One piece rests

nealm66

Something that I've noticed and I almost always bight my lip about is guys shooting off led sleds or similar type rests hoping to eliminate their mistakes. I've never seen this to work on any rifle with a decent amount of recoil. I always want to say something and help them out but through experience, I wait till either they ask me or someone points them over to me. If your groups look like crap when you're trying to shoot your light, unbraked magnum, it's not going to improve inside a led sled. It's more than likely going to get worse. Just something I've noticed through the years. Maybe others have some different insights on how to get a lead sled to work better than a good rest setup

I guess I want to keep it all in the subject of one piece rests. I have seen one piece rest designs that work but more so than not, I haven't seen where they out perform a good 2 piece setup which has shooter controlled movement vs a one piece designed to try and hold the rifle in some fashion with little shooter control

Haven't really used one but hear they wreck scopes. This lightweight magnum rifle phase needs to end. Plenty of ways to compromise on weight in your hunting load-out.

Lite weight (w/o brake) are good for hunten, but not so good for paper, steel or what ever non game.
When hunten they don't seem to kick at all.

Lite weight (w/o brake) are good for hunten, but not so good for paper, steel or what ever non game.
When hunten they don't seem to kick at all.
LOL, there's alot to be said in that statement. I sight in at the range on bags. Afterwards I'm hitting the LPK (liquid pain killer) usually Old Forester 1920 and a few ibuprofen. However, I don't feel it when I drop that elk or antelope. Funny how that works! Adrenaline is the best!!!

And I agree, about sleds being scope killers. Thank goodness for lifetime warranties!

Last edited:
I'm bringing this up because I see folks who believe these tight grip one piece rests are going to help them with load development or scope zeroing. Not so much to avoid the pain of recoil
Thanks for bringing this up, I've been curious about it myself. I can see the appeal to using the lead sleds as an easy way to eliminate rifle movement and know some who have used them with varying results. I've read online a lot of negative opinions about them though so would like to better understand why they are a poor choice. I use a bipod with rear bag myself but it's good to know the pros and cons of different setups.

I'm actually hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has had really good success with a lead sled or similar. I've never seen one work very well with any moderate recoiling rifle. I have witnessed more than once a shooter believing something's wrong with they're rifle because it wasn't shooting good in they're sled when it's the sled that's causing the problem

I'm actually hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has had really good success with a lead sled or similar. I've never seen one work very well with any moderate recoiling rifle. I have witnessed more than once a shooter believing something's wrong with they're rifle because it wasn't shooting good in they're sled when it's the sled that's causing the problem
Sounds very similar to what I've heard, people can't get their gun to shoot good and thinking it's definitely the gun because a sled should eliminate all other issues but I don't think that would be the case. Hopefully someone will have experience using them though and know if they have real benefits outside of felt recoil.