Lower velocity 375 bullet recommendation

The 38-55 and 375 Winchester are great black bear and moose cartridges. They are most effective with relatively soft cast or cup and core 240 to 265 grain bullets. They are travelling slightly slower than your 375/08, depending on bullet weight. At lower velocity you want something that will open up properly. A 22 RF will penetrate a bears skull, so the 375/08 will do it easily. Even in my 375 Ruger I like the Hornady 270 grain Interlocks every bit as good as the TSX. For bear I actually prefer the Hornady.
I tried getting the 270 gr Hornady to shoot but couldn't. I'll play with seating depth some and see if I can tune it. The 270 speer has shot phenomenally (left target), but the Hornady didn't do so good (right). 100 yards, 5 shots, round robin style

Attachments

• IMG_6713.jpeg
    IMG_6713.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6714.jpeg
    IMG_6714.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I tried getting the 270 gr Hornady to shoot but couldn't. I'll play with seating depth some and see if I can tune it. The 270 speed has shot phenomenal, but the Hornady didn't do so good. 100 yards, 5 shots, round robin style
It happens. Personally I have never had any rifle that didn't like Hornady Interlocks. Have killed a pile of game over the past 55 years with Interlocks in all manner of calibers. That said, I have heard others say they couldn't get them to shoot in a particular rifle. There should be a few similarly constructed options to try. The biggest trick is to NOT get too hard a bullet for the speeds you are running.

It happens. Personally I have never had any rifle that didn't like Hornady Interlocks. Have killed a pile of game over the past 55 years with Interlocks in all manner of calibers. That said, I have heard others say they couldn't get them to shoot in a particular rifle. There should be a few similarly constructed options to try. The biggest trick is to NOT get too hard a bullet for the speeds you are running.
I was avoiding copper for that reason alone.

I'll play with seating depth on the Hornady and see if that tightens things up, as they do seem like they'd be ideal from a construction standpoint. Although if I ever found some 260 partitions I'd be all over those…

250g Sierra GK is a soft bullet option too, in the Taylor, they expanded easiest, but still will say the 235g Woodleigh is exceptional at low velocity. We used them in many different small 375 wildcats, 06 based, WSM based and 6.5RM case. Heavier bullets tend to be significantly tougher.

Cheers.
P.S.
Hornady 270g is designed for 375H&H velocities…

250g Sierra GK is a soft bullet option too, in the Taylor, they expanded easiest, but still will say the 235g Woodleigh is exceptional at low velocity. We used them in many different small 375 wildcats, 06 based, WSM based and 6.5RM case. Heavier bullets tend to be significantly tougher.

Cheers.
P.S.
Hornady 270g is designed for 375H&H velocities…
According to Hornady, the 270 is supposed to reliably expand down to 2000 fps. The goal of the rifle was a close range thumper, but that still only allows for 150 yards and in for proper impact velocity…

Do you have a place you buy Woodleigh from? I'm having a tough time finding anything online for those. And are you talking the 235gr round nose?

According to Hornady, the 270 is supposed to reliably expand down to 2000 fps. The goal of the rifle was a close range thumper, but that still only allows for 150 yards and in for proper impact velocity…

Do you have a place you buy Woodleigh from? I'm having a tough time finding anything online for those. And are you talking the 235gr round nose?
I buy direct from Woodleigh, but they are local to me and I have Geoff's number. Yes it is a round nose designated as a semi spitzer, we use them on Sambar deer here, which run 600+lbs.
It may be a while before Woodleigh hit the shelves, they lost their production facility to a fire, but are back making bullets.

Cheers.

I buy direct from Woodleigh, but they are local to me and I have Geoff's number. Yes it is a round nose designated as a semi spitzer, we use them on Sambar deer here, which run 600+lbs.
It may be a while before Woodleigh hit the shelves, they lost their production facility to a fire, but are back making bullets.

Cheers.
Understood. I'll keep an eye out for them on Midway and see if they come back eventually. I might try out the Swift A frame 250's in the interim.

Recent Posts