MOA vs MIL

That's nice if you aren't under time stress and can adjust the wind speed and direction in a range finder. I definitely dont count on that for hunting or under any situation with time stress.
The newer Sig kilo has external wind adjustment to make things faster. Was a fantastic upgrade

I just ordered my first MOA scope after shooting Mils the last 3 years. It's a scope I've been wanting, and they don't make it in Mil. All my hunting partners shoot MOA and I don't have any trouble thinking in MOA and inches. So I'm sure it'll be an easy switch back. It has a 25 MOA turret, which gets me out to 1100 yards on the first revolution which will cover all my hunting scenarios.

All my other scopes are staying Mil for the time being. Just wanting to test this scope out. Shouldn't be an issue
What did you get?

Anybody remember MOA come ups with Mil dot reticles? 😳
Yep I still have the chart card and conversion in my old data book. What a PITA $h!¥ show that was. Talk about being illogically stuborn. Something so simple to fix.

A few points comparing mils vs moa. Mils are easier to dial and translate as its 1 of 10 which are each a whole number in cm. But beyond that this is hunting, not BR, or other fixed distance, where there is setup time etc perfect rifle setup on a bench or flat cleared ground. It's hunting that small difference at 1k is next to meaningless in hunting. The closet competition to hunting is PRS in terms of varying distances and they are using what is most efficient to quickly get on target and they are using mils 99%

The only real reason moa is used in the USA is we are habituated to the empiral system from a child from school parents gov society. Compared to metric system it's convoluted and inefficient. We just were not brought up to see and think in 'mm cm m km'

In the end either works so it comes downnto what you want or are comfortable with.

Last edited:
I don't know about you, but when I hear "clicks", I think about moving/walking mucho distancios... 🤣

Last edited:
The new 5-25X50 trijicon tenmile FFP MOA
I am surprised they did a ffp and did not include mils especially 5-25. It would work well for prs. I get it for SFP. I could see getting that instead of 4-18x44 for my 6.5 build.
7x more mag, 6mm more obj at the cost of around 1 oz in weight is a good trade. I would want mil. Maybe they will add it.

I am surprised they did a ffp and did not include mils especially 5-25. It would work well for prs. I get it for SFP. I could see getting that instead of 4-18x44 for my 6.5 build.
7x more mag, 6mm more obj at the cost of around 1 oz in weight is a good trade. I would want mil. Maybe they will add it.
I called because I would have preferred Mil, but I'm the same exact platform. I wanted to see if they had an ETA on one.

All the guy could tell me was that they'd had multiple inquiries about it, but he wasn't in direct contact with future manufacturing to give me any info about a potential mil model

IMG_5335.jpeg

Getting it bedded up right now

The only real reason moa is used in the USA is we are habituated to the empiral system from a child from school parents gov society. Compared to metric system it's convoluted and inefficient. We just were not brought up to see and think in 'mm cm m km'

That's a major problem in that people think MOA and Mils are connected to imperial or metric. People saying "I use MOA because I think in inches" is one of the funniest things around as both MOA and Mila are angular. Both can be converted to either linear but don't need to be. You use your ballistic program and get your data in moa or mils. If you need a correction then you use your reticle like a ruler and it tells you how many mils or moa. No inches or cm anywhere. Only place is range to target where a linear comes in or if you are ranging with the reticle, which is a dying if not dead art.

That's a major problem in that people think MOA and Mils are connected to imperial or metric. People saying "I use MOA because I think in inches" is one of the funniest things around as both MOA and Mila are angular. Both can be converted to either linear but don't need to be. You use your ballistic program and get your data in moa or mils. If you need a correction then you use your reticle like a ruler and it tells you how many mils or moa. No inches or cm anywhere. Only place is range to target where a linear comes in or if you are ranging with the reticle, which is a dying if not dead art.
Yeah that's why I only shoot FFP and I only measure things with the reticle and think in terms of either MOA or MIL. When measuring or making corrections. I never try to relate it to inches with either one

Anybody remember MOA come ups with Mil dot reticles? 😳
There is apps that will do the conversion of moa to mils.
Just type in moa to mils on the net and pick one. Helped me immensely. HTH
Edit: westernwhitetail.com. Just remember to move the decimal point to get clicks numbers.

Last edited: