Long Range thick skin bullets

With a 243 I took my brother hunting and he shot a buck from 35 yards away. The bullet spent all its energy in the deer and there was no exit wound. The biggest part of the bullet went all the way through and just couldnt make it out of the skin on the other side. It was with the 95 grain berger. Not quite comparable to a moose but a close shot that the berger did its job.

I am curious to what happened as Ive heard of some issues of bergers. I suck at shooting anyways so it doesnt really matter:D

It will be interesting to get the rest of the story, shot placement and every thing. I personally only had my hands on and cut two NW Territories moose and what they call moose and what I call moose are not to be confused, I would not shoot those big guys with the 250 without a lot of caution, bullets that open aggressively in 2-4 inches will not be into or just into that kind of moose which is not failing but working correctly just to thick of a target. Heck I shoot the 250's and I wouldn't shoulder shoot an elk at a 100 yards with them, 800 yards I would but not much closer!!

I should have pics tomo ill post when I get them ill post. I guess I was not clear we never was going to use Bergers to hunt buffalo. I was convinced that the berger would perform we'll on moose but it failed. So that makes me rethink what I wanted to use on buffalo. On deer sized game we have had great sucess with Bergers.

Wish your friend had read my posts in this Thread before his Alaskan moose hunt.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/berger-vld-bullets-moose-will-work-116930/

I suspect he shot at the front shoulder or front leg. After a moose has been hit, I've found that they're much less likely to offer a perfect posing broadside shot, even if they're still out in the open and haven't made it into the brush or timber. They often keep moving away offering little more than a Texas heart shot or at best - a quartering away shot. If they remain in the open long enough, they may again expose their ribs.

They're a relatively easy animal to bring down with a single shot from an expanding bullet, placed into the ribs behind the front shoulder. Once I know I've hit them solidly in the lungs, I'll often hold my fire and wait for them to topple over.

this is where alot of guys make a mistake. they buy a big powerful rifle like a 300 ultra or 7stw to hunt at long range and think because its so fast it needs a premium bullet and dont take into account that at 500 yards there 300 ultra is about a 3030 in velocity and those premium bullets are just way to tought to expand. If you know your shooting is going to be at long range your much better off with a good old cup and core bullet like a sierra prohunter or nos ballistic tip. Sure they make a mess out of a deer at a 100 if your not careful but most of us here are good enough shots to be able to put a bullet in the chest of a deer out to 300 instead of on a shoulder and if your not you sure shouldnt be poking away at game farther then that anyway. IMO and many disagee, a premium bullet is good for only a couple things. Making a small caliber gun capable of killing larger game at short range or in a large caliber gun hunting something like bear that your may need some real penetration if you get in trouble. There not the answer for long range deer and antelope shooting. Why risk a bullet that might or might now expand and kill quickly when for a 1/3 the price you can buy a bullet that shoots as well or better and will expand all the time. Ive said it before bullets like the sierra and bt ARE THE PREMIUM DEER BULLETS.

From the reports I got the bullets expansion was to rapid and uncontrolled thus causing penetration loss.

Man, am I trying to stay out of this! I'm just sitn' here eating popcorn and picturing Texas heart shots:D I was thinking about posting a list of who I think will respond in three colums starting with the thin skinned on the Left:

Veggie Bergers............ Mice to Moose.........Locomotive Busters

x .....................................x..............................x..........................
x .....................................x..............................x...........................
x .....................................x..............................x...........................

These bullet discussions are always GREAT!.........Rich

Last edited:
Ive said it before bullets like the sierra and bt ARE THE PREMIUM DEER BULLETS.
+ 1

You throw the Accubond and hornady interlock in there with the sierra pro hunter and the nos bt and you get 99% of the pills I've ever seen flung at game. I've got some barnes loaded (both cup and core and mono) and a few gs, but the nos offerings, the sierra, and the hdy could be all that's offered and I'd be **** happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.