Decisions - Choosing between 7-08 or 308

Two years ago, I saw something that amazed me with a guy shooting a 7/08 in an AR10 at 1000 yards. He was shooting a hand load with Sierra 160g TMK, and he was wearing a plate out at 1000 with some decent right to left wind! I was shooting a custom 308 with 169g Sierra MK and the slight wind pick ups and let ups was tearing me up at the same distance. Goes to show you that BC is king!

I'm no expert , however unless you reload , have a large stockpile of components for the 7-08 & have it all dialed in, it makes more sense to go the .308 route. After the build, which will be fun no doubt, you have to feed it for a long time & there are a lot more components on the shelves these days for .308, not to mention factory loads as well. Good luck.

Nimrod, the Lever powder in the 308 produces incredible velocity with accuracy, right there with a 30/06. You may want to give it a try.

You are right, VinceMule
I haven't tried Leverevolution
CFE223 will launch 150's at eye popping speeds.
Ramshot Tac is great for speed and accuracy with 150's too.
That's what I settled on.
One would have a hard time getting 7-08 up to that speed with 150+ grain bullets.

I love 7's too but that .30 cal exhaust pipe blows gas out like a header on an old V8!!

So.... Recently built my 22Creedmoor ... but i have the itch to build an upper for it.

Then Proof Research just sent some 1/8 twist CF barrels to their Texas distributor (I'm a newsletter recipient). I had previously been thinking of a larger bore caliber to use for OK/NM/TX elk, mule deer, and for nilgai hunting in South Texas.

I have an older 308 barrel in my bin of parts, which is 18" in length. But I could just build a Pistol for a parts bin shorty barrel, which is a 12.5" 308 barrel... I was talking with a friend who built a 20" 7mm08 that he uses for pig killing in Central Texas as well, and he got me to thinking maybe I just leave the shorty 308, and do a 7mm-08 instead....

So here I am... trying to figure out, which might be the best option. the 8 twist 308 will be capable of shooting subs, but also 170-180gr mag length 308 loads, including the new Hammers. If I decided to go the 7mm-08 route, I was going to have to purchase a special order 7-08 barrel from XCaliber in carbon fiber, and would opt for the faster twist as well. The cost of the X-Caliber and that of the Proof is marginally the same. The biggest question, to me at least, is which would be the most ideal to shoot.

Which would you pick, if you were using a gas gun for the above scenarios? Longest ranges would be on the Elk and Mule Deer populations 300-400 yards is my most comfortable range currently due to the lack of areas for me to practice easily or affordably. Our south Texas Nilgai are generally within 150 yards. No subsonic shooting at all, just true brute terminal ballistics with heavier projectiles.

And.... if you were to choose one over the other, what would you think might be the ideal bullet weight to load up for it?

Honestly curious what others opinions are for this scenario.
Another vote for the .308 Win!

I don't own either.
That said I'd go 7/O8. Less recoil but plenty potent for deer. Push a lighter bullet fast for flatter trajectory. Should work nicely for your intended range (300/400yds). From what I've read regarding hammer bullets, probably best to push fast.
I shoot 139gr LRX out of my .280ai and 130TTSX out of my .270 win and have had great results to 300 yards. My muzzle velocity is 3125 and 3050 respectively.

I own both. Not taking anything away from the 7/08 but the 308 would be my pick. Shear number of projectiles available and components. I run a 130 TTSX out of a 18" at 3150 with AA2460 and it's killed numerous Cow Elk out to 310 yards and all were one and done. I also run a 168 Swiss +P that has strong BC with Varget around 2750. Both rounds super accurate and wicked on game. There are some 150 Monos with fantastic BCs also that are incredible in the 308. Good luck!

Last edited:
Pick the bullet weight you most likely will use and then see which caliber is faster and flatter given that bullet weight. I don't buy into the .308 caliber having more of components available. What is the hardest thing to find right now? In my neck of the woods is large rifle primers and they both use those! You probably would have more bullet choices if you reload for the 308, but I would say you have plenty of choices in 7mm. I try to always find the load that is superior in the ballistic department, no matter the caliber. In many cases that is what I strive for when developing hand loads. I am, admittedly, a 7mm freak, but I also know the 308 can do it too! Nothing wrong with it. This is the stuff that makes us tick! Good luck, you really couldn't go wrong!

So.... Recently built my 22Creedmoor ... but i have the itch to build an upper for it.

Then Proof Research just sent some 1/8 twist CF barrels to their Texas distributor (I'm a newsletter recipient). I had previously been thinking of a larger bore caliber to use for OK/NM/TX elk, mule deer, and for nilgai hunting in South Texas.

