longrange with a 22LR how far have you push them

bigrich954rr

I was shooting my ruger 10/22 fully custom at 250-275 yards hitting soda cans about 8 out of 10 times with cci green tag ammo. Was really shocked how good the cci was any other good brands to try for long range rimfire shooting. looking to order a case. How far you think i could push this little around. trying for 350 next week if i have enough moa to come up.

Have played at 350 with mine but it is really a hellva hold over. Once you find it(or if youcan dial it) it is a blast until the wind gets ya.

The best I've done was a 220 yard shot on a crow. The gun just doesn't have enough power. Now I just shoot paper and rocks at long range with my 22 lr. I just don't trust the power past 150.

W/a Win target model and one of those long lyman scopes were were shooting at at full size steel coyote @ 500 yds.

Could hit it pretty regular once conditions steadied. They'd change then it was a while before hits were regular and so on.

When dusk came it was impossible to hit the thing.

240 yds on barn pigeons.

A Remington 40-X rimfire target rifle, with a Leupold 6.5x20 EFR scope - in Burris Signature Zee mounts.

Scope was set up with the 50 yd zero at the bottom of the turret adjustment, so I had almost 40 moa of up.

I found that I needed bubble levels on the rifle, cuz the slightest bit of cant threw the round way off.

It worked OK. Barn pigeons don't take much killing.

Speaking of barn pigeons.

When I was very young and very foolish, with my Mossberg semi-auto, I shot a pigeon in flight coming off the top of a silo.

Re: long range with a LR how far have you push them

I have killed groundhogs at 250 to 310. 310 being the longest shot, but rocks and such out to 550yds. Yea getting the hold over spot is tricky but when you find it it is amazing how well they do. I knocked dirt all over a ghog at 375 but the wind was moving pretty good. I'm looking at a mil dot scope to use on mine. That should remedy the hold over some.

Re: long range with a LR how far have you push them

Interesting LR stories. Couple years ag i was out hunting coyotes with a buddy's kids. 1 of them brought along his little Mossberg 22. The kid had a 3-9X Simmons on top,and while we were walking I asked him if i could take a look at it. The reticle was a std. plex design, that looked like it oughtta' subtend close to maybe 6" to the lower post. I'd already started this kid into long-range, so i told him that if he turned the X down to 3 the lower post tip just might give him 18 MOA to the lower post, and with a 50 yd. sight-in it might just get him to 300 yds. or so. On the way back to the truck we passed thru a pr. dog town, and we decided to give it a try. I lasered a couple pr. dogs at 295 yds. and the kid gets set up off his Harris bipod, and shoots. The 1st round hit very close to the dog, so he makes an adjustment and shoots again. This time he flipped the dog bakwards off the mound. Couple seconds later he nailed another 1 off that same mound. Walked over and sure enuf those 2 dogs were laying behind the mound dead. I'll never forget that story really since it was so neat.

wow

Can't believe the killing power at that range. I nailed a crow at 65 yds right thru the heart and the damned thing got up and flew 75 yards before he piled up. Maybe the crows in Ohio are just tougher? His 3 crow buddies flew around for better than 5 minutes raising all kinds of hell till I poofed another one at 100 yds and they decided it was time to leave. Regards...g

We have shot pasture maggots out to where you would hit them and they would get back up looking around for what just hit them! a 10/22 with a mil-dot scope and you can walk the rounds right in, how far out were they I have no freakin' clue we don't normally have good luck with range finders on those little targets but I have been down into the thick portion of the crosshairs but the scope was on 10X and I don't have a drop chart for my 22lr. but it's dang fun to try and hit them way out there. Later,

Kirk

We have a 200 yard range here and i take my boy out there to shoot and we shoot pop bottles at 200, but i dont think we would try to shoot an animal past 100 with it though.

My .22 rimfire long range story: FWIW- I didn't know anything about long range hunting at the time and still don't know all that much but I was fairly handy with a .22 back then as I shot them quite abit mostly at cans or stripey gophers but never anything over 75 yards.

Here goes:

Back when fox were $75 apiece I was an early teen and liked very much to walk the outdoors with gun in hand and a pocket full of ammo with an extra clip for my .22 Marlin bolt action topped with a 4x scope. I would walk until I was out of town onto some of grandpa's land and commence to looking for rabbits, squirrels or whatever quarry would present itself. I had went about 100 yards into the 1/3 mile long shelter belt looking for targets of opportunity
when I heard this whining/crying sound towards the end of shelter belt. Not knowing what it was at the time I continued to walk towards the sound to investigate. At the point that the sound quit I was scanning the end of the shelter belt as best I could and also along the outside of the trees when I saw a fox running across the open field. I rushed to the outside of the trees to get a better look and see which direction it would run and if the fox would offer any decent shot. He evidently had breakfast at the end of the shelter belt and got wind of me or something spooked him and he took off running. It didn't actually know where I was located for sure as it was quartering to my right at a 45 degree angle towards the SW (I was walking E) thus closing the distance to some extent. He was a fur (pardon the pun) piece out there when I first saw him and as he continued to run he closed the distance to where I thought I thought I could start shooting. Now, this was a long time ago so I will use some numbers that may not make sense but you will get the picture. If memory serves me correctly I would say I was holding over about 6ft and had all of that as a lead and as I was shooting, and I don't recall why but it may have been that I saw snow kickup with the shots, I would vary them based on the POI as I saw fit so the holdover and lead were invariably changing. I emptied one clip, then the spare. Had time to reload a clip and emptied that one as well. A total of 21 shots were fired. You now can see how far I was shooting based on the time it took to shoot that many times with a bolt action. I did turn him and he starting running straight south at 90 degree angle away from me and over the hill to where I could no longer see him. I walked to where he last was and low and behold I found some blood! I tracked him for a bit over a 1/4 mile and saw him laying in a small weed cluster in a fenceline still alive and that is where I polished him off. I went and picked him up and walked all the way back home pretty proud of what I just had did. The next day or so dad and I loaded him up and we drove to the fur buyer and I collected my $75. Don't know which of the first 21 shots connected but I can tell you that all of the shots were taken in excess of 200 yards. Lucky shot got him right in the midsection and I would guess lungs but do not know my fox anatomy very well. He didn't pile up right away but he was a hurting unit as he let me get within 60 yards of him when I spotted him to finish him off.

That is my story and I am sticking to it. ;)
1kstr

Last edited:
Just for fun I had my friend, who hunts coons alot bring by the bodies and we layed them out at 200 yards. Just to practice we shot at a pie plate, and I could keep a small group in the center with alot of holdover. We let the bodies sit a couple days while watching crows eat them. After they grew unafraid to us we were able to shoot several before the crows would fly away. Soon, we had them coming back to eat the dead ones, and we probably shot 25 or 30 crows this way, they were not the brightest crows I had ever seen.

Other than that I had enough holdover with a 4x scope to shoot clays at 300 yards, I could hit them about half the time, groups weren't really impressive at that range.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.