Cleaning firearms

Burnt gunpowder
Shane,I was thinking about solvent's and oils getting on the stock.
I swab out the barrels on my rifles so there should never be a smell there. I even swab stinky solvents like Montana Extreme bore solvent with alcohol to make sure the smell is gone.
The wife smelled bad odors on my stock!

Red, I thought about that years ago, when living/hunting in a very wet environment…… but continued to clean and lube my firearms, hoping for the best. But that wasn't out west, it was in an area that 100 yards was Long Range Hunting!

Now, having SS firearms and living in a very dry climate…….they never get cleaned during hunting season.

In fact, they rarely get cleaned…..period! 😉 memtb

The only reason I cleaned the brand new Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor is that I will not use it this year.
I had to clean my 300 win mag as it will be used for hunting elk/Mule deer this year.
My old load of 69.2 grs of IMR4350=2964 fps average but the new lot of IMR4350 is a lot slower!
So I had to ramp up the charge weight to get anywhere near the old velocity. I was cleaning it for the last time this hunting season.
My wife said the bolt stinks too so I cleaned everything with Alcohol after that but the smell is still hanging around she says.
Just got back from Walmart and got some Scent-A-Way and will try that.

Shane,I was thinking about solvent's and oils getting on the stock.
I swab out the barrels on my rifles so there should never be a smell there. I even swab stinky solvents like Montana Extreme bore solvent with alcohol to make sure the smell is gone.
The wife smelled bad odors on my stock!

I know brother...just couldn't help myself.

I have honestly read that deer are not bothered by the cleaning solvent smell. Last time I was able to ask a deer anything, it was already in the back of the truck...

Huh...

When I buy a firearm, I usually leave it in the car for a few days.
Just for the new gun smell. 😁

My bore cleaning is a mixture of Hoppes & Kroil.
For my wood & blued rifles a wipe down with mineral oil.

When the weather is nasty (we don't all live near @memtb ) I wipe my synthetic stocked rifles with spray silicone.
When I get home I run a couple patches of Kroil through the bore, and completely disassemble the rifle. Wipe dry then let ait dry for a couple of days. Then wipe down with spray silicone, assemble.

Luckily I have several rifles with synthetic stocks.