Nosler 64 grain

I did the 3 gun matches for years. RMR might not be the clover leaf shooter in a highly specialized bolt gun, but neither are my AR's with match grade 20 inch SS fluted barrels. I have shot 1500 rounds of 5.56 pressure in 3 days on several occasions and buy bullets by the 1000, 2000, and 5000 lots. I generally use 69 gr RMR. They are really hard hitting and can do some damage. 3000 fps using 2000 - MR
Nice! What 20" AR barrels do you find do a really good job for you? Thanks!

Eric

They should be a good game bullet. I haven't messed with the 64s yet but I sure have killed a bunch of critters with the 60gr Partition out of my 26" TC Encore rifle. Most of the deer I've taken with the Partition have been complete pass through and no/very little tracking after the shot. Reasonable distances and careful, broadside shot placement are a good thing with the 223 on larger game.

24.7gr TAC is my favorite, but 25.5gr of Varget works well too.
I just save my Varget for other cartridges.
Usually I use CCI-400's for the TAC load, but I have tried the CCI-450's and got the same accuracy but no issues with pressures.
My c.o.a.l. for this bullet is 2.265" which requires the ASC magazines for my AR's.
My Ruger American Ranch Rifle (Gen 1 with the horrible rotary mags) likes the load too but the rounds are too long for the mags so it's a single shot with them.

Ed

I don't use TAC or 335 for anything because it's such a dirty burning powder. It's also fast burning on the burn rate chart. It just turns my well oiled chrome and NiBoron bolts black and fills the upper with carbon. It's also the reason for why I installed two different kinds of piston kits on my high use guns.

My pet 69 grain loads 27.0 grains of 2000-MR Rem match primers 3040 AVG 2.240 oal.

next is Leverrevolution 26.2 rem match primers 3026 avg 2.240 oal. CFE 223 is nearly the same. I never use small rifle mag primers. It's like adding 1 - 1.5 grains of powder for how the primers flatten.

Western has reloading for 5.56 nato I dabbled in 2520 at 26.2

I really don't remember the names of the manufacturers of my 20 inch 9 and 8 twist. barrels My best are non threaded 11 degree target crowns, rifle length and + 2 inch using small .072 gas holes. Best bench rest using the Lead sled for sighting in was some dime size groups at 200 yards using a high BC 62 grain HPBT.

Generally I have Wylde chambers, but I do have match grade 5.56 in both SS fluted and some I requested non threaded end of the barrels. One of them might be this:

Last edited:
I will say that shorter barrels need faster powders. Larger diameter gas holes also bleed off lots of pressure and require adjustable gas blocks, heavy buffer weights, and springs as a Band Aid. It's really bad when the "Gun Experts" tell you to use big diameter holes. Most of them have NEVER tried rifle or rifle +2 inch and small holes with standard gas blocks with light weight buffer systems