My thoughts on solid copper bullets and in comparison to other bullet types.

Youll
Not gonna lie, I'm not comfortable slinging 85s out of a 6.5. I didn't buy a 6.5 to shoot 6mm bullet weights. There was a fella on here about a year ago that shot a mule deer with those 85s at 350 or 400 yards i cant remember exactly and if I remember correctly he had to shoot it multiple times. Just a good example of shooting outside the limits of that little bullet. Looses poop really fast. That's why I was considering the 110. Theres a balance between speed, and weight/energy. I dont subscribe to extremes. I like middle of the road, and balanced.

You'll do fine.
I've shot multiple deer to 350 with my 85s and all were 1 shot successes. (I am running considerably higher velocities though)

I'm not a big bore or long range shooter. My personal imposed max is 400 yds. My favorite caliber is 6.5 and I also shoot 243 and 30cal (this year).
I have learned that speed really kills. I think ol Roy had it right.
400 yards was my range limitation for my 30-06 running 180 gr Partitions. I had no issues hitting 17 oz water bottles at 450 yards with that combo. My old Win M70 Featherweight and a 2.5-8x VariXIII. That set up was for deer/ elk.

Youll

You'll do fine.
I've shot multiple deer to 350 with my 85s and all were 1 shot successes. (I am running considerably higher velocities though)
Eh just the same if im going to try Hammers then I want a bullet weight I'm comfortable with. 110 is still light in my book but I understand monos aren't the same as cup and core

400 yards was my range limitation for my 30-06 running 180 gr Partitions. I had no issues hitting 17 oz water bottles at 450 yards with that combo. My old Win M70 Featherweight and a 2.5-8x VariXIII. That set up was for deer/ elk.

X..... I call my shots even hunting, just an old habit. Still hearing my coach.. call....

Not gonna lie, I'm not comfortable slinging 85s out of a 6.5. I didn't buy a 6.5 to shoot 6mm bullet weights. There was a fella on here about a year ago that shot a mule deer with those 85s at 350 or 400 yards i cant remember exactly and if I remember correctly he had to shoot it multiple times. Just a good example of shooting outside the limits of that little bullet. Looses poop really fast. That's why I was considering the 110. Theres a balance between speed, and weight/energy. I dont subscribe to extremes. I like middle of the road, and balanced.
This is why we offer multiple weights. We had a range day yesterday to get some new rifles load developed for our upcoming trip to Africa in Sept. Two of these are 6.5's. The 6.5 Creed is a 20" barrel with Gunwerks 6ix suppresor. We are running it at 3540 fps with Varget and the 85g Hammer Hunter. The other is a 6.5x284 running the 110g Hammer Hunter. 22" barrel with Gunwerks 6ix suppressor running at 3340 fps with hybrid 100v.

I get the feeling of too light a bullet just like everyone else. It is engrained in us. I used the 110g in Africa last April with very good success. Brian ran the 124g Hammer Hunter also with very good results. I want to run the 85g Hammer Hunter and see how it goes. We will shoot notoriously tough animals and see how it goes. My brain says it will be fine, but then I waffle because it feels too light.

Assuming we can get half a dozen animals with good success, I then plan to carry the Creed hunting this fall for deer and elk. I'll report good, bad, and ugly.

I remember that thread - I believe it was actually a Coues deer and I was surprised by the result. I understand the light and fast mentality, but for me, I'm not sure I'm quite there yet - there's a good amount of bullet weight options offered by Hammer which is nice. That being said, I've got some 260 gr HH loaded for my 338 RUM and 88 gr HH for my 6 CM. Hoping to hit the range tomorrow to try them out.

This is why we offer multiple weights. We had a range day yesterday to get some new rifles load developed for our upcoming trip to Africa in Sept. Two of these are 6.5's. The 6.5 Creed is a 20" barrel with Gunwerks 6ix suppresor. We are running it at 3540 fps with Varget and the 85g Hammer Hunter. The other is a 6.5x284 running the 110g Hammer Hunter. 22" barrel with Gunwerks 6ix suppressor running at 3340 fps with hybrid 100v.

