Is the "Tax stamp" a three page document?

I saw that some have photos of their documents on their phones. ATF told us that e-docs are acceptable for firearm stuff but a photo of a document is not an e-doc. Download the actual document to your phone.

Last edited:
I made a copy of my stamps then had them laminated and carry in my wallet, never been asked about my suppressor even on 2 trips to Africa, there its good to have a suppressor, they get it

I made a copy of my stamps then had them laminated and carry in my wallet, never been asked about my suppressor even on 2 trips to Africa, there its good to have a suppressor, they get it
So this is what I am trying to figure out.

Did you laminate a 3 page document and you keep it in your wallet?

Did you just make a copy of the stamp emblem thingy in the top corner on page 1, then laminate that and put it in your wallet?

Did you just make a copy of the stamp emblem thingy in the top corner on page 1, then laminate that and put it in your wallet?
If you're gonna pack it, pack the whole document. The stamp itself is meaningless without the document showing ownership and identification of the item in question

I carry all 3 pages in a zip lock bag, put one in the case, another in my pack, and of course the e-copy in my phone.

I'm not packing the whole document, just the miniaturized first page that shows the stamp, my name, and the serial number of the can. I have the whole e-doc in my phone.

If that doesn't suffice, then it wouldn't matter what documentation I had on me… because I ran into an a-hole LEO.

If you're gonna pack it, pack the whole document. The stamp itself is meaningless without the document showing ownership and identification of the item in question
I carry all 3 pages in a zip lock bag, put one in the case, another in my pack, and of course the e-copy in my phone.
So, I just downloaded the documents to "Files" on my phone.(2 stamps and trust). So I at least now have them electronically with me.
I will probably try to get some more printed off. I see some guys saying keep the originals in your safe? All of this was done electronically through email and over the phone. So I assume that there isn't an "original copy" to keep safe anymore?
I might need to buy some better gun cases. Most of the time we just grab a gun, jump in the truck, drive to whichever farm we want to hunt and never bother with a case.
(in MO it isn't illegal to have a rifle locked and loaded in your rig) Should be that way in every state.

I keep the first page shrunk and laminated in my wallet. I keep copies of entire doc in my truck and e copies on my phone.

State officers( game and fish, sheriff, state troopers) won't check because they do not have authority over suppressors, so they don't care. It's a federal permit so if you ever get checked by a federal officer they will care so best to have all your paperwork in multiple places just in case.

My trust and stamp documents are all shrunk to fold and fit. I took a picture of mine and adjusted it so as to not be able to read. The ink pen is for size reference and they are front and back.
Attachment-1.jpeg

So is the "stamp" the entire 3 page "Approved" form?
No, the stamp is the green watermark looking thing in the corner. Like the Federal duck stamp for your hunting license, for non-eForm it is a physical stamp applied to the form and marked with the date, examiner, and s/n of the item.

Electronic Stamp:
estamp.png

Scan of a marked physical stamp. You can see the borders where it was peeled like like a postage stamp:
stamp example.png

The entire form is generally necessary to verify the item possessed is the item legally transferred, since electronic stamps are not defaced with the item's serial number, and the physical stamp isn't removable from an approved paper form - so why would you have just a physical stamp ever?

I have never been asked for paperwork. Suppressors, SBRs, machine guns, not for anything. I do have access to digital scans for everything, plus printed forms with the machine guns (because those always travel cased when I take them out anyways) if anyone ever wants to force the issue. But it's literally never once happened that I've been asked for them.

If you're being asked for paperwork - maybe you should consider where you are, and then not be there anymore. The person asking isn't your friend.

Do they run everyone's criminal background to ensure there are no felons using their range? Certainly not.
Actually yes, the three private ranges I belong to all require either a valid CHL or a background screening (paid for by the member) to join and renew.

I except nothing less from ranges I join. My mind was made up when I went to a public range in Santo, TX once with a friend. A couple guys showed up to a cold range while we were hanging targets, uncased rifles, and started looking through the scopes at us. Some other idiots were hip shooting AKs at 50 yard targets, skipping bullets everywhere across the range. Will never go back, and any time any one mentions that range I tell them to avoid it all costs if they value their safety.

I told the old guy in the office who was running the place what was going on, he shrugged it off. Fine by me, he doesn't care so I don't care. Trashy place for trashy people.

Don't you have to inform the atf or get permission to bring an nfa item out if state? How does that work?
An approved Form 5320.20 (temporary for up to one year) is required to move SBRs, machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or other destructive devices across state lines. Suppressors don't require a form to transport. Fill it out, mail it in, and they'll send it back to you.

Last edited:

Recent Posts