7prc bullet recommendation

I picked up a load that shoots pretty decent.

Case length 2.268
Primer CCI 250
Berger VLD 168
RE 26 66.3 grains
Coal 3.324
Peterson brass

Peterson brass is heavier than Hornady so there is latitude with powder drop, depending on your brass. I was initially at 66.8 grains of Reloader 26. I cut it back a half a grain due to the weight in the brass difference that I noticed and found magic.

You understand that 168 is greater than 162 right? That's not under 162. Aby long range groups? That's where the higher BC bullets that the 7mm prc designed to shoot shine.

Here is the 180 eldm at 100. That's a 180 eldm covering the 4 shots.

Attachments

• IMG_4742.jpeg
    IMG_4742.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4741.jpeg
    IMG_4741.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 51
To the original poster.

The Prc was designed to shoot long high bc bullets. It solved two issues for me. My 7mm mag had a 9.5 twist and the 3.47 mag would not let me load the heavies without eating powder space.

The 162 and below work fine in a 9.5 twist and short mag. If someone wants to only shoot those, i would shoot the 7mm mag. Way more factory options for brass and factory loaded ammo. the performance is identical.

Good luck. I'm running the 175s elite hunter and the 180 eldm. 210 primer, peterson brass. i have loads with h4831sc, h1000 and retumbo.

The copper bullets mentioned get iffy at 800 yards. I wouldn't take a shot where impact would be under 2000 fps. there is a reason bc was not mentioned with the hammers. I

162 eldm going at 3200 fps is a disaster at 300 yards or in. That bullet needs an impact velocity 2900 to 2800 fps or slower or risk expanding too quickly.

I'd be curious to know if you have personal experience with the 162 ELD-M under 300yds.

I'd be curious to know if you have personal experience with the 162 ELD-M under 300yds.

Here is the 147 at high speed. This is the entrance. I could be wrong, but i think you want more penetration before expanding.

Look at nosler, they have pictures of recovered bullets at speeds of 3300 fps. All hornady pictures are at speeds of 2600 fps and lower for the eldx. The eldx is a designed long range bullet that will kill at short range. Why do you think they added the locking ring? The eldm is better in 2800 of below range. Thinner jacket and no locking ring.

Attachments

• IMG_9374.png
    IMG_9374.png
    527.1 KB · Views: 47
I picked up a load that shoots pretty decent.

Case length 2.268
Primer CCI 250
Berger VLD 168
RE 26 66.3 grains
Coal 3.324
Peterson brass

Peterson brass is heavier than Hornady so there is latitude with powder drop, depending on your brass. I was initially at 66.8 grains of Reloader 26. I cut it back a half a grain due to the weight in the brass difference that I noticed and found magic.
Curious what your velocities were with that load? Thank you!

Here is the 147 at high speed. This is the entrance. I could be wrong, but i think you want more penetration before expanding.

Look at nosler, they have pictures of recovered bullets at speeds of 3300 fps. All hornady pictures are at speeds of 2600 fps and lower for the eldx. The eldx is a designed long range bullet that will kill at short range. Why do you think they added the locking ring? The eldm is better in 2800 of below range. Thinner jacket and no locking ring.

Thanks for the feedback.

Most I have seen don't make 3000fps. That's a lack IMO. For that reason I don't like the cartridge for 180s.

Most I have seen don't make 3000fps. That's a lack IMO. For that reason I don't like the cartridge for 180s.

I have a 26" Bart-Carb bbl on my 7PRC. I had no problem exceeding 3,000fps with the 180 Berger with no indication of pressure. I've been fooling around with the 162 Hornady and get 3,200fps with 7828 but I do get a noticeable "click" at the top of the bolt stroke. Other than that, the brass and primer look fine, extraction is normal.

FWIW - I started out with the 7mms many years ago and thought my 7mmWBY was the bee's knees at the time. But, as soon as the 7STW became known I had to have one. I had a custom rifle built that was unbelievably accurate using the 8mm mag brass (only thing avail at the time. I dropped a truck load of whitetails with that rifle but came to realize that even at distance, the STW was more than I needed. I build a 7WSM and was very happy with its performance. So happy that after the barrel was toast, I built another one.

Today, I'm still very content with 7WSM performance but the lack of quality brass became an issue for me. The 7WSM was abandoned and my new 7PRC provides the same ballistic performance as the WSM. For my hunting, I can't imagine a need for any more.

If I were to build a 7mm right now it would be an improved prc or the wsm based mega as I like maximized cases. A straight PRC is certainly close enough. One of the first hunting bullets I would try to see if my barrel liked once it was vel stable would be the 168gr Copper Rose with it's G1 0.750 / G7 0.384 / 8 twist. From the reports I have seen it will perf well from 0 to whatever the distance is at 1900-2k fps.

For ringing steel whatever lower cost cup-n-core bullet that will shoot well, to the furthest distances you choose to shoot to. Bergers matchburners eld rdf whatever.

You simply can not ignore that kind of BC with the terminal perf reports and pics I have been seeing with the copper rose. At least I can't and ordered some 250CR 338s. Maybe they won't shoot in my barrel? IMO it warrants the cost of pack to see how they do. Only the 190/195gr Berger/Atips bullets are able to match them and it takes 12-17 more gr of weight. The only others to match these kinds of numbers were the discontinued Super Bulldozer 2 with the owners passing.

You understand that 168 is greater than 162 right? That's not under 162. Aby long range groups? That's where the higher BC bullets that the 7mm prc designed to shoot shine.

I developed that load in between surgeries on my collarbone. I was also working up a 180 grain bullet load as well but everything got put on hold for a surgeon. Right now I'm just hoping to be able to shoot straight enough to fill my tags in Kansas this year the outfitters paid and I've drawn tags. I'm sure 168 grain bullet will do the job on Whitetail

What is your load for the 180? I was using 65.9 grains of reloder 26 with the before mentioned specs on the 168 grain. I was close, but I didn't find magic yet. but that Brux barrel really liked Reloader 26 and burger bullets.