My 338 Sherman Shortmag

That's what I started fire forming with as well worked good. I was right in that ball park for speed too.
Im just Gona tweak mine now was close but having some variance but 61.7 of Varget is where I'm at. 58 was real good but not enough speed. Mine did not like seating depths till I hit 50 off but My 6.5 Sherman was same way to right at the 45 off shot like a laser.
Once I get these 250 dialed in then I'm gona try the 230 eldx.

Hey guys I am officially part of the 338 SS club. Just got my rifle back from TS Customs. Fit and finish are awesome. I am probably not going to be able to shoot until later in the week and could use some recommendations.
1. I need to pick out a scope. I'm leaning toward the NF SHV or NXS 2-10x42 range up to leupold 6hd 2-12 or 3-18 because of size and weight. I don't anticipate this will be more than a 600 yard elk hunting rifle.
2. Starting loads. I have Varget and RL 17 picked out with 250 berger EH. COAL wasn't what I expected. Seated off the lands about 15 thou I am at 2.925 without any extra throating. Maybe I misunderstood I would be looking at about 2.97. Either way any recommendations about starting loads for fire forming and barrel break in would be appreciated. I read through the thread a few times and gathered I need to start out about 20% less for fire forming.View attachment 135520
Rifle:
LPA Fuzion Ti SA, Proof Sendero 24in, Hawkins Ti 3port break, Hawkins 30mm low Rings, Hawkins floor plate, Manners T-EH, Trigger Tech primary, Tungsten Cerakote.
Put a vortex Viper HS 2-10x44 on until I figure something else out.

Very nice! TS Customs looks like a great outfit!
Cant wait to hear how it works out! I am currently putting together a similar build with a Borden ti Mid-length in Rich's 338Max. I'm going the full 24" proof barrel and bansners sheep stock. My goal is 6#'s bare. Should keep my dentist in business!!! I hope to achieve 2900 with the 250 berger. Keep it coming...
Rich if you are reading what is the latest on MAX headstamped brass? Any new performance updates on it?

Very nice! TS Customs looks like a great outfit!
Cant wait to hear how it works out! I am currently putting together a similar build with a Borden ti Mid-length in Rich's 338Max. I'm going the full 24" proof barrel and bansners sheep stock. My goal is 6#'s bare. Should keep my dentist in business!!! I hope to achieve 2900 with the 250 berger. Keep it coming...
Rich if you are reading what is the latest on MAX headstamped brass? Any new performance updates on it?
The only data I have is on the 7 Max. It is performing as expected with excellent velocity. The brass is also holding up very well. I would expect very similar results with the 300 and 338 versions

Does the 338 max use a long action? I am trying to decide which to build. 338 as or the max. I have narrowed it down to those 2....and please say build both.

Does the 338 max use a long action? I am trying to decide which to build. 338 as or the max. I have narrowed it down to those 2....and please say build both.

BUILD BOTH
but in case you cant; The Max needs 3.1" coal for best performance. You can do it a few different ways:
Best possible would be a medium Defiance
Tikka magnum bolt
Most any magnum long action
700 SA magnum with a Bainey box at 3.11"

I was planning on using a Rem700 action. I am just making sure I order the right one. I guess I'm safe either way.
How much difference is there between the two?

I was planning on using a Rem700 action. I am just making sure I order the right one. I guess I'm safe either way.
How much difference is there between the two?
Even if you build the SS, it benefits from more throating so since you are starting from scratch, I would get somthing that would accomodate 3.1"+

Go long action I did that way I can throat out long or go to another cartridge like the 30SM
The diff in weight on my action from short to long was 2oz so it was a easy decision go long shoot anything.

This will be a hunting rifle and my first build. I am not to concerned with weight, Just something different from the normal ho hum. I was going to go with the 338wm, but after reading your post and checking your website, decided to go with one of yours. I really like how you engineered all the performance possible without going to the extreme. Beginning to look like 6.5SS will be next.......see what you started!

and btw.....that's not a complaint

This will be a hunting rifle and my first build. I am not to concerned with weight, Just something different from the normal ho hum. I was going to go with the 338wm, but after reading your post and checking your website, decided to go with one of yours. I really like how you engineered all the performance possible without going to the extreme. Beginning to look like 6.5SS will be next.......see what you started!

and btw.....that's not a complaint
Im very glad that you see the positives with the Sherman shorts. I think with the 338 versions, feeding is not as big an issue with far less shoulder area. A competent gunsmith could set up a SA with a Bainey box to work just fine and give you enough length. That said, a lot ng action will also work well and give you more options later.
My 7 Max is built a n a LA 700 and works perfectly with a Kwik klip DBM from Cabelas.

20190713_165434~2.jpg
20190713_165503~4.jpg