longrange with a 22LR how far have you push them

The wind shifted on my last shot in the 5 shot group but my Savage BVSS with a Leupold 6x20 runs close to .5MOA at 200 yards using Remington HP promo/500 bulk pack...

That's downright good shooting in my book. I have found that same ammo is sometimes the one that shoots best in a whole raft of rifles. Really happy for you with the results and for me because you published the results where I got to see them. Thanks.

That is good shooting. It is possible to get the groups down to about 1/2" at 200 yards on a good day or with a very steady wind. I got some heat for claiming 1/2" groups on another forum even with pictures. Good shooting and keep up the good work!

Took my custom Savage out to 300 a few times using cci match. I have a deer feeder at 225 yards and shoot rabbits off it all the time with my .22 suppressed waiting for deer to come out.

I'm surprised to hear all of these stories about the distances you guys are shooting accurately with 22LR's. They're barely supersonic when they leave the barrel.

No matter what cartridge you are shooting, strange things happen to bullets when they dip into subsonic speeds.

I'm surprised to hear all of these stories about the distances you guys are shooting accurately with 22LR's. They're barely supersonic when they leave the barrel.

No matter what cartridge you are shooting, strange things happen to bullets when they dip into subsonic speeds.
For me the key to accuracy in long range 22LR is to not be supersonic. Problem solved.

and

Quality ammo.

For most days I use CCI Standard Velocity. Generally very consistent. I have worked out that my 10/22 prefers Lapua "Polar Biathalon" at slightly faster than "Standard Velocity".

With out doubt Eley Tenex is the best. In either my highly modded 10/22 or my always a work in progress Ruger American Rimfire. Tenex is very pricey.

I feel the desire to order some Norma Target as I have not tried that one out yet.

We have a cadre of guys at the range who are LR 22LR enthusiasts.

#1 is "Off Hand Mark". Mark shoots a Model 52 and a 1903A3 in 30-06. Open sights an only off hand. For 22LR, he brings his own 2" swinger and stands there hitting almost every shot at 100 yards. Then before going home stretches it to the 5" 300 yard swinger. The A3A3 is usually at the 5" swinger at 300 yards.

#2 is "Big Cigar Dave". Dave shoots Savage. Pretty much exclusively at 300yards+. Dave's target is the 5" swinger at 395 yards. Though he warms up on the 385yard IPSC silhouette. Dave does use "hyper sonic" 22LR.

#3 "The Wednesday Crew" these are the volunteers and staff at the range which includes me. Mostly modded 10/22s but a couple of us are switching to Ruger American Rimfire. We used to warm up shooting 5/8" lollipops but that got to easy. Our new thing is 3/8" candies and empty 22 cases on tooth picks. After our little dueling tree games most of us work out to 300 yards or more. This is pretty much all "standard velocity".

This is where I get my 22LR kicks. We have a 3" x 12" "thing". It has a "head" and "shoulders" it is this shoulder area that is 3" wide. The rest is lucky to make 2". I hit it often enough to give me the giggles and I get the "what are you shooting" question.

Ruger 77/22 all weather
CCI mini mags, HPs on both of these kills
166 - Groundhog
151 - Turkey

Not as far as some of you but stretching it for a 22 in my book, 22s are great for learning LR shooting

256 and 283 yards respectively on prairie dogs this spring with a Browning tBolt 22lr with Federal 36 grain Walmart bulk ammo...
She does about 3/4 moa at a 100 yards.

My Savage 17HMR does about the same @ 100-- furthest kill I've gotten with that is creeping on 310yards.... same shooting session as above.gun)

1990's era Marlin 880 SQ 22 cal rifle out to 400 yds.
Weather is keeping us from shooting the 500, 600 and 650 yd target. Ammo tested is off the shelf Remington Golden Bullet , Winchester 555 , CCI Velocitor and Stinger.

video on you tube :.22 cal from 100 yds out to 650 yds part one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leydpzwkdGk&feature=youtu.be

The AB normal guys who shot 7mm , 308 and 30-06 long range 1000 yds plus couldn't believe just how terrible they all were when they shot their 22 cal rifles...

It's a HOOT ....you just don't control the ammo and it goes every where

When winter is over we will try toinish part two

22LR at long range is my favorite thing to do... I'm pretty consistent at 300-400 yard silhouette targets. Don't remember exactly but I believe my personal best was 4 or 5 in a row at a 375 yard torso sized target.

I have had probably close to 2 dozen hits at 700 yards (probably out of 800 shots). It is far from anything consistent but it is very entertaining to watch the tiny little puff appear 3 seconds later... even though most shots don't actually hit the target, just watching them get within a few feet and, in some cases, inches... makes me smile bigger than anything else. Just writing this is making me smile. :)

^^^ I hear ya ! Shooting my 22 out to 550 is a hoot , especially fun is the look
of disbelief on the faces of the range flys when I hit the MOA gong at that range .
Doping the wind is like shooting my 300 Norma at 2500 yards , a lower hit
percentage than I would like , but heaps of smiles per $ and just as , if not
more challenging .

About 500 yds 1 hr before dark , no wind ruger 10/22 Clark custom bbl & trigger , using a plain retical over holding with 6oclock hold in the scope still seeing the target , normal conditions 225 yds shooting small 22 targets !

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.