My 338 Sherman Shortmag

Hey guys I am officially part of the 338 SS club. Just got my rifle back from TS Customs. Fit and finish are awesome. I am probably not going to be able to shoot until later in the week and could use some recommendations.
1. I need to pick out a scope. I'm leaning toward the NF SHV or NXS 2-10x42 range up to leupold 6hd 2-12 or 3-18 because of size and weight. I don't anticipate this will be more than a 600 yard elk hunting rifle.
2. Starting loads. I have Varget and RL 17 picked out with 250 berger EH. COAL wasn't what I expected. Seated off the lands about 15 thou I am at 2.925 without any extra throating. Maybe I misunderstood I would be looking at about 2.97. Either way any recommendations about starting loads for fire forming and barrel break in would be appreciated. I read through the thread a few times and gathered I need to start out about 20% less for fire forming.View attachment 135520
Rifle:
LPA Fuzion Ti SA, Proof Sendero 24in, Hawkins Ti 3port break, Hawkins 30mm low Rings, Hawkins floor plate, Manners T-EH, Trigger Tech primary, Tungsten Cerakote.
Put a vortex Viper HS 2-10x44 on until I figure something else out.

That is a very well thought out rifle, I dig it!!!

That is a very well thought out rifle, I dig it!!!
Thanks! Your review of the SHV 2-10 kind of inspired it. I'm leaning toward that scope of something similar. Just can't make up my mind. I like Elk hunting small pockets in the timber and also having something I can reach out a little in the open areas when I'm working around the mountain.

Ya, I'd put that or a capped NXS on in that power, keep it rugged and nimble with some dialing capability when those elk feed out on a south slope! It's very much like Rich's 270 SS only more snort!! That's a rifle that makes you want to go hunt for those hidden bulls!!

Hey guys I am officially part of the 338 SS club. Just got my rifle back from TS Customs. Fit and finish are awesome. I am probably not going to be able to shoot until later in the week and could use some recommendations.
2. Starting loads. I have Varget and RL 17 picked out with 250 berger EH. COAL wasn't what I expected. Seated off the lands about 15 thou I am at 2.925 without any extra throating. Maybe I misunderstood I would be looking at about 2.97. Either way any recommendations about starting loads for fire forming and barrel break in would be appreciated. I read through the thread a few times and gathered I need to start out about 20% less for fire forming.

I also have the standard throat and I'm at 2.90 COAL give or take, .020 off with the 250 hybrid OTM. I wrongly assumed how far off I was until I actually measured it. I'm curious about your results when you start loading hotter. I assume you will be using Rich's ADG brass?

You know, I could be the problem on the coal. When I sent the dummy round in, I thought it was coming in at 2.970 but I have not chambered one for myself so don't have an ACTUAL measurement.
It sounds like you may be correct on the coal based on others now chiming in
Thanks!

I also have the standard throat and I'm at 2.90 COAL give or take, .020 off with the 250 hybrid OTM. I wrongly assumed how far off I was until I actually measured it. I'm curious about your results when you start loading hotter. I assume you will be using Rich's ADG brass?
I am using the adg brass. I bought 25 of the 7SS and plan to use those until the 338SS I pre ordered to come in. I'll post results after i start getting the barrel broken in.

Last edited:
1. I need to pick out a scope. I'm leaning toward the NF SHV or NXS 2-10x42 range up to leupold 6hd 2-12 or 3-18 because of size and weight. I don't anticipate this will be more than a 600 yard elk hunting rifle.
2. Starting loads. I have Varget and RL 17 picked out with 250 berger EH. COAL wasn't what I expected. Seated off the lands about 15 thou I am at 2.925 without any extra throating. Maybe I misunderstood I would be looking at about 2.97. Either way any recommendations about starting loads for fire forming and barrel break in would be appreciated. I read through the thread a few times and gathered I need to start out about 20% less for fire forming.View attachment 135520
Rifle:
LPA Fuzion Ti SA, Proof Sendero 24in, Hawkins Ti 3port break, Hawkins 30mm low Rings, Hawkins floor plate, Manners T-EH, Trigger Tech primary, Tungsten Cerakote.

That is a very nice setup!

How much does it weigh?

Interested to hear how it shoots with that build and the Hawkins brake. I have a similar build that parts have just started arriving for and quite curious to hear your thoughts on how it handles. I've ordered everything but the brake.

Personally I just picked up an NXS 2.5-10 for it. Finally found a used one, that had everything I wanted but the capped turrets.

That is a very nice setup!

How much does it weigh?

Interested to hear how it shoots with that build and the Hawkins brake. I have a similar build that parts have just started arriving for and quite curious to hear your thoughts on how it handles. I've ordered everything but the brake.

Personally I just picked up an NXS 2.5-10 for it. Finally found a used one, that had everything I wanted but the capped turrets.
Thanks I'm pretty anxious to get out and shoot soon. I saw the nxs you picked up on another forum, looks like a nice set up. This rifle weighs 6.8 lb without the scope and rings. It'll be a little over 8 with the nxs 2.5-10 scope once I get it. Feels really well balanced with the vortex I have on it temporarily. This is my first Manners T stock, Fuzion Ti action and Proof barrel. I'm extremely satisfied with the workmanship Travis did and can't wait to get out and shoot. I'll post results after I get it going.

After seeing a pile of results from different shooters I'm thinking of trying another bullet. I'm thinking of 230 and 270 ELDX. Do you guys think that 2725 with 270 or 2850 with 230. I'm currently running 2815 with 250 Berger.

After seeing a pile of results from different shooters I'm thinking of trying another bullet. I'm thinking of 230 and 270 ELDX. Do you guys think that 2725 with 270 or 2850 with 230. I'm currently running 2815 with 250 Berger.
I'm interested in the results of you try them.

I am running 230 ELD-X in my long action Sherman. The accuracy node from a 26" barrel shows up around 2860 with RL-17, well below max. In Norma brass, this is the load I prefer to run for brass life reasons. I will be taking this load elk hunting this fall.

With the availability of superior ADG brass in the Sherman Short, I would expect you to be able to run the 230 ELD-X well north of 2900.

Rifle:

Finally got out to shoot over the past few days. Barrel brake in and fire forming 25 cases of the ADG brass. Averaged 2650 fps with 55 gr Varget and Berger 250 EH standard throat .020 off the lands. This is actually a 23 in barrel finished plus the break. Planning to work up slowly with the Varget and play with the seating depth. Accuracy is really good, didn't take much to dial it in!