7prc bullet recommendation

why would you recommend 162 or less in a for a cartridge designed for high bc heavy bullets. an 8twist is standard and short case allows the long bullets to fit in a regular mag without an extender.

what's the benefit of small bullets for this cartridge?
Hunting Bullet Ballistic Coefficients: 162 ELD-X 630, 175 ELD-X=.689 & 175 EH=.656. Where the All Copper Hornady Bullets are: 150 CX=.455, 160 CX=.596. All Copper is the way to go these days. Let's be realistic, you no longer have to risk consuming Lead with today's Bullet offerings.

Copper Bullets are considerably longer than comparable Lead projectiles. Copper Bullets require a different mentality as you must use the Bullet for the proper distance you plan on taking game for the best performance without exiting the target. This is where lighter bullets come in and can be to your advantage to get them to mushroom. The Hammer 172 Grain Bullets are the top of the heap and bring along a hefty OAL of 1.62". Whereas the 155 Grain Absolute Hammer @ 1.5" OAL may be the maximum-weight bullet you can fire without getting into the powder column, or even the 143 & it's OAL of 1.4 inches. HAMMER Bullets offers a plethora of 7mm Bullets in all Copper and more than any other manufacturer.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Getting ready to put a load together for my new 7prc. What grain / brand bullets are you running? I've been looking at the 180 ELD-M. I'll be using it for hunting deer/elk/bear as well as long rang paper.
For hunting deer, elk and bear a 160gr Hornady CX, or a 160gr Accubond. For long range paper 168 Berger or a 180 whatever brand/model shoots best. Haven't felt much for the 195 EOL but if your paper is WAY beyond a thousand yards, maybe worth trying.

The copper bullets mentioned get iffy at 800 yards. I wouldn't take a shot where impact would be under 2000 fps. there is a reason bc was not mentioned with the hammers. I

162 eldm going at 3200 fps is a disaster at 300 yards or in. That bullet needs an impact velocity 2900 to 2800 fps or slower or risk expanding too quickly.

The copper bullets mentioned get iffy at 800 yards. I wouldn't take a shot where impact would be under 2000 fps. there is a reason bc was not mentioned with the hammers. I

162 eldm going at 3200 fps is a disaster at 300 yards or in. That bullet needs an impact velocity 2900 to 2800 fps or slower or risk expanding too quickly.
Need to slide em between the ribs up close?😆

I've shot enough 1000 yard benchrest to assure that I won't hazard a 800 yard shot at big game that can move in the field. 600 yard max for me. The bullets I mentioned will expand and penetrate. Also wouldn't shoot Eldm's at big game but plenty do. I read that a number of people have the 180 eldm fail to reach the target in fast twist barrels, thin jackets that go poof I'm told. The eldx leaves a big hole in game under 200 yards but at least goes through. Not my hunting bullets.

I've shot enough 1000 yard benchrest to assure that I won't hazard a 800 yard shot at big game that can move in the field. 600 yard max for me. The bullets I mentioned will expand and penetrate. Also wouldn't shoot Eldm's at big game but plenty do. I read that a number of people have the 180 eldm fail to reach the target in fast twist barrels, thin jackets that go poof I'm told. The eldx leaves a big hole in game under 200 yards but at least goes through. Not my hunting bullets.

The eldms perform better than the eldx farther out. Here is a bullet I pulled from under the skin of a bull elk from a 602 yard shot.

Attachments

• IMG_7806.jpeg
    IMG_7806.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9439.jpeg
    IMG_9439.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 89
why would you recommend 162 or less in a for a cartridge designed for high bc heavy bullets. an 8twist is standard and short case allows the long bullets to fit in a regular mag without an extender.

7prc just doesn't do much for me with 180s. With the performance (or lack of IMO) I like 160ish bullets for a good compromise. Anything more and the 7RM gets the nod.

I picked up a load that shoots pretty decent.

Case length 2.268
Primer CCI 250
Berger VLD 168
RE 26 66.3 grains
Coal 3.324
Peterson brass

Peterson brass is heavier than Hornady so there is latitude with powder drop, depending on your brass. I was initially at 66.8 grains of Reloader 26. I cut it back a half a grain due to the weight in the brass difference that I noticed and found magic.

Attachments

• Attachment-1.jpeg
    Attachment-1.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 19