.257 Hornady A-Tip

It's not my chambering preference, but my friend harvested this bull elk on 10/16/24. IIRC, he harvested a bull elk last year, too, at 600Y with the same set-up.

1729348148048.png

1729348195996.png

Two bull elk in 2 years in a row with the same set-up; he's batting 1.000 at the moment. He also has a .308 Win. .300 WM, and .50 cal, among other things. He's no noob. He does a lot of bullet testing with another LRH member in the ammo business.

As long as he shares any "other" results that might happen to occur, I'm interested.X
He's reading your comment now.
For some reason they don't seem to make the forum chat topics as often as the "look at me" displays. Generally speaking.
It's because there are way too many naysayers.

257 A-tips, this is new. Did I miss what weight they are. If I did sorry for asking.
I like the A-tips, shoot alot of them in different calibers, but I have not shot any animals with them. A handful of guys on forums have and like the results.
So what gr. and twist. Thanks
All 138gr. Twist, still working on it.

The A-tips blowing up at high speeds and killing at low speeds makes them sound like really soft bullets. The 110 A-tip was traveling about 1800-2000 fps at 862 yards. I wonder if the aluminum tip results in even faster expansion than Bergers? The Bergers need to peel the copper off the front of the bullet before they can expand.

If the tip is staying put until impact, I guess it actually initiates expansion?
It acts just like a target bullet, as Hornady says.

Thanks everyone for the input, no need to add this one to the stack.
I like where I am now.

It is always the end-users who push a bullet's applicability, not the manufacturer. Many bullets from manufacturers (e.g., Berger, Hornady, etc.) are clearly marketed as target bullets that end-users have excellent success harvesting game. These people are primarily open-minded. The naysayers will never try to or give them a chance.

It is always the end-users who push a bullet's applicability, not the manufacturer. Many bullets from manufacturers (e.g., Berger, Hornady, etc.) are clearly marketed as target bullets that end-users have excellent success harvesting game. These people are primarily open-minded. The naysayers will never try to or give them a chance.
I agree. That's why I wanted opinions other than Hornady's chosen one for their priority.
Hence the thread.

Recent Posts