I'm in 7's hell or

How's the bolt face on a SAUM? Is there much meat left on the rim?
The bolt is from KAK, so you can decide? I've never delt with (more like shot any) AR's with a magnum face, so I could say. Not sure if the extension is made for a magnum face or the bolt is made for the same type .473" face that could thin out the diameter? What measurements do you want me to check?

There's 30 thou less meat on the rim. .175" on magnum vs .205" on standard. The rest of the lug dimensions are the same. So it does look pretty thin.

Not sure if the bolt material is the same?
Top is magnum and bottom is standard.
20231016_012004.jpg

I'd imagine it would be a high pressure bolt like they use for 6.5 Grendel, due to the thinner rim.
They're (KAK) the only place I can find mag bolt faces for AR's. X-Cal also said that was the only place they knew of too. Maybe Virginia Arsenal makes their own along with Accuracy Systems?

I have my go/no-go's to double check before finishing the build and pulling the trigger. Luckily the LaRue mags have an internal dimension long enough for the Norma 6.5prc ammo I don't have to shorten for the other build. The 7saum ammo will be starting from scratch.

If I don't change any components it'll weigh around 9# 4ozs without optic. Change out some parts for cf and save 6-9ozs. Change the lower to a lighter 1 and save 3-5ozs. If able to go with a lite bcg and save 4-5ozs. Possibly end up with 8-8.5# and under 10# with optic.

Attachments

• 20231205_130710.jpg
    20231205_130710.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 105
If I don't change any components it'll weigh around 9# 4ozs without optic. Change out some parts for cf and save 6-9ozs. Change the lower to a lighter 1 and save 3-5ozs. If able to go with a lite bcg and save 4-5ozs. Possibly end up with 8-8.5# and under 10# with optic.
Tennessee Arms Co just put their Carbon Fiber lowers on sale. I picked one up for an AR10 build and the weight savings is substantial!!!

Adding a new caliber is expensive!! A few yrs ago I cut out a few calipers and it's saved me ton of effort trying to stock components. Good luck on you new rabbit side hole!!
Expensive for sure, bullets, brass, dies etc.

Like you I haven't been a fan of the 7mm's. I had a 7mm Mag when I first moved to Alaska. It was a super light weight mountain rifle that kicked the crap out of me: I sold it after shooting about 5 rounds and never looked back.
Until I built a 7PRC on a Tikka action. This gun is a shooter and I am enjoying it immensely. That said, I am still a 30 cal fan and love my 300WSM, but then I'm not putting it into an AR platform.
akdad hit the nail on the head, I've started cutting down on some of my calibers and it's saving me money to do other things.
I am excited to hear how your AR build goes: I have several myself in 6.8SPC, 30AR, and 556/223 and love them.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
If the 7 MM rem mag kick the crap out of you. What do you weigh about one rifles? Don't kick that much.

Like you I haven't been a fan of the 7mm's. I had a 7mm Mag when I first moved to Alaska. It was a super light weight mountain rifle that kicked the crap out of me: I sold it after shooting about 5 rounds and never looked back.
Until I built a 7PRC on a Tikka action. This gun is a shooter and I am enjoying it immensely. That said, I am still a 30 cal fan and love my 300WSM, but then I'm not putting it into an AR platform.
akdad hit the nail on the head, I've started cutting down on some of my calibers and it's saving me money to do other things.
I am excited to hear how your AR build goes: I have several myself in 6.8SPC, 30AR, and 556/223 and love them.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
That 7 mag you owned wasn't a Smith and Wesson was it? I shot a 7 rem mag in a Smith and Wesson rifle and it was the most absolute wicked kicking mule I have ever shot. It tried to kick the stock under your arm and the muzzle raise was probabaly about 50 degrees up into the sky.
I know several who shot the rifle and ended up with massive bleading scope gashes.

All other 7 mags I have shot seem to have very low recoil compared to a 30-06.