I get the feeling of too light a bullet just like everyone else. It is engrained in us. I used the 110g in Africa last April with very good success. Brian ran the 124g Hammer Hunter also with very good results. I want to run the 85g Hammer Hunter and see how it goes. We will shoot notoriously tough animals and see how it goes. My brain says it will be fine, but then I waffle because it feels too light.

Assuming we can get half a dozen animals with good success, I then plan to carry the Creed hunting this fall for deer and elk. I'll report good, bad, and ugly.
I have tuned my arsenal to provide the same ballistics in many different calibers out to about 500 yds which is the range I limit my shots to. My launch velocities are right around 3130 FPS whether out of a 300 WSM 284 win or 280 AI. So I've tried to select hammer bullets weights and designs that I can duplicate these results and ballistics. There are so many Hammer choices in every caliber that it is easy to do.

I remember that thread - I believe it was actually a Coues deer and I was surprised by the result. I understand the light and fast mentality, but for me, I'm not sure I'm quite there yet - there's a good amount of bullet weight options offered by Hammer which is nice. That being said, I've got some 260 gr HH loaded for my 338 RUM and 88 gr HH for my 6 CM. Hoping to hit the range tomorrow to try them out.
Yeah I don't remember exactly what the animal was. All I remember was the performance was definitely lacking. Trying to do too much with too light of a bullet.

Yeah I don't remember exactly what the animal was. All I remember was the performance was definitely lacking. Trying to do too much with too light of a bullet.
I don't think I saw the discussion. I assume his shot placement and impact velocities were good?

We'll see how this trip to Africa goes. If there is time maybe I'll try to get set up for 400 ish yards for a management Impala with the 85g Hammer Hunter from the Creed. With my starting velocity this will put impact vel about 2600 fps. Should be more than enough for most any game.

I don't think I saw the discussion. I assume his shot placement and impact velocities were good?

We'll see how this trip to Africa goes. If there is time maybe I'll try to get set up for 400 ish yards for a management Impala with the 85g Hammer Hunter from the Creed. With my starting velocity this will put impact vel about 2600 fps. Should be more than enough for most any game.
I remember the animal was recovered and shots were good. It was atleast a year ago maybe 2 so I doubt I could find the thread now.

This was the thread in question, in case you hadn't seen it.

This was the thread in question, in case you hadn't seen it.

Thanks. That one is hard to figure.

Eh just the same if im going to try Hammers then I want a bullet weight I'm comfortable with. 110 is still light in my book but I understand monos aren't the same as cup and core
Steve and I have always differed on bullet weight and speed, I am and always will be heavier bullet at moderate speed shooter, I've done the light fast before and its either awesome or it's not, I want consistent every single time especially since it's mostly elk. If I have to rebarrel to get me in to the heavier bullets I'm all for that and I find it worth it to shoot both a heavy for cal cup and core and a moderate weight mono, like in my 28 Nosler pairing the 177HH and 195 Berger was unreal for being lethal from zero out into the mile range, absolutely awesome for elk!!

Steve and I have always differed on bullet weight and speed, I am and always will be heavier bullet at moderate speed shooter, I've done the light fast before and its either awesome or it's not, I want consistent every single time especially since it's mostly elk. If I have to rebarrel to get me in to the heavier bullets I'm all for that and I find it worth it to shoot both a heavy for cal cup and core and a moderate weight mono, like in my 28 Nosler pairing the 177HH and 195 Berger was unreal for being lethal from zero out into the mile range, absolutely awesome for elk!!
Here in NH we only hunt whitetails and blackies. Our moose are being killed off by ticks so they only give out about 50 permits for the whole state so I don't bother applying. So I usually load heavy for caliber eld-m at 2800-3000 fps and that has been very successful for me. I'm just looking to get into a little flatter trajectory for my woods rifle because around here you don't get alot of time to range and shoot if the opportunity arises

Recent Posts