Lead times, How long is too long?

T&Es_Dad

I am currently waiting on my first semi custom rifle build to be completed from a well known smith that i would rather not mention at the time as to not cause any waves.
October 2023 i was quoted a 3 month lead time upon talking with the smith about my build, assuming that was once all parts were in hand.

Here is a timeline so i can get your guys thoughts:

Nov 16, 2023 Donor barreled action shipped and deposit paid for carbon barrel.
Nov 21, 2023 Donor barreled action confirmed delivered, carbon barrel length confirmed for order.
Nov 24, 2023 Carbon stock ordered and shipped to the gunsmiths address
Jan 29, 2024 Carbon stock confirmed delivered.
Jan 31, 2024 Scope rail and rings ordered and shipped to gunsmith
Feb 02, 2024 New scope shipped to gunsmith
Feb 07, 2024 Scope, Rail, and rings confirmed delivered
Feb 19, 2024 Carbon barrel confirmed delivered. I was also told approx. 3 weeks out from starting my build.
Mar 26, 2024 Checked in on progress, was told should be getting to it soon.
May 23, 2024 Checked in on progress, I told the gunsmith i was hoping to use this rifle for the upcoming deer season, Aug-Sep. I was told it was coming up soon.
Sep 24, 2024 Checked in on progress, I was told it would be started that week.
Sep 25, 2024 Asked for pictures, once the build gets started as it was my first rifle build and wanted to see the steps taken as it goes through the process. Was told no problem.
Oct 10, 2024 Still no word from the gunsmith, no updated pictures as i sit here writing this...

How long do you guys typically wait on custom/semi custom rifle builds?
How long should a guy go in betweeen contacts with the builder to check on progress?
I understand these things take some time, im pretty frustrated, Ive been frustrated for months now, but at the same time want to see this build through.
I would hate to ask for all my parts back just to start over somewhere else with another lead time ahead of me.
What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

Your frustration is completely understandable. At this point you are looking to get it ready for 2025 hunting season? If so, perhaps you can afford to wait it out with this individual. He might have had numerous repeat customers that got put ahead of your build. Tough choice for you but good luck on the eventual build.

I am currently waiting on my first semi custom rifle build to be completed from a well known smith that i would rather not mention at the time as to not cause any waves.
October 2023 i was quoted a 3 month lead time upon talking with the smith about my build, assuming that was once all parts were in hand.

Here is a timeline so i can get your guys thoughts:

Nov 16, 2023 Donor barreled action shipped and deposit paid for carbon barrel.
Nov 21, 2023 Donor barreled action confirmed delivered, carbon barrel length confirmed for order.
Nov 24, 2023 Carbon stock ordered and shipped to the gunsmiths address
Jan 29, 2024 Carbon stock confirmed delivered.
Jan 31, 2024 Scope rail and rings ordered and shipped to gunsmith
Feb 02, 2024 New scope shipped to gunsmith
Feb 07, 2024 Scope, Rail, and rings confirmed delivered
Feb 19, 2024 Carbon barrel confirmed delivered. I was also told approx. 3 weeks out from starting my build.
Mar 26, 2024 Checked in on progress, was told should be getting to it soon.
May 23, 2024 Checked in on progress, I told the gunsmith i was hoping to use this rifle for the upcoming deer season, Aug-Sep. I was told it was coming up soon.
Sep 24, 2024 Checked in on progress, I was told it would be started that week.
Sep 25, 2024 Asked for pictures, once the build gets started as it was my first rifle build and wanted to see the steps taken as it goes through the process. Was told no problem.
Oct 10, 2024 Still no word from the gunsmith, no updated pictures as i sit here writing this...

How long do you guys typically wait on custom/semi custom rifle builds?
How long should a guy go in betweeen contacts with the builder to check on progress?
I understand these things take some time, im pretty frustrated, Ive been frustrated for months now, but at the same time want to see this build through.
I would hate to ask for all my parts back just to start over somewhere else with another lead time ahead of me.
What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?
For me that is way too long of a wait for an agreed upon completion date. Some GS, prioritize their workload as:

1. Paid full
2. Part is a L payment/deposit
3. In good faith