My 338 Sherman Shortmag

So I was able to get out before weather turned ugly still no pressure at 61.5 now I'll go up in small increments .2 as I'm sure I have to be close.
I did run my 60 gr load again and it's repeatable very good load, and with so slight tweaking should be real good.
I was a little disappointed with Speed in my 60 gr load with an ave of 2770 SD 8 ES 19 BUT what's 50-75 ft if accuracy is outstanding. I'm hoping that I can run a bit more powder and see something decent at a higher velocity. Out of all the loads 58 & 60 are the only ones showing promise the rest all look the same.

Well got out again to gather more data.
My load verified a couple times is
250EH
61.7gr Varget 50 tho off lands.
Speed is 2816ft/sec I ran this over chrono this morn 3 shots 2815,2816,2815. I got carried away and shot up some of my chrono loads.
Last night this printed 1" group @200yards
This morn it printed almost identical group just@ .75" @200 yards.
I'll run this out to 1000 next week

0F2CC1DF-6181-4C4D-BA04-08B4B5E302FC.jpeg Last night
AA66AA63-25CE-49BF-994A-CFBEC1880E83.jpeg This morn
10degC diff in temp as well.
I think this will be the ticket!!

I have to laugh I went through my old target pics for 6.5 Sherman almost identical grouping and I ran it just short of pressure like this one with more powder than most with slightly less velocity than most. This was almost identical work up to the 65.

I have to laugh I went through my old target pics for 6.5 Sherman almost identical grouping and I ran it just short of pressure like this one with more powder than most with slightly less velocity than most. This was almost identical work up to the 65.
Must be the air north of the border:D

Has anyone tried the 265 Barnes LRX I ran them through AB and they look really good. I'm not looking for speed but another viable source of bullets that don't cost $100 per box of 50.

Has anyone tried the 265 Barnes LRX I ran them through AB and they look really good. I'm not looking for speed but another viable source of bullets that don't cost $100 per box of 50.

I have a box of 250 lrx but haven't tried them. I think they will be too long with my standard throat. I do have 225 ttsx as well that I think will be better, for me anyway

Hey guys I am officially part of the 338 SS club. Just got my rifle back from TS Customs. Fit and finish are awesome. I am probably not going to be able to shoot until later in the week and could use some recommendations.
1. I need to pick out a scope. I'm leaning toward the NF SHV or NXS 2-10x42 range up to leupold 6hd 2-12 or 3-18 because of size and weight. I don't anticipate this will be more than a 600 yard elk hunting rifle.
2. Starting loads. I have Varget and RL 17 picked out with 250 berger EH. COAL wasn't what I expected. Seated off the lands about 15 thou I am at 2.925 without any extra throating. Maybe I misunderstood I would be looking at about 2.97. Either way any recommendations about starting loads for fire forming and barrel break in would be appreciated. I read through the thread a few times and gathered I need to start out about 20% less for fire forming.
fullsizeoutput_1eac.jpeg

Rifle:
LPA Fuzion Ti SA, Proof Sendero 24in, Hawkins Ti 3port break, Hawkins 30mm low Rings, Hawkins floor plate, Manners T-EH, Trigger Tech primary, Tungsten Cerakote.
Put a vortex Viper HS 2-10x44 on until I figure something else out.

Hey guys I am officially part of the 338 SS club. Just got my rifle back from TS Customs. Fit and finish are awesome. I am probably not going to be able to shoot until later in the week and could use some recommendations.
1. I need to pick out a scope. I'm leaning toward the NF SHV or NXS 2-10x42 range up to leupold 6hd 2-12 or 3-18 because of size and weight. I don't anticipate this will be more than a 600 yard elk hunting rifle.
2. Starting loads. I have Varget and RL 17 picked out with 250 berger EH. COAL wasn't what I expected. Seated off the lands about 15 thou I am at 2.925 without any extra throating. Maybe I misunderstood I would be looking at about 2.97. Either way any recommendations about starting loads for fire forming and barrel break in would be appreciated. I read through the thread a few times and gathered I need to start out about 20% less for fire forming.View attachment 135520
Rifle:
LPA Fuzion Ti SA, Proof Sendero 24in, Hawkins Ti 3port break, Hawkins 30mm low Rings, Hawkins floor plate, Manners T-EH, Trigger Tech primary, Tungsten Cerakote.
Put a vortex Viper HS 2-10x44 on until I figure something else out.
Congrats on a sweet looking rifle.
The coal should be very close to 2.970"?
I would load about 10% under max and jam the bullet for the first firing maybe 55 grains of RL17.