition there) and they were expensive looking heavy machined objects

I haven't but if that's something you've found that works, I will definitely suggest it if I run into someone struggling at the range. In my mind I don't see that being successful as it would move off target during recoil. I've watched a few rail guns struggle with this concept at the range ( they have a competition there) and they were expensive looking heavy machined objects
???
How are you shooting you guns?
Free recoil?

It depends. Like I said, I get a lot of different guns brought to me. I'm currently teaching a friend to reload and have been shooting a bergara hmr 300 win mag and an old Remington bolt action 30-30. And just started tearing apart an old youth model savage 7mm-08. None of these will respond the same and I have to quickly as possible figure them out.

lead sleds are handy for two things, holding a gun firm to walk your scope over to the hole you just put in the target for a quick zero, and breaking something on your rifle.

easy enough to move the poi without the sled and I'd rather not break a scope or mount so I don't own a lead sled

I had some scrap steel lying around in the shop, so I slapped a one piece rest together. I 3-D printed the knobs from PTEG, and the pads from TPU. I have bags, but I can just leave this rest on my shooting bench in the field all year round. It works well, but I have to modify the rear rest.

Attachments

• IMG20220910123727 - Copy.jpg
    IMG20220910123727 - Copy.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG20220910184505 - Copy.jpg
    IMG20220910184505 - Copy.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG20220910184525 - Copy.jpg
    IMG20220910184525 - Copy.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 10