Idaho Investigating Technology Limitations for Rifles

Yes…….the "ethical" ones. Sadly, there are some that call themselves "hunters" are not limited/bridled with ethics. This in itself causes the powers that be to intervene……affecting everyone! memtb
Powers that be always only want to stay in power and more power.
I think that Idaho "considered" stopping the use of the 50 BMG for hunting back in the late '80's. Actually, I thought that they had done it.
Of which there was no evidence to support. More game lost from hunting game in thick timber.

The rule was a maximum weight of 16 lbs. This was intended to make the .50's un-shootable.

I have a rifle 16 lbs 4 oz, (not that I hunt with it). This also did not stop LRH.

Biology should be the determining criteria, not PC speech/or an imposed value system.

While we rarely like more legislation, it comes with advances in technology. We'd like to think the various laws are in conservation's best interests, but generally appear to be motivated by special interest groups and finances.
Especially with the ability of the State to create a new revenue stream by penny ante tickets. Speed trap mentality, as tag numbers drop, and NR stream fading they would like something to justify it.

I think it was already mentioned before about no electronics of any kind on weapons. To me, what else is necessary to make things "ethical" or "moral" or "fair chase...." I don't see the need to discuss much more. I think electronics of any kind on your weapon pretty much boils it down to just about as even and fair as it could get. Short of getting into the weeds on regulating and practically overreach, what else could we possibly restrict on a weapon system that isn't essentially the same as it was 20 years ago? I know 20 years ago my system was centerfire, my scope had turrets that clicked, it had zoom and it had parallax. Some people didn't have that but some people did. Take out electronics aided systems ON your weapon and what gives?

Having worked sporting goods, and seen archery equipment sold the night before opening day, (absent of proof) I suspect it caused a bunch of unrecovered animals.

Consistency might be prohibiting Cabelas the sale of such equipment.

Back pre internet The Spokane paper cited a collared elk study, it indicated 1 of 4 rifle elk were recovered, and 1of 5 archery animals.

A Judge recently radically/unilaterally cut wolf trapping season in 50% of Idaho, not because a grizzly has ever been harmed by such activity in Idaho, but because it could be possible.

This decision will be made in the same fashion no logic, no supporting facts, with only emotion, hyperbole, and anecdotal testimony by those that don't like hunting in any form.

If you don't believe its coming Idaho, just look a little west to Washington.

The problem here is obviously not their "little creedmoors". That round is plenty capable for target shooting way beyond 600 yards.
Yep...shot with two guys at American Shooting in Houston on the 600 yd range with their little creedmoors getting ready for an elk hunt. They couldn't shoot for ****, surprised they hit the berm! I asked how they qualified to shoot on the 600 range, they said "what? qualify?" That's right boys, gotta put 5 shots in row in a 6" bull at 300 yds to come over here..."sorry" they said, "we're just sighting in our rifles and wanted to make sure they were sighted in at 600 yards!"

Can't remember which one but I read somewhere that some states have outlawed game cameras!
What about the clubs like ours that have constant 4wheeler/UTV/people traffic in and out of the woods for 60-75 days ahead of the season? It does our herd no favor, to be pressured from July 15 to basically the end of December.

If cameras were used responsibly to manage herds, they would have a lot more value to Me. The vast majority simply high grade. If he's 5.5+ he gets surrounded and killed. Nobody shoots culls or mgt type deer when they are in the vicinity of Him.
Don't want to disturb or stink up "the spot".

I'm all for deer surveys and biologist recommendations, using them. And it would be nice if the people that have 10,000 photos would share anonymously with the Biologist. But they usually do not.

At a basic level, "hunting" is to harvest meat for sustenance of human life. Food to live.

"The State", i.e. the Game and Fish Departments, sell "wildlife tags" to allow harvest of animals, by various means, such as muzzleloader/archery/firearm, for sustenance.

There are "harvest quotas" set by Game and Fish biologists to allow for sustainable populations so the game and fish agencies can continue to make MONEY to operate and PAY THEIR EMPLOYEES yearly. These quotas are enforced by wardens.

Game warden associations have aspirational agendas regarding "fair chase" which is subject to interpretation by the public and the warden associations. Said interpretations can be polar opposites as evidenced by my experience in 2013 when Wyoming updated an antiquated anti-silencer law, which since 2013 allows the use of silencers/suppressors for harvest of animals statewide.

If "fair chase" from the wardens view requires allowing animals the opportunity to escape, then why are firearms, which fire projectiles faster than the speed of sound and result in an animal being struck by a bullet at great distance BEFORE THE SOUND OF THE MUZZLE REPORT arrives at the animal allowed; and why are bow hunters not required to yell "bang" before they release an arrow?

Technology advances. Look at "primitive firearms" and the old flintlocks/cap locks vs modern scoped muzzle loaders are looked upon as "unfair" by many folks in game and fish departments.

During gun season in many states, hunters can use open sights, scopes, suppressors; OR a muzzle loader or an open sighted or scoped handgun in many states

In archery season, the archer can choose a long bow, recurve, compound or crossbow.

Why are muzzle loaders being subjected to scrutiny?

IF acquiring meat for sustenance is the goal of hunting, what difference does the method of acquiring said meat matter?

One pays for the "tag" to harvest one of the "States" animal.
Period.
One can "take" three deer a year using different methods?
Why not three using the same method?

We get tied up in the method and lose sight of the purpose.

Good luck, Idaho.

Fight, Fight, Fight.

Last edited:
The problem here is obviously not their "little creedmoors". That round is plenty capable for target shooting way beyond 600 yards.
My point was (a) they couldn't shoot and needed practice at 100 yds, not 600 yds, (b) it makes no sense to sight in at 600 yds, especially if you can't hit paper at 300 yds, and (c) the lovely little 6.5 Creedmoor shooting factory Hornady Superformance 129 gr SST is inadequate for elk at more than 400 yds IMO

I refrained from posting early on just to see where this went. I developed just as I supposed. Those that I could identify as Idahoan's aren't too concerned but those of you that have zero skin in the game are freaking out.

There was/is no secret conspiracy. This review was sent to hunters quite some time ago soliciting opinions. Some conspiracy.

IDFG is supported by license and tag sales, and some grants of course. They do not receive general fund money. If they cannot support themselves they are in serious trouble.

Times and technology change rapidly anymore and that warrants diligence to preserve and protect the resources of the CITIZENS of IDAHO. And we have a strong and active voice.

If y'all are concerned about overreach you should carefully research the laws that don't get much attention. IDAHO CITIZENS have codified protections to behave in many ways that are contrary to federal laws. As long as we are within our borders we remain free. These "opportunities" increase regularly, dare I say moving in the right direction. NONE of our neighbors can make same claim.

By the way, we are about to get a refund on our taxes (again) because Boise didn't spend it all.