Issues I have with E bike deer hunting want your thoughts

bowhunter1287

So my day started out with the family on horses we rode 5 miles in and gained 1000 feet of elevation and on way back out ran into two hunters on e bikes. It frustrated me a lot because we were on blm land with no trails and no motorized blm section but what's your guys thoughts on this subject.

I guess it would be a matter of legality really. If its legal to be in there on E-bikes then there is nothing you can do about it. If its illegal, and make sure it is, not just your gut feeling, as a lot of places are changing their rules to allow the use of e-bikes, then get the pertinent info and turn them in.

Montana has a lot of areas where no motorized vehicles are allowed. We have walked in five miles before in the pitch black and had someone ride right up to us on the road behind a closed gate on four wheelers. We take a picture and walk out. We get their license plate numbers and turn them in. Very simple procedure to get good results. We have also made complaints about guys on e-bikes only to find out the rules had changed and they were now allowed.

Like I said just make sure of your facts on what is allowed and what is not before you make a move.

Good luck.

I've no problem with the ones typically used by a hunter like the Rambo and the Bacou Mule. They have a light foot print and don't tear up the trails like motorcycles and ATVs. They make almost no noise and the guys on them are not racing up and down the mountain. There are always exceptions and A-holes. I have a friend with horses but I would consider an e-bike hunt If I didn't. I don't begrudge the good guy who can't afford an outfitter with pack animals that
wants to get farther back than his legs can carry him.

I agree that it comes down to legality. I do also believe that wheeled vehicles of any kind should stay on trails or roads that are designed for them. If these guys were on mountain bikes would you have the same feelings? There's an area that I've hunted a tiny bit that has a closed road, I have every intention of going in there on a mountain bike once rifle season starts to get me farther back faster than walking. I have no issues walking it, but why wouldn't I take the bike?

Last edited:
I kinda feel the same way about a regular bike because there is places on where I have ran into that my horses aren't allowed to be or go. But I also don't believe that a rancher should have the right to drive anywhere they want to go just because they have the grazing lease and then takes people in there on the roads and gets paid for it

Told my wife the other day that if those Ebikes were around twenty five years ago I'd own one. They are quite, don't mess up the land or trails. I don't see a problem with them. I know people feel the back country is for horses and I've made use of them myself. But you can't stop innovation. People always look for a better mousetrap.

In many jurisdictions, motor vehicles include electric and steam power vehicles, not just gas/diesel. However, each jurisdiction is free to make their own rules.
I have NO problem with people using any legal means in the puruit of hunting or other activities. I just wished I could afford one.
Those who have issues are welcome to petition the appropriate jurisdiction for a rule change.

So my day started out with the family on horses we rode 5 miles in and gained 1000 feet of elevation and on way back out ran into two hunters on e bikes. It frustrated me a lot because we were on blm land with no trails and no motorized blm section but what's your guys thoughts on this subject.
Here in MT, it is up to the BLM managers to grant permission to e-bike users. Below is some info I gathered a couple of years ago regarding e-bikes.

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png

Last edited:

Recent Posts