I have an older 308 barrel in my bin of parts, which is 18" in length. But I could just build a Pistol for a parts bin shorty barrel, which is a 12.5" 308 barrel... I was talking with a friend who built a 20" 7mm08 that he uses for pig killing in Central Texas as well, and he got me to thinking maybe I just leave the shorty 308, and do a 7mm-08 instead....

So here I am... trying to figure out, which might be the best option. the 8 twist 308 will be capable of shooting subs, but also 170-180gr mag length 308 loads, including the new Hammers. If I decided to go the 7mm-08 route, I was going to have to purchase a special order 7-08 barrel from XCaliber in carbon fiber, and would opt for the faster twist as well. The cost of the X-Caliber and that of the Proof is marginally the same. The biggest question, to me at least, is which would be the most ideal to shoot.

Which would you pick, if you were using a gas gun for the above scenarios? Longest ranges would be on the Elk and Mule Deer populations 300-400 yards is my most comfortable range currently due to the lack of areas for me to practice easily or affordably. Our south Texas Nilgai are generally within 150 yards. No subsonic shooting at all, just true brute terminal ballistics with heavier projectiles.

And.... if you were to choose one over the other, what would you think might be the ideal bullet weight to load up for it?

Honestly curious what others opinions are for this scenario.
Wildehunting said it all, 7mm-08 Hornady 150 eld-x. outstanding set-up, I use mine all the time, deadly 7X08 an 139-150 Hornady ammo.

I own both. Not taking anything away from the 7/08 but the 308 would be my pick. Shear number of projectiles available and components. I run a 130 TTSX out of a 18" at 3150 with AA2460 and it's killed numerous Cow Elk out to 310 yards and all were one and done. I also run a 168 Swiss +P that has strong BC with Varget around 2750. Both rounds super accurate and wicked on game. There are some 150 Monos with fantastic BCs also that are incredible in the 308. Good luck!
The 7/08 has plenty of components available. Good brass is easy Lapua,adg,nosler,hornady and more . The bullets range from about 110 gr to north of 170 gr . The advantage of the 308 is the size of the bullet at 30 cal and the increase in bullet weight. I run lapua brass and 140ttsx thru my 7-08 it will push that little ttsx at just under 3100 and a 120 ttsx north of 3200 . Flat shooting and plenty of speed for a mono.

Op specs were a 20" 7mm barrel or 12.5" 308 right? My concern with gas guns are I never get book performance out of them, but I only have 16" 308s. Like others, these rifles like 130g ttsx at 2930 with Varget. Based on that I would hope you could get better than 2800fps with your 12.5", but don't really know. If you can, I might go that route because the other thing I don't like about gas guns is how heavy they can get. I also like suppressors and that pairs well with the shorty.

The 7/08 has plenty of components available. Good brass is easy Lapua,adg,nosler,hornady and more . The bullets range from about 110 gr to north of 170 gr . The advantage of the 308 is the size of the bullet at 30 cal and the increase in bullet weight. I run lapua brass and 140ttsx thru my 7-08 it will push that little ttsx at just under 3100 and a 120 ttsx north of 3200 . Flat shooting and plenty of speed for a mono.
Agree, just not as many as the 308 and the 7/08 brass is more expensive in most cases. ADG does not make 7-08 brass, Alpha does though. 308 SRP/Palma brass is abundant as well and I don't think it's even an option in 7/08. As I said, I shoot both and it's just my personal preference, especially in a AR platform. The OP mentions wanting to shoot heavier projectiles and the 7's length take up more powder in the case than the 308. Also with his barrel choices I'd much rather have a Proof as opposed to the X-Caliber, again JMO.

Op specs were a 20" 7mm barrel or 12.5" 308 right? My concern with gas guns are I never get book performance out of them, but I only have 16" 308s. Like others, these rifles like 130g ttsx at 2930 with Varget. Based on that I would hope you could get better than 2800fps with your 12.5", but don't really know. If you can, I might go that route because the other thing I don't like about gas guns is how heavy they can get. I also like suppressors and that pairs well with the shorty.

OP's specs were also 170-180 grain bullet out of short 20" gas gun (at mag length) to shoot up to 300-400 max yards.

308 in AR10 meets those criteria.

Not saying 7mm-08 isn't good but it's the easy button and happy place for the 308.

Also, unlike bolt rifles…Altering bullet weights to have light fast 120-130's can definitely affect the gas operation.
My S&W M&P10 tells me so.

Recent Posts