Issues I have with E bike deer hunting want your thoughts

I have no problems with Ebikes... Those folks don't like anything that make hunting easier or more fun.
An E-bike or UTV is a mode of transportation just like a horse. It Why should only horse people be able to easily transport themselves and gear into the back country and not have to carry everything on their back?

Well, being older now and having more difficulty with my lungs now especially at altitude, an e-bike is an option if allowed I would consider. I don't own horses and my ability to bring out a carcass is now more limited. I used to not like Mountain bikes back in hunting areas but have adapted. But to stay in the game looking at all options. Even have started looking at using drones if allowed to locate game

My point…you give an inch, they want to take a mile. Yet no one was willing to throw out the rule book 30 years ago.
Does that include Wilderness Management Areas?
Wilderness management areas allow bikes and horses. Usually. I'm not sure of ALL of them, in every state, but they will have signs that state use. Generally, motorized traffic is limited to trail use only, and improved roads.
You're probably right on that unfortunately.
I'm a believer in Science and proof, and no one has ever presented an argument that Horses are kinder than a bicycle on the land. There will never be 700 e-bikes at a staging area heading into a guys hunt area, they are expensive, don't last that long without a charge, and mine at 85 lbs empty is a brute to pedal when the battery is depleted. We should encourage land use, just not in my Sweet Spot!
Maybe not 700 exactly, but I'd like to see your magic fortune ball. I'm not worried about people driving to my area. I hunt where the animals are, and where people aren't.

As a hunter, I dealing with hunter pressure, and the usual water feed and cover for game. By accomplishing all this, but especially in dealing with hunting pressure on public lands, I tend to go further than the average man, in terrain that a lot aren't willing to go. Edit: on foot

Still, I've seen a lot, maybe not 700, but a lot of dudes usually 60+ in age, patrolling the fire roads. It would no doubt happen in wilderness lands as well.

Wilderness management areas allow bikes and horses. Usually. I'm not sure of ALL of them, in every state, but they will have signs that state use. Generally, motorized traffic is limited to trail use only, and improved roads.
Perhaps, where you are at, but that was not the case here when I first explored it, and it varies from each WMA and their managers. All-access roads at the Beartooth WMA noted below are improved roads, but the Cottonwood access is still not open to motorized e-bikes unless you have permission from the manager.

1697298959699.png

Perhaps, where you are at, but that was not the case here when I first explored it, and it varies from each WMA and their managers. All-access roads at the Beartooth WMA noted below are improved roads, but the Cottonwood access is still not open to motorized e-bikes unless you have permission from the manager.

View attachment 501572

It says what I said. Designated road way and trails. Not all trails. Read the signs.
Edit:
Trail use only being not cross country on designated trails for motorized vehicles, and improved roads if there was confusion.

I guess it would be a matter of legality really. If its legal to be in there on E-bikes then there is nothing you can do about it. If its illegal, and make sure it is, not just your gut feeling, as a lot of places are changing their rules to allow the use of e-bikes, then get the pertinent info and turn them in.

Montana has a lot of areas where no motorized vehicles are allowed. We have walked in five miles before in the pitch black and had someone ride right up to us on the road behind a closed gate on four wheelers. We take a picture and walk out. We get their license plate numbers and turn them in. Very simple procedure to get good results. We have also made complaints about guys on e-bikes only to find out the rules had changed and they were now allowed.

Like I said just make sure of your facts on what is allowed and what is not before you make a move.

Good luck.
That's the problem with hunters these days; they want to rat out everyone because they don't agree with something someone else does. Unless it's your property don't worry about what others are doing. Are you going to receive a reward from the government when you rat on someone? Nope. Too many people can't mind their own business these days. I kayak fish all the time and motor boaters go flying by me with no regard to my safety. I don't cry to the police every time it happens.

It says what I said. Designated road way and trails. Not all trails. Read the signs.
Edit:
Trail use only being not cross country on designated trails for motorized vehicles, and improved roads if there was confusion.
I simply noted that each WMAs is managed differently. Cottonwood access road is restricted for any motorized vehicle, including e-bikes, but the manager granted me access/permission. In short, go directly to the source per FWP recommendations.

Here in BC Canada where I live, an electric bicycle that has a top speed of 32 kms/hr, is considered the same as one which has pedals only. I have yet to see a trail in BC that allows horses, but not bicycles. Although I have seen some that allowed bikes, but not horses. Some are for hikers only, no bicycles or horses.
Although I have seen bikes and horses on them, and nobody seems to care. On a long trail, the ebike would run out of charge before getting too far in anyway.
If a horse is allowed on a trail, it should also allow ebikes in my humble opinion.
Bikes make less mess of the trails, and don't poop all over it either.

I don't know how asking those on eBikes to follow the existing rules gets hikers and horses banned?
Maybe you can explain?

The rules of Wilderness areas- posted at the trailheads- clearly states that nothing with wheels is allowed including pedal bikes and game carts. If those are not allowed, then neither are eBikes.

