longrange with a 22LR how far have you push them

Being a couple year old thread, I have since spent time working on my 22LR as a viable trainer for LR practice, and 22LR PRS competition. As a result, my current rifle/load is capable of consistent first round hits of .5-2 MOA hits from 10-350 yards (given a solid wind read). This is the maximum range I have tested this set-up. My rifle is a Savage 22LR TR with the factory stock replaced with an MDT Chassis, and a Rifle Basix trigger set at 1.5#, replacing the factory Accu-Trigger. For optics, this rifle shares a Vortex 6x24x50 AMG/ EBR-7, Mil reticle(borrowed from one of my center fire PRS rifles), mounted on a 20 MOA base. My load is Federal Gold Medal HV Match, chronographed at 1170FPS/SD6, G1 BC .128. Programming this info into my G7 and Sig 2400 RF's, the ballistic outputs for elevation and wind are right on out to 350 yards(the maximum range for my clubs rimfire PRS matches). Overall, I'm happy with results of this set-up proving its viability when I ranged and made first shot kill on a crow at 247 yards. My zero was set 100 yards. Outputs: elevation:7.8Mil, 5mph-2o'clock windage:1Mil. With the high dope values used, I like a Mil based scope/reticle for LR 22 rimfire. .
69BE5A3F-D97A-4DF3-B6E5-F7490C5B870D.jpeg
D26D428B-B87D-4180-B93C-E02AA99FD0ED.jpeg

Bringing this back up. Spring is hear. Just out did my personal best of 257 yards on a gopher. I just got one today at 347 yards! All that was sticking up was his head and neck.

Rifle is a old Marlin model 60, topped with a sweet bsa 2-7 scope shooting Remington bulk amo.

Thank you. I will admit it was not my first shot. It was the third one on that gopher. I did get the gun hitting close by a rock that was out where the gophers were. There was a light wind and with a 22lr it move the bullet a lot.

Now to see if I can repeat it!

Being a couple year old thread, I have since spent time working on my 22LR as a viable trainer for LR practice, and 22LR PRS competition. As a result, my current rifle/load is capable of consistent first round hits of .5-2 MOA hits from 10-350 yards (given a solid wind read). This is the maximum range I have tested this set-up. My rifle is a Savage 22LR TR with the factory stock replaced with an MDT Chassis, and a Rifle Basix trigger set at 1.5#, replacing the factory Accu-Trigger. For optics, this rifle shares a Vortex 6x24x50 AMG/ EBR-7, Mil reticle(borrowed from one of my center fire PRS rifles), mounted on a 20 MOA base. My load is Federal Gold Medal HV Match, chronographed at 1170FPS/SD6, G1 BC .128. Programming this info into my G7 and Sig 2400 RF's, the ballistic outputs for elevation and wind are right on out to 350 yards(the maximum range for my clubs rimfire PRS matches). Overall, I'm happy with results of this set-up proving its viability when I ranged and made first shot kill on a crow at 247 yards. My zero was set 100 yards. Outputs: elevation:7.8Mil, 5mph-2o'clock windage:1Mil. With the high dope values used, I like a Mil based scope/reticle for LR 22 rimfire. .
View attachment 93815 View attachment 93816

I would like to put one like yours together. Where can I find the rifle to start with?

I would like to put one like yours together. Where can I find the rifle to start with?
The rifle shown is a Savage TR 22LR. It's exceptionslly accurate and reliable. The stock geometry, barrel, and rifle weight is excellent and feels like a center fire platform. The CZ 455 is another good choice.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/savage-arms-mark-ii-tr-22-lr-bolt-action-rifle
I added a EGW 1 5/8" port 20MOA base for additional elevation.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/6...MIrrbgrbjV2gIVTl8NCh03AArXEAQYASABEgJ9IfD_BwE

The OEM stock with this rifle is actually quite nice and gives nothing up in accuracy to the MDT Chassis that I installed which gives comparable ergonomics to my PRS Center fire rifle. I have a Vortex AMG which is overkill for a 22LR, but I borrow it from one of my centerfire PRS rifles. I have seen shooters using the SWFA FFP that is relatively low cost but quite good. I personally prefer a MiL based scope in FFL for LR 22 rimfire shooting. Lots of different choices for scopes.
https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tactical-rifle-scope-3.html

Every 22RF seems to like a particular brand/type of ammo. For LR shooting I will chronograph and test accuracy at 50, 100, and 200 yards. Generally, Match grade ammo of moderate velocity produces the best results.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.