As explained to me, if an area gets a bunch of complaints, they can and will simply close it to everyone.
That ends people ratting on others, then no more complaints, so less work for those who have to investigate the complaints, and possibly enforce them.

My point…you give an inch, they want to take a mile. Yet no one was willing to throw out the rule book 30 years ago.

Maybe not 700 exactly, but I'd like to see your magic fortune ball. I'm not worried about people driving to my area. I hunt where the animals are, and where people aren't.

As a hunter, I dealing with hunter pressure, and the usual water feed and cover for game. By accomplishing all this, but especially in dealing with hunting pressure on public lands, I tend to go further than the average man, in terrain that a lot aren't willing to go. Edit: on foot

Still, I've seen a lot, maybe not 700, but a lot of dudes usually 60+ in age, patrolling the fire roads. It would no doubt happen in wilderness lands as well.
Maybe were sharing that Magic Fortune Ball "
but a lot of dudes usually 60+ in age, patrolling the fire roads. It would no doubt happen in wilderness lands as well.
Your post says your not worried about folks ruining your hunt but it sure sounds like you are. But I agree with walk in only areas, human feet only.

Honest question. I don't have any experience with this subject. How many of you guys have personally run into others on e-bikes out in your hunting areas?

I never have while hunting, but have a few times while on horse back, or hiking. They have all been positive experiences, nice people, who just went out for a ride.
I have run into rude hikers, who think that they are special, and try to tell others how to live though. A certain special clown, who was hiking, and then wanted to proceed to tell me what he thought I was doing wrong, is lucky to still have all of his teeth.
Few things are more annoying than someone who is out on public lands, and has decided to appoint themselves boss of it. If law makers want to pass a new law, it should be that its legal to knock those idiots out.
Their sheer arrogance is enough to make an otherwise happy person, want to snap, and smack them silly. They really should have become a cop, or fish and wildlife officer.

Does that include Wilderness Management Areas?
I'm sorry, what is a Wilderness Management Area? I know in Montana we have Designated Wilderness (like the Bob Marshall, Great Bear, Absoraka-Beartooth, etc), we have Wilderness Study Areas (like Terry Badlands, Blacktail Mountains, etc), and Wildlife Management Areas (like Wall Creek, Canyon Ferry, Sun River, etc.).

I've never heard of a Wilderness Management Area but have talked and heard plenty about Wildlife Management Areas which are often referred to as WMAs. Seriously curious.

Last edited:
That's the thing. I don't care about your horse. No one except a few jealous people cares about your horse. I'm talking about keeping wilderness wild.

There's are a few horse owners in totality.
Your self guilt about owning one is not a reason to create an exception to a rule, and thus screw up the law and order.

Those are your words about geriatrics not mine.
Funny that's what you jump too.
No I'm using it because I know how old men are. They will drive and patrol every trail, and call it hunting. It will turning things in to national forest fire roads as far as hunting is concerned and will be the policy that erodes the wild in wilderness.

Actually I read the word ' geriatrics ' right in this very thread, used to describe ebike riders.

I haven't any guilt at all about owning a horse, but also do not feel that gives me some special rights because I do.

Lets all just share the land in harmony!

I'm sorry, what is a Wilderness Management Area? I know in Montana we have Designated Wilders (like the Bob Marshall, Great Bear, Absoraka-Beartooth, etc), we have Wilderness Study Areas (like Terry Badlands, Blacktail Mountains, etc), and Wildlife Management Areas (like Wall Creek, Canyon Ferry, Sun River, etc.).

I've never heard of a Wilderness Management Area but have talked and heard plenty about Wildlife Management Areas which are often referred to as WMAs. Seriously curious.
My bad, yes, Wildlife Management Areas (https://myfwp.mt.gov/fwpPub/landsMgmt/search.action?lmlvId=39753319), and I was told they are managed the same as the wilderness.

Horses are used to decrease ones physical exertion of getting into the back country.
E Bikes no different.
At some point when we allow one type of motorized equipment into the backcountry, we would then need to allow another, then another, then another. At this point it is now frontcountry and getting into the backcountry is no longer a thing.

I don't own a horse - horses are expensive - I do someday hope to own some sort of pack stock, if that's goats, lamas, mules, horses, whatever.

The thing is E-Bikes are much more practical and attainable for way more people than pack stock are. Anyone can own, store, and transport an e-bike - stock not so much, you need know how, land, a trailer, a truck, etc.

If we allow motorized vehicles in every single inch of land just because it's public there wont be much backcountry left where animals can find some sanctuary. I don't have a problem with E-Bikes, I've actually been looking at getting one. I think e-bikes just like ALL other motor vehicles should be required to stay on roads, or designated bike trials, period.

If we allow motorized vehicles in every single inch of land just because it's public there wont be much backcountry left where animals can find some sanctuary.
Where I hunt, esp. elk, the sanctuary is provided by private properties/ranches where only the privileged few with $$$ are allowed. 